The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 7, 2014, 12:21 PM   #1
stagpanther

Back from the range--part2

OK--as you know I've had my share of trials and tribulations--things improved somewhat this morning.

Yesterday my LGS magically became stocked with gobs of BP stuff which he did not have last week. Despite being vastly over-priced--I scored some new powder and some sabbots to try out--up till now I've been firing powerbelts with very poor results.

Conditions were less than ideal--in the 20's with base winds of 17 gusting to 35 from about 4:00. However--this is close to what I often get while hunting in Maine, so why not.

First up were TC bonded core 250 shock-waves driven by 110 gr BV (by volume) of blackhorn 209. Had to spend a few rounds to get on paper first--but still a vast improvemnet over the powerbelts--getting a very acceptable 2.25" at 100yds--clearly besting the best I can do with a sabbot through a shotgun.

Next were 250 gr hornady SST's driven by three pellets of IMR white hots. They blew everything away that I had tried up until now--my very first shots without re-zero placed just above the TC group for a group just about 1".

The target has odd-looking key-hole like holes because it's very old target paper which had space between it and the backing cardboard (and it was flapping in the wind)--also there were some other holes in the back board so a couple of the holes (which I put my finger through ) are not really as big as they appear.

Unfortunately another weakness of the rifle became apparent--just laying the rifle on my shooting table, upon picking it up and scraping the barrel along a metal flat edge easily scraped off the bluing off the barrel--which really looks more like just very-thin black paint. Oh well, ya get what ya pay for as they say.

Old December 8, 2014, 05:00 PM   #2
BirchOrr

Now thats a little more like it! Nice!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old December 8, 2014, 05:29 PM   #3
stagpanther

Thanks for your help! ; )
Old December 8, 2014, 07:49 PM   #4
BirchOrr

Anytime!

I'm just glad to see that you are getting things dialed where they need to be. A little tweaking of the scope, along with the white hots seem to be what your rifle likes. Go with it and put some venison in the freezer!

Go get'em,

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...