The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 26, 2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

Glock 35 - Make Competition Ready

I just bought a G35 with the intention of gaming with it. I would probably shoot it primarily in USPSA/IPSC shoots because I reserve IDPA for my carry weapons.

I'm struggling with a few ideas and was hoping to get some feedback or experience from someone who's done the same.

If I'm shooting IPSC I want to shoot Open division.

The first thing is I gotta get a Red Dot. Thinking of a rail mounted model, haven't found brand yet.

I'm going to have to buy a barrel with traditional rifling, so really my biggest dilemma is caliber. I'd love to get a 9mm conversion so I could wade through an IPSC stage with one or two 33 round mags. BUT I don't plan on hotrodding 9mm so I'm not sure if I could make power factor with 125 grain lead bullets. I'm a little worried about reliability going with a smaller caliber but it looks like extractor and recoil springs are the same as a 34.

I can't find any factory (or aftermarket) mags for the .40 that have good feedback. I have found some 29 round mags...just don't like user reviews. I know I can make power factor with these guys, already have a nice stiff load worked up. BUT I think I'm sacrificing competitiveness in Open if I have to stick with 17 round mags.

I know there are lots of other things you can get like weighted plugs or guide rods...I even saw some kind of flared magwell (NO IDEA WHAT IT IS CALLED). Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions about where to go from here?
Old August 28, 2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Citizen Carrier

I think the place to start would be Lone Wolf Distributors.

The Glock 35 should already have the 3.5 lb disconnector to reduce trigger pull.

Maybe give one of these a try:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=4709

The Lone Wolf Distributor trigger overtravel stop. Eliminates unnecessary movement of the trigger after the shot has already been fired. I had one on a Super Gadget Glock I initially made up for GSSF matches.

Might consider a Springco recoil reduction system too:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=158

Ain't cheap though. One of these was installed on my National Match M9 pistol.

I had one of the Mako scope mounts on my gadget gun. Didn't like it. If it were me, I'd compete in the iron sights categories rather than have the big, unwieldly scope up there and have to worry about weird holsters to carry it.

That being said, if you want to go with a red dot, I'd go with a small unit that mounts to the rear of the slide. Not something that looks like the Brooklyn Bridge mounted to the accessory rail. Like one of these:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=4909

Bomar or MMC adjustable iron sights are great. One of those and the narrowest front sight blade, plain black, you can find that corresponds to the height of the rear sight. I wouldn'b bother with the factory Glock adjustable rear sights.

Anything else you can think of to add weight, like mag wells or mag extensions, whatever, is up to you.
Old August 28, 2008, 03:53 PM   #3
RickB

USPSA's member magazine, Front Sight, had a feature on Open Glocks. I don't think it's the current issue, but the one just prior.
Old August 28, 2008, 11:27 PM   #4
eerw

might be some good ideas for you here..

Glock Jockey

C-More is the way to go for red dots...there has been some good luck with Doctor sights as well.

9mm to major will need a little hot rodding, but can be done if you are careful and take precautions.
Old August 28, 2008, 11:49 PM   #5
glockopop

SJC also now makes a convertible mount for Open. It slides onto the gun and is secured to the gun via the accessory rail and one of the locking block pins. You wouldn't have to make any permanent changes to your gun, and it looks pretty sweet!

If you're not dead set on Open, the Glock 35 is competition ready. I shot my first 2 years of USPSA in Limited with a bone stock Glock 35. Didn't even change the sights for a year. Once I did, I was glad I had. SJC as linked by eerw above is a good resource, as is dawsonprecision.com.

Whatever you decide to do, rock our with your Glock out!
Old August 30, 2008, 09:30 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

experience

Might I suggest that the Glock does not an ideal Open Division gun make.

I can recommend the model you have for Limited Division, or perhaps L10 if in California.

I most highly recommend visiting some USPSA matches and seeing for yourself what folks use.
What they use is often based on what works.....

(9mm Major Glocks break).
Old September 1, 2008, 08:35 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

just so you know

You can use your "carry weapons" for USPSA if they fit any Division.

You can shoot USPSA just like IDPA, but you won't place well.

Magazines used for USPSA have length restrictions.

Actual competition experience has repeatedly taught me that as long as the equipment is reliable, it is not an equipment race; it is an "execute properly on demand" race.
Old September 1, 2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Sigma 40 Blaster

Thanks for the feedback guys.

WESHOOT - I am beginning to think the same thing...we have started doing informal Steel Plate Challenge stages at my local range and I have seen 1911's and an M&P turned into what I call space guns.

I wanted to do the same initially with this Glock but after playing with a spacegun this weekend I figured I'd have to do so much training with the red dot to be proficient with it it'd probably be counter productive to my real reasons for shooting. It does look like it could be a good training aid for dry work but not sure I want to start relying on it instead of iron sights.

I shot in a regional IDPA match this weekend and found I outshot a lot of shooters with IDPA legal gaming guns or super high end customs with my stock XD 45. I also got outshot by a lot of "normal" guns by highly trained individuals.

I'm leaving my Glock as is, I still haven't got to shoot it yet but I'm probably just going to get a "normal" barrel in .40 and leave the conversion stuff on the table for now. The bad thing about these competitions is it's TOO EASY to get caught up in winning instead of really improving.
Old September 1, 2008, 10:13 AM   #9
mtlucas0311

First off, I should say that I shoot bullseye and PPC, not what your looking to do but I think it applies well. You'd probably be best served by going to some larger matches and seeing what the better shooters are running and make choices from there. I'm sure thats not what you want to hear, but the odds are your not going to be winning any matches right out of the gate so having the cutting edge gear shouldn't be a big deal. I would think they have some type of stock class you could shoot if you don't want to feel under equipt. Every person who I have seen come to a match with a bunch of gear they bought because it was recomended ended up trying to seel a lot of it or otherwise replace it with something different that served them better.
Old September 1, 2008, 10:16 AM   #10
mtlucas0311

looks like I type to slow, sounds like you made a choice while I was typing!