The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 7, 2017, 03:40 PM   #1
Joe-ker

10/22 bolt spring upgrade

So I stocked up on some cheap--ya cheaper ammo and I can't get through a clip without an empty hanging up and yes gun is clean. Federal non jacketed. These guys look like they have a nice kit with a lighter spring that I'm sure will take care of my problem. Just curious if anyone here has used this.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Bolt...ings_p_34.html
Old February 7, 2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Fishbed77

Maybe because the 10/22 feeds from magazines and not clips?

Seriously though - what is the nature of the malfunction? Failure to feed? Failure to eject? Stovepipe? A lighter recoil spring may exacerbate the problem.
Old February 7, 2017, 05:17 PM   #3
Jiggy300

I had the same experience with the hangers and I narrowed it down to the grease/wax that they use on the 22, a quick wipe off when loading the magazine helps.
Old February 7, 2017, 05:30 PM   #4
Pahoo

Just saying

Quote:
Quote:
So I stocked up on some cheap--ya cheaper ammo
Okay, That is entirely your choice but I feel you are treating a symptom and not the cause of your problem. The last time I had this problem was when I used some Federal Bulk-Pack ammo. Besides not wanting to cycle, I had other problems. Even with a lighter spring, you might encounter other problems. Just saying !!! ......

Be Safe !!!
Old February 7, 2017, 09:22 PM   #5
Joe-ker

Stove piping is the problem. Yup Pahoo this is federal bulk pack. Finally got some ammo around and feel like wastefully throwing lead through my hammer forged and can't get through 10 rds. Gun probably hasn't ran more than a few hundred rds through it- maybe needs some breaking in. I cleaned it and lighty oiled thinking the same as Jiggy. I just figured these economy loads are probably light and a lighter spring might help?

Reread jiggys post- I never thought of the wax on the cartridges being the culprit. That makes sense as jacketed didn't seem to be an issue IIRC. I may have to wipe some down and give her a whirl. Thanks.

Last edited by Joe-ker; February 7, 2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old February 7, 2017, 10:10 PM   #6
Evan Thomas

Before you start changing out parts on the rifle, get a few boxes of better quality ammo and find out what it likes. .22 rifles (even 10/22s) are notoriously picky eaters -- even if your rifle will run the cheap stuff after changing the bolt spring (not a given), it may still not be as accurate as it could be with different ammo. With any .22, finding out what ammo it prefers is a normal part of getting the best performance from the rifle.

As Pahoo said, if you change the spring you may just run into other problems.
Old February 8, 2017, 12:02 AM   #7
Chainsaw.

You might want to try deburing the firing pin and the bolt. I had a 10-22 that would hang up for no apparent reason every now and then. I used a fine file and a medium stone to knock the edges and high spots off of each. As well I made sure any burrs in the casting on the inside of the reciver were knocked down. Followed by a polish with some mothers (not necessary)
Helped immensely.
Old February 8, 2017, 12:19 PM   #8
9x19

Polish the bottom rear edge of the bolt, and the hammer face... cocking the hammer requires more effort than over-coming the recoil spring.

Some folks will grind a radius on the bottom rear of the bolt to move the point of contact higher up the hammer face, increasing the leverage of the bolt and allowing the rifle to more easily cycle, even with std. velocity ammo.

If you're curious, check out rimfirecentral.com and look at lots of pics of that bolt mod. If you do the bolt radius, invest in a bolt buffer pin to replace the bolt stop pin the receiver. The increased rearward thrust can accelerate wear at the pin/receiver hole.

Good luck.
Old February 8, 2017, 12:30 PM   #9
bfoosh006

Just went through the same issue with Fed. 510, 710.... I replaced the extractor, extractor spring, ejector and the charging handle and spring.... Only God knows how many rounds I have fired with the OEM parts.... and the extractor was clearly wore out compared to the new one.

Even the charging handle and recoil spring were obviously wore.

Bottom line... it works perfect now... and the parts really cost very little.

Cycling The "Action" now feels much tighter.

After fixing it... it was obvious the only reason it was ejecting was because of the blow back action.... and without the extractor "holding" the spent case... the ejector wasn't able to do its job.