The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 15, 2014, 11:38 AM   #1
maillemaker

Got my first Smoothbore!

Well I picked up a used 1842 this weekend from a fellow teammate. So I can now shoot in all 4 categories: revolver, musket, carbine, and smoothbore!

Steve
Old December 16, 2014, 02:34 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Ah, Steve . . . you forgot one category. What about cannon? That was the real reason a bunch of us always traveled to Winchester twice a year - the other categories are just "icing on the cake" . . . That phase is in my past now but I sure did enjoy it!

Enjoy that new (to you) '42. I always wanted one of those as it's a nice musket. Let us know how it shoots. You'll have fun with it! Enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 16, 2014, 11:04 PM   #3
maillemaker

I have worked on cannon crew as either of the back two positions, but I don't think I will ever actually own a cannon. Too rich for my blood.

Steve
Old December 17, 2014, 11:54 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I wish we had the NSSA here in So. CO or Northern NM. Those team shoots look like a lot of fun.

BTW, at our last informal match the fellow with the smoothbore out shot me with my rifle. Target was an "X" at 50 yards. His sights are spaced apart for aged eyes. It took me a while to figure out to wear my reading glasses. By then, it was too late.

Next time I'm bringing a white stick with a red tip.
Old December 17, 2014, 12:50 PM   #5
maillemaker

Hey Gary, they just started a new Individual Membership.

It's currently just set up as a probationary membership to give you a chance to be able to shoot without picking a team right away.

But I kind of envision this as a way to grow the N-SSA into places where there are currently no teams or events.

Right now you'd need a minimum of 10 like-minded folks to have two teams to compete against each other, not to mention people to host the event.

I envision individual memberships where 3-4 guys can get together for a weekend and just shoot individual targets. Maybe at the end have a single "team" shoot at breakable targets just for fun.