The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 25, 2007, 01:43 PM   #1
davlandrum

Holster while hunting

Not sure I will get the most responses on this board, but thought I might get the best.

I am curious to what type of holster people use if they carry a side arm while hunting. I always carried a pistol while rifle hunting and they have changed the regs in Oregon (in the last few years) so it is legal to carry a side arm while bowhunting as well.

My regular holster is a hassle with a pack on, so was curious what others used.
Old May 25, 2007, 02:10 PM   #2
EEEZNOW

Just use a Fobus or something or something similar..
Old May 25, 2007, 02:38 PM   #3
fisherman66

Bianchi strong side, but I might switch to a shoulder holster soon. I'm thin waisted and a tight belt doesn't help as much as I'd like.
Old May 25, 2007, 03:05 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Ideally, something non-leather to keep your scent down - leather absorbs sweat and other scent-rich substances. Not to mention its own strong scent.

I have an over-the-shoulder chest holster/sling rig made of nylon for a scoped Dan Wesson .357 mag revolver.

I have a nylon (Uncle Mike's I think) belt-slide holster for my Taurus 4410 .45 colt/.410 shot.

Normally though, it's just the 94 Taurus .22 revolver loose inside my hunting fanny pack, being the only "sidearm" I carry.
Old May 25, 2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Scorch

I use a cross-draw holster for my 5-1/2" Redhawk if I feel a need for a holstered sidearm. Getting in/out of a vehicle or on/off a horse is easier with a crossdraw. If I am hunting with a revolver, I wear a shoulder holster because of the longer barrel, but generally avoid shoulder holsters because of the straps that might get under the rifle butt if I am shooting a rifle.
Old May 31, 2007, 03:32 PM   #6
davlandrum

Thanks for the responses - and apologies for the delay in the thanks. I am in the middle of starting a new job and it is seriously interferring with my computer time.....at least my personal computer time.
Old May 31, 2007, 04:19 PM   #7
rantingredneck

For my Ruger SRH I use an Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder holster. If I'm just carrying one of my autos I'll use a fobus paddle. Comfortable for all day carry.
Old May 31, 2007, 10:05 PM   #8
LHB1

Since I hunt deer, hogs, etc. with a pistol, my choice is a S&W M629, 6.5" barrel, 2X EER Leupold scope. I found the best way to carry this pistol is in a shoulder holster under my jacket. Couldn't find a shoulder holster for it so I had to design and make my own. Worked really well. Wouldn't put Alessi or Sparks out of business but it functions well and looks good too. Main thing is it is really comfortable to me. If I were carrying a shorter barreled, non scoped pistol, I would probably go with an OWB holster by Alessi or Sparks.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old June 1, 2007, 09:17 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've carried a 7-1/2" Redhawk in a crossdraw rig when birdhunting during deer season. Protection against an irate buck, of course.

I've always done a lot of walking hunting, and carry my rifle mostly slung over my right shoulder. That wipes out a right-side carry. I've carried a coup-de-grace pistol in a shoulder holster, occasionally.

Art
Old June 4, 2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Polishrifleman

I carry a 642 in my back pocket.
Old June 4, 2007, 09:43 PM   #11
Ratsrepus

Galco SAO for my Blackhawk.
Old June 5, 2007, 02:36 AM   #12
moose fat

I carry my Mountain Gun in an Uncle Mikes verticle shoulder holster mostly. I do have a S&W leather strong side w/snap and a Bianci Ranger nylon strong side for rainy days. The strong side belt holsters get used more durring berry season.

For my plinkers I have a nice El Paso 1942 Tanker holster for my Tarus and a Pancake belt holster for my 1911A1/Kimber .22 conversion.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/

Do a "Holsters" thread search.
Old June 5, 2007, 11:29 AM   #13
Nevertoomanyguns

I use to hunt with a strong side hip holster but hunting all day with a big ole 44, Ruger super black hawk hunter 7 1/2 inch barrel, on your hip and even with my smith 686 6 inch starts wearing into your hips. It also gets in the way when I sit in a tree stand so I switch over to a shoulder holster and it has been a lot better for me.
Old June 7, 2007, 06:28 PM   #14
UniversalFrost

I carry a Beretta 96 in an uncle mikes shoulder holster to take care of the pesky feral pigs or the occassional stray dog/coyote. When in snake country I go with a ruger vaquero or blackhawk with a shotshell loaded every other round In a chest rig or shoulder holster.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old June 7, 2007, 10:19 PM   #15
ch47gunner

I don't hunt with a pistol so whatever holster I'll be using will worn strong side (right) if I'm fly-fishing. Or left side when slinging a rifle on right shoulder.
Old June 7, 2007, 11:34 PM   #16
skeeter1

I used to go squirrel hunting using my 6"-barreled S&W M35 as my primary firearm. My cop brother got me a Busheimer black basketweave holster & belt some 30 years ago as a gift, and it fits it just fine. It's more than a bit clunky, and no way could I use it along with a backpack, but it was fine if I was just going out for a few hours. I've got a Swiss milsurp holster for the Beretta, and that might work well with a pack.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA101-44747-2228.html

It was only $8, and better than I expected for that price. Sometimes I get lucky.
Old June 8, 2007, 10:08 AM   #17
Edward429451

I've hunted with a strong side belt carry while hunting and by the end of the day my hip hurt bad. Switched to a drop leg holster and that was better but did have issues when I wanted to sling my rifle on that shoulder.

Now I have a crossdraw cross chest holster for my 7.5" RH. I haven't worn it hunting yet, but I did camping. No fatigue, easy access and no sling problems.
Old June 12, 2007, 12:10 AM   #18
T-Bear

You haven't stated on the sidearm will be. That will help out alot. As for me, it's a 7.5" Super Redhawk, one heavy pistol, so I wear a uncle mikes shoulder holster. Sometimes I forget I am even wearing it during my trips. You want a holster to distribute the wieght in various places so to prevent fatigue in a 1 spot.
Good Luck in your search.
Old June 12, 2007, 05:21 PM   #19
jhgreasemonkey

I use an uncle mikes for my redhawk.
Old June 13, 2007, 12:05 PM   #20
john in jax

I don't hunt with a handgun so when I carry in the woods it is CCW and for "protection". Pretty much the only change I make is going from my "city" guns, 1911 types in Safariland paddle holsters to my "woods" gun, a 4" GP100 is a high-ride, DeSantis, pancake holster.
Old June 13, 2007, 01:54 PM   #21
davlandrum

Thanks for the inputs. Sorry I was vague on the original post. It is CCW, not for hunting. I carry a Ruger P345. The main thing I hate is my waist belt on my pack rubbing on strong side belt cary. Seems like I might have to go shoulder hoslter, but don't want to interfer with bow string....
Old June 25, 2007, 07:58 PM   #22
Uncle Salty

I've used two: for a large scoped relvover I'd recommend the Bandito from Pistol Packaging. For a smaller chest carry go to WestWoods Landing.

Last edited by Uncle Salty; June 25, 2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: eta link