The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 5, 2017, 09:59 PM   #26
ThomasT

I mentioned reform 308 brass to 35 Remington in an earlier post. Here is a link to the brass in case you are interested.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ired-Mil-brass
Old February 6, 2017, 08:10 PM   #27
hammie

@ratshooter: I saw that in your first post and went to the castboolit website and looked it up. I was curious about how they did that because the .35 remington has a smaller case body and base diameter. It looks like they turned the base down on a lathe. Seems a lot of trouble to me, but they claim the cases will last longer due to the thicker .308 brass. Midway has .35 remington brass available for 30$/50 pieces. I'd just buy that. I don't think that hornady makes brass themselves, and so I always thought that hornady partnered with federal for their brass. Not entirely sure. Maybe someone else knows.

I have a marlin 336, chambered for .35 remington and will not part with it, but what I would really like would be a remington 7600 pump, chambered for .35 remington.
Old February 6, 2017, 08:23 PM   #28
dgludwig

I also like the idea of a Model 760/7600 chambered in .35 Remington. Almost as much as one chambered in .35 Whelen...
Old February 6, 2017, 10:31 PM   #29
ThomasT

The 35 rem brass made from military 308 is supposed to be some good stuff. And I looked up the 35 rem brass that 44amp mentioned at midway. What I wonder about their brass is if it is full length or cut short for the FTX bullets. Several have mentioned that when they went to reload the brass from flex tip rounds the brass was shorter because the FTX bullets are extra long and to make the OAL correct Hornady shortens the brass. It would take a call to Hornady to find out. But I bet its good brass.

Hammie the Hornady brass at $30 for 50 rounds is the same price as the reworked 308 brass. He charges 60 cents each. Or $60 for 100 rounds and he adds a few extras. Thats $60 for 100 Hornady brass.

And I bet it is a bit of work to make them but since I'm not the one doing the work it matters not to me. But it looks like you end up with brass that should last many loadings.

I forgot to add but a "friend" (I use quote marks because the dirty rat won't sell it to me) has a remington 760 in 35 Remington he bought for $100. And its unfired. I don't want him to give me deal. I will pay market value for it. But he knows I want it and refuses to sell it just to aggravate me. And it works.
Old February 7, 2017, 07:28 AM   #30
dgludwig

I guess you don't need any enemies with the "friends" you hang with.
Old February 7, 2017, 10:40 AM   #31
Salmoneye

The Hornady .35 Rem brass is not one of the ones that is shorter than SAMMI...

I have a box right here that was given to me at the range fall before last...

Good brass...
Old February 7, 2017, 11:32 AM   #32
ThomasT

Quote:
I guess you don't need any enemies with the "friends" you hang with.
You don't know the half of it. All my "friends" are crazy. The guy that has the pump would probably have sold me the gun for what he paid for it until he saw how much I wanted it. Now everytime I see him he reminds me of it. He even sends messages through one of his brothers to tell me he still has the gun and its still unfired. Its all a game. We are good friends and I have known them since they were just young kids.

Salmoneye thats good to know. I figured if it was branded Hornady it was good brass. Have you actually measured a fired case for length?
Old February 7, 2017, 12:15 PM   #33
shootbrownelk

Ratshooter. That's a nice Marlin. Midway has .35 Remington ammo, Remington/Winchester and Hornady. Those .35's are great short range stoppers for Deer, Elk, Moose or Bear. Have fun with it.
Old February 7, 2017, 12:24 PM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

While I haven't personally checked, the only "short" brass I have heard about is the Hornady .45-70 stuff with the pointed plastic tip bullet. Never heard any mention of short brass in any other caliber from Hornady (or anyone else..)
Old February 7, 2017, 01:34 PM   #35
Pathfinder45

Hornady's loaded 45 Colt ammo uses short brass when loaded with flex-tip bullets ONLY. It's not as short as 45 Schofield brass, and presents a problem for reloading when it's time to apply a crimp. You could ask me how I know, but we are discussing the 35 Remington here, and on that note I will say that I am not a fan of those flex-tip bullets. I don't know if Hornady uses short brass with FTX bullets in their loaded 35 Remington ammo, but if they do, you would probably want to avoid that ammo if you expect to reload the brass with other bullets. Whenever you choose a rifle in a less than really popular caliber, it becomes all the more important to get well stocked up on ammo for it, as you never know if you can find it when you want it.
BTW, gotta love those straight-grip Marlins.
Old February 7, 2017, 02:14 PM   #36
Blindstitch

Maybe you should tell your friend that once a gun leaves the gunstore it becomes used whether fired or not. Then send him a picture of your new gun.
Old February 7, 2017, 05:19 PM   #37
ThomasT

Quote:
While I haven't personally checked, the only "short" brass I have heard about is the Hornady .45-70 stuff with the pointed plastic tip bullet. Never heard any mention of short brass in any other caliber from Hornady (or anyone else..)
Thats good to know. With me its really a moot point because I don't buy factory ammo. Every new gun gets a set of dies and the bullets and brass to go with it. if I can't reload for it I don't buy it. And no I don't reload 22s or 22 mags. You all know what I mean.

Pathfinder I don't buy into the gimmick flex tips either. I said so in the 375 winchester thread. I would love to see a high speed video of those in flight. I bet that rubber tip is as flat as a pancake. I think the whole secret to that line of ammo is its just loaded to higher velocity. And John Barsness made the point that "nothing flattens trajectory like velocity, at least out to 300 yards".

Blindstitch don't worry. He will hear about it. Knowing him he will then offer his gun for $300. And if he does I'll buy it too.
Old February 7, 2017, 08:51 PM   #38
FrankenMauser

I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one, but I know for certain that Hornady produces 'short brass' in at least:
.45 Colt
.45-70
.444 Marlin
.30-30

However...
It is ONLY the brass used for factory LeveRevolution ammunition.
All component brass is full-length, and all standard loads use full-length brass.

And, I know that .35 Remington, at least as of last year, did not have a 'short brass' load on the market. The .35 caliber FTXs were designed to work with standard neck length.
Old February 7, 2017, 09:08 PM   #39
Tony Z

GarandT: show was at a half empty strip mall. Show started decades ago in Monroeville at the Expo Mart, thrn were at vacant strip mall near the Ross Park Mall. That strip mall is being renovated and the shows moved to Butler.

Do a search for "PA Gun Collectors Association" for future show schedules, which are held quarterly.

I am replying like this as, for some reason, I can't quote in my replies.
Old February 8, 2017, 08:43 AM   #40
Salmoneye

Quote:
Salmoneye thats good to know. I figured if it was branded Hornady it was good brass. Have you actually measured a fired case for length?
Oh yes...

All I was given was the brass after two nice gents fired the box...

I have loaded the cases pretty stoutly with 180gr jacketed (within book) a half dozen times, and they show no sign of damage or failure...

For grins, I just measured 5, and they all came in at 1.910"...
Old February 8, 2017, 04:13 PM   #41
GarandTd

Tony Z, I'll have to check that out. I worked at the Days Inn in my late teens and I remember gun shows being held there, but it's been some years.
Old February 8, 2017, 06:20 PM   #42
Tony Z

PGCA is a good show, made up mostly of gun collectors andealers of new & used firearms. The group does a good job of keeping the show focused on firearms, though there may be a few tables of knives and militaria. There is another gun show still held in Monroeville, but the last time I attended (2 or 3 years ago), gun tables were definitely in the minority.
Old February 8, 2017, 06:56 PM   #43
gw44

I have 4- 35Rem guns I also hand load, I have no trouble finding brass & bullets, some of the reason could be I live in Michigan, lever guns are used here a lot so the LGS keep ammo in lever gun calibers -35rem-30/30-348-358-45/70 and a lot more but you get the picture !!!!