The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 18, 2006, 02:51 PM   #1
vette eaterr
Registration in progress

Ruger factory folding stock--Half Home made

Hi everyone.

Just to get it out of the way, whats the cheapest way to build a full auto rifle?

Anyways, I was able to buy a Mini 14 factory folding stock on ebay. The only thing is it is only the wood portion. The latter half from the looks of it have been long gone. I'm going to make my own folding assembly as close to the original as I can. My problem is that I have never seen a working model or a good close up picture of the working mechanism. If someone has a factory folder and a digital camera would it be possible to get up-close pictures of the folding hindge and folding butt?

Thanks,
Bob
Old January 18, 2006, 03:36 PM   #2
shaggy

Quote:
Just to get it out of the way, whats the cheapest way to build a full auto rifle?
Buy or rent a facility with industrial or light industrial zoning, obtain all local and state business licenses, make sure you get any required permits for hazardous waste and/or do any required environmental impact studies, file for an 07 FFL, pay the $500/year fee for an SOT, pay the $1650/year ITAR fee to the State dept., make sure you have enough lew enforcement and private clients to justify your existance and license to BATFE, file the F1 with the NFA branch and make the weapon. Of course, if you don't doenough business to justify your existence you run the risk of being charged with tax evasion and perjury. If or when you ever want to lose or give up the license you have to destroy the weapons or sell them to a qualified buyer. Otherwise you will be in possession of unregistered and post-sample machineguns and subject to numerous felonies.

Of course, you could do it illegally, but that just gets far more expensive than uying a legal registered transferable when you figure in the cost of attorneys fees.

In short, you can't unless you are fully prepared to devote a substantial portion of your life and savings to being in the business and doing it as a licensed manufacturer. And even then you are really only 'renting' weapons until you lose your license at a cost of about $2k/year (or more) for just for the licenses.

You can, however, BUY a legally registered machinegun that was made and registered with the NFA Branch at BATFE prior to 5-19-86. While the manufacture and registrtion of new machineguns for civilian use and possession was prohibited in 1986, those that were made and registered prior to then are legal and grandfathered under the law. They'er quite expensive, but again the cost of a $10,000 M16 pales in comparison to what you'llspend for an attorney to try and keep you out of prison.
Old January 18, 2006, 11:33 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I admire your ambition to restore the stock but it's cheaper and easier to buy a Choate. Choates are lighter, easier and more comfortable to use since you're putting polymer to your face and not the cold metal of a Ruger folder.

Now, as to the full auto Ruger AC-556, that uses an entirely different receiver than the Mini-14 and the trigger groups will not interchange. True, some parts of the trigger group are the same, but the AC receiver is slightly longer and thus the trigger housing is slightly different.
Old January 19, 2006, 11:08 AM   #4
vette eaterr
Registration in progress

I apologies, the full auto question was a joke, I have just seen alot of people on here looking for a quick fix for turning their rifle full auto. In my experience full auto is useless, but to play the devil's advocate the only way full auto is worth something is in something like an M60, where the rifle is heavy enough to control fire.Three shot burst is better but most people I've seen still end up sending the last two rounds in the clouds.

Thanks for the info on the Choate, I know it would be easier/cheaper but I have time and equipment and would like to give it a try.
Old January 29, 2006, 05:59 AM   #5
blume357

hey Vette

I've been on the Firing Line forum for a while but never to the full auto part. I have a cd on the mini 14 and it has a section that explains how to make one full auto.. is a bunch of work, but can be done with a lathe and other standard machine equipment...but then you can get your but in a sling quick with one of these.

As for the folding stock, I prefer Butler Creeks. I have both Choate and Butler Creek folding stock on my rifles. If you want close up photos just email me privately.