The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 9, 2001, 04:16 PM   #1
EOD Guy

I recently purchased a new M1A and am having a problem dismounting the operating rod. I can feel the notch in the receiver but the op rod will not come off. I have disassembled several M14's and have not had this problem. It there a trick to this or is there a problem with the receiver?

Rich
Old April 9, 2001, 07:30 PM   #2
jimc

sometimes it requires a little patience. on my nm it taked some gentle persuading for it to come free.
had one where it was moderatly a tight fit, and required the use of a flat tipped blunt object (screw driver) to give it that extra nudge that was needed to come off
Old April 11, 2001, 09:30 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

This has been a common problem with late M1As. You may have to use (carefully) a Dremel tool and a rotary file or grinder and cut that notch in the receiver a little bit on the top side. The alternative is to trim the lug on the op rod a bit, but I would prefer to cut the notch and leave as much on the op rod as possible to give it guidance in movement. Don't use a lot of force, as you can break the lug off the op rod.

Jim
Old April 13, 2001, 07:03 PM   #4
Q-Man

I had this same problem with my op-rod. It still requires just a little more force than I can muster with my bare fingers. I always end up wrapping a piece of thick protective cloth around the op-rod handle and using an appropriately sized pair of pliers. This is dangerous because you risk damaging the finish of the receiver and op-rod. Not to mention you might bend or break something. One of these days I will smooth the little step that prevents the op-rod from easily going into the notch, but I don't have a Dremel tool yet.

As I understand it, you shouldn’t be taking an M1A apart very often anyway as it can loosen the fit of the rifle in the bedding. Furthermore, it’s not that necessary to take it apart to clean it—maybe just once in a while.
Old April 14, 2001, 08:05 AM   #5
EOD Guy

Thanks for the replies. I finally got it off with a little patience and the help of a 6 inch screwdriver. I didn't use any force but just let the weight of the handle give the op rod a little direction. I don't intend to take the rifle apart very often. I just wanted to give it an initial cleaning and make sure that everything was lubricated properly.

Rich
Old April 14, 2001, 09:24 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, guys,

The business about not taking down the M1A (M14 or other M14 clones) is primarily for match rifles which are carefully bedded and which often have parts made into permanent assemblies for better accuracy.

The regular M1A is a military type rifle and is made to be, can be, and should be, cleaned regularly, though not necessarily after each range session. This includes cleaning of the gas cylinder and piston area.

I recommend at least use of a cleaning rod and patches with a good bore cleaner after any firing. Fortunately, all milspec 7.62 NATO is non-corrosive, so that concern is absent.

Jim