The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 29, 2017, 01:40 PM   #1
Pops1085

Thoughts on the Lucas Oil Extreme Duty line?

I'm seeing Sig recommends them. I'm curious if anyone has experience with the oil or CLP.
Old June 29, 2017, 02:45 PM   #2
AzShooter

I just started using the oil on my Ruger Mark IV. After 1000 round the oil is still visible and the gun is working perfectly. I'm going to see how many rounds I can put through it.

From what I can tell right now, the oil stays put and doesn't deteriorate.
Old July 1, 2017, 06:10 AM   #3
Dozermonkey

Been using Lucas products for years. Good stuff.
Old July 1, 2017, 08:00 AM   #4
Eazyeach

I got a bottle of their high temp gun oil for my ar-15 and haven't had any issues. Gun oil is gun oil. I'm not an operator just a casual shooter. Seems like it stays on good though.
Old July 1, 2017, 09:21 AM   #5
MarkCO

There are two oils. The hunting oil, which is the original, thinner, red and odorless. The Extreme Duty is for SA and FA firearms. The CLP works very well in rimfires.

I have used/tested all of the Outdoor Line Products extensively. The Outdoor line products were formulated specifically for, and based on the requests of owners of, firearms. Only gun oil line with the parent company that actually has a lab. They have tweaked a few products based on feedback as well.

The Metal Polish is the bomb for tumbling with corn cob BTW.
Old July 2, 2017, 08:27 AM   #6
osbornk

My car and guns use the same oil. It's called Mobil 1.
Old July 2, 2017, 08:46 AM   #7
mete

The FBI did tests on lubes not specifically made for guns . The best performer was Mobil # 1 ..
Old July 2, 2017, 08:49 AM   #8
Mike38

Quote:
My car and guns use the same oil. It's called Mobil 1.
Mine too. People claim the chemical make up of auto oil is not compatible for use in firearms. I look at it this way. If modern synthetic oil will keep an Indy car engine working at 12,000 RPM for 500 miles, that same oil will laugh at the job it has to do to keep your firearm working. Those Indy car pistons are going up and down fast, real fast. And it's aluminum in a steel bore. If the oil fails, for just a fraction of a second, that piston will literally explode. I have no idea how fast a bolt on say an AR15 moves, but I doubt it compares with a race car piston.
Old July 2, 2017, 06:27 PM   #9
MarkCO

Motor oil is fine for guns. Motor Oil mixed with ATF is better than most gun oils. I used this mix for many years. Only thing I have found better is the Lucas Products.
Old July 9, 2017, 11:25 PM   #10
reynolds357

I use Mobil 1 0w20 for all my firearms lubrication. I use Kroil in the bore for short storage and Mobil full synthetic wheel bearing grease for long term storage. The only exception would be copper never seize on Glock rails.
Old July 9, 2017, 11:45 PM   #11
Model12Win

And what exactly makes this superior to the other 300+ gun lubes/CLPs on the market?
Old July 10, 2017, 12:01 AM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
People claim the chemical make up of auto oil is not compatible for use in firearms.
Interesting. I've never heard that claim. As far as I know there's nothing in the chemical makeup of any automotive lubricating product that would make it incompatible with firearms.

It's not a very good corrosion preventive compared to the better firearm-specific products, and some of the additives are not really ideal for a carry gun due to their toxicity, but those aren't really compatibility issues. Those are just a function of its intended use not being perfectly aligned with the features that are most desirable in firearm-specific products. It's certainly a good lubricant.
Old July 10, 2017, 03:24 AM   #13
mete

Toxicity - One area where it's best no to use motor oils is as a quenching oil for heat treating .Those high temperatures put lots of bad things into the air and your lungs ! Use a proper quenching oil or a soy oil !
Old July 12, 2017, 10:58 AM   #14
Ike666

This is an interesting read:

https://www.realgunreviews.com/whats...cleaners-lube/

After I read it, I started using Lucas Marine Grease and Lucas Brake Cleaner instead of the more expensive gun-specific Lucas products. According to this review they are exactly the same.
Old July 12, 2017, 11:19 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Moved to General Discussion

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 12, 2017, 11:22 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Interesting. I've never heard that claim."

You need to read some of the IT'S GOTTA BE GUN OIL OR YOUR GUNS WILL DIE!!! responses in threads here in the past, John.

People may not come right out and say it, but my god they walk right up to the door and stick their noses in.

I generally prefer light-bodied greases over oil anyway.

Old July 12, 2017, 03:38 PM   #17
rickyrick

motor oil will destroy your gun in two or three centuries.
Old July 12, 2017, 04:50 PM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
This is an interesting read:

https://www.realgunreviews.com/whats...cleaners-lube/

After I read it, I started using Lucas Marine Grease and Lucas Brake Cleaner instead of the more expensive gun-specific Lucas products. According to this review they are exactly the same.
Thanks for that link. Kinda confirms what I have been thinking for quite some time about products specifically labeled for either gun or fishing use........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 12, 2017, 08:16 PM   #19
gwpercle

I purchased a 2 oz. bottle of Lucas Gun Oil , it just says protects your guns with the latest in lubricating technology . I was in Pep Boys getting motor oil .
Got it home and it's red...look's like a thinned ATF fluid , smells a lot like ATF also.
The stuff costs $2.00 per ounce !...ouch ! The similar look and smell to ATF got me to thinking...ATF is little thick , what could I thin it with ? Kerosene is a light oil, I've used it in rust removal , so I tried it .

The Lucas oil itself isn't a bad thing , it's that cost per ounce .... But I have started using , as a lubricant and general CLP , a mix (50-50) of Dexron IV ATF (32 ozs = $4.27) and K-1 odorless kerosene ( 32 ozs. + $6.99 ) this yields 64 ounces of a very similar , if not the same , lubricant for $0.18 an ounce....two quarts for $11.26...now that is a lot easier to deal with. And as a light oil/CLP does just as good as Lucas .

Another good general purpose oil/ CLP is to mix the Dexron IV ATF with Marvel Mystery Oil (50-50). If you want a heavier or lighter lubricant just adjust the mix. This stuff works just as well.

My dad left two 2 1/2 gallons of the Marvel Mystery Oil in his garage, I think he used it in his boat motor, it was free so I tried it with the ATF.
MMO seems to be a mix of mineral oil and mineral spirits mixed with the ATF it's a good lubricant .

Gary
Old July 13, 2017, 11:03 AM   #20
MarkCO

gwpercle, the Red Lucas Gun Oil is the original and is an odor free thin oil. Mr. Lucas came up with that about 30 years ago now, to give to the countermen at auto-parts stores. A lot of countermen used that for lunch money over the years.

The OutDoor line does include that, but the Extreme is a very different oil formulated in their lab. Lucas Oil is the only gun oil that is formulated in a lab specifically for the intended use, mostly because they are the only company that has their own lab. There have been some tweaks based on shooter feedback over the last 3 years or so, and some new products coming out soon.
Old July 13, 2017, 11:59 AM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Mr. Lucas came up with that about 30 years ago now, to give to the countermen at auto-parts stores. A lot of countermen used that for lunch money over the years."

What, he would give them free bottles and let them sell it and pocket the money?

Interesting way to build both a client base and advocates for your product.

Old July 13, 2017, 01:17 PM   #22
MarkCO

Mike, yes, that is exactly what he did.
Old July 15, 2017, 10:45 PM   #23
Elkins45

50% ATF
25% Mobil 1
25% STP

There is no finer product you can buy for use on guns.
Old July 17, 2017, 09:51 AM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

"50% ATF
25% Mobil 1
25% STP"

YOUR GUNS WILL DIE SCREAMING! THAT'S NOT GUN OIL!

Old July 17, 2017, 11:06 PM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
YOUR GUNS WILL DIE SCREAMING! THAT'S NOT GUN OIL!
Quote:
There is no finer product you can buy for use on guns.
Opposite extremes.

The former is definitely untrue (and obviously meant to be humorous) but the latter is false as well.

The mixture certainly won't harm a firearm and it's probably even a good choice. But saying that there's "nothing finer" simply isn't true. IMO there are other homemade mixtures which are likely just as good or better, and there are certainly other products (both gun-specific and non-gun-specific) which are a better choice.

There are products which are less toxic (a fairly serious concern for a carry gun), which offer similar or better lubrication performance, and which also offer better corrosion protection than automotive products.

Here's some good information on the topic.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=546316