The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 8, 2019, 02:37 PM   #26
Jim Watson

Quote:
The main driving reason the XD seems to fall out of favor is the simple fact the market has been flooded with similar firearms.
I think that says it all.
The Cool Guys are way past Glock, S&W, and XD. Also beyond HK and Walther.
The Beretta APX is the Latest and Greatest.

Quote:
Springfield can’t design nor produce a pistol that is not 1911 pattern
They didn't design that one, either, did they?
Old May 8, 2019, 02:50 PM   #27
precision_shooter

No they didn’t design the 1911, but was giving them very little credit for designing some variation or another of the original 1911. Adding a rail or some such other nonsense...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 8, 2019, 02:55 PM   #28
Americanpatriot

I had an XD long ago don't recall how long after they started selling them. I kept mine a short period of time. I didn't care for the gun very much. I didn't like the trigger, the gun sounded like a rusty pogo stick and it was too top heavy. Lots of people liked them, just wasn't for me.

Last edited by Americanpatriot; May 8, 2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old May 8, 2019, 05:53 PM   #29
Cheapshooter

Quote:
A Glock and most other striker fired guns, at rest, does not have the striker under full tension. In theory it cannot go off due to mechanical failure because there is not enough tension on the striker to ignite a primer. A XD, and some others, have the striker fully tensioned when at rest. In theory a mechanical failure that allows the striker to go forward could cause an accidental discharge.
But the XD has a safety
The biggest difference is Springfield doesn't nearly give them away to police departments like Glock does.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 8, 2019, 05:59 PM   #30
Nathan

^^^^BINGO! We have a winner!
Old May 8, 2019, 06:05 PM   #31
mr bolo

I like my XD9 Sub Compact , it just feel right in my hands, I like the weight & size , it handles good, it also looks really cool with the squared, blocky appearance, kind of a hybrid of a Glock, it just feels like it's built heavier duty than other polymer 9mm's

with the 3' inch short barrel it's like a "snub nose" sub compact

with only a limited number of semi auto pistols available in California, I cant afford to be too picky, the XD's are solid, reliable firearms, but they may be obsolete in other states that have all the newest models, the XD is old news to some people.

XD's have a pretty long track record over 20 years service
Old May 8, 2019, 08:20 PM   #32
buckey

I've been carrying a XD-s 9mm since they came out and that won't change anytime soon. It does every thing I want and need and its gone bang every time, this one I trust.
Old May 9, 2019, 06:29 AM   #33
Lohman446

Quote:
But the XD has a safety
Because the design is inherently unsafe and needs one (No not really).

I don't think the XD or any number of polymer striker fired guns are falling out of favor including the Glock. Its just the pie is only so big and more and more manufacturers are entering the market. Since the pie isn't getting bigger these manufacturers are left with smaller slices as they are divided by more and more manufacturers.
Old May 9, 2019, 06:36 AM   #34
TunnelRat

Here's another point. What has changed about the XD lately? Other manufacturers come out with new generations, new models, etc, seemingly at a rate faster than Springfield Armory. Besides adding a "Grip Zone" I don't feel like Springfield Armory has done much lately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 9, 2019, 06:39 AM   #35
Lohman446

True. Even "Glock Perfection" changes every couple years. Might be adding finger grooves, might be taking them away. But there is this generation and the last generation and if you don't have the current generation you are not one of the cool kids though exceptions can be made if you have like 3 generations ago because then your retro. Still if you have last years model its like wearing white after labor day or something.

I think people never give Glock credit for how good of a marketer Gaston was and is. That and some other sketchy scenarios but Glock is VERY good at marketing.
Old May 9, 2019, 09:36 AM   #36
kenny53

I was at the range with a buddy and he has a new single stack XD 45 acp. It is suppose to be his new carry gun but he never carries it or any other gun (sigh). I have shot this XD a few times and I can't maintain a good grip on it. I wrap my paws around it and it turns in my hand after every shot. No other gun does this to me. So I will stick with Glock, M&P, 1911 for my carry guns and be happy.

Last edited by kenny53; May 9, 2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old May 9, 2019, 01:13 PM   #37
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I don't feel like Springfield Armory has done much lately.
Because as far as the gun itself goes, they don't need to. Of course marketing to an internet, and media obsessed market without proclaiming "great new advancements" might be a problem.
Old May 9, 2019, 01:57 PM   #38
TunnelRat

A company that doesn't understand the importance of marketing is frankly a poorly run company. Lots of great products have died from lack of good marketing.

While we're on it, I don't agree that all changes have been just marketing. To me the changes to Glocks, M&Ps, P320s, etc. have been ones that I appreciated as a user. I've owned an XD and an XDm. Neither was so great that I thought no changes could be made at all. Do product evolutions help generate revenue? Of course, though they can also benefit the consumer. A company that passes up chances to generate more revenue is a bit misguided imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 9, 2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old May 9, 2019, 02:21 PM   #39
puppyface

bought one (XD 45) bought 15 years ago, super reliable, great trigger. There is no doubt in my mind that SA's marketing and advertising pushed the price up on these Croatian pistols. There was little interest in the HS 2000 as it was formally known , and I believe the price was much lower. The name "Springfield Armory " makes a big impression on people, even though it is merely a name and nothing more. There is nothing left of the original company.

Last edited by puppyface; May 9, 2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old May 9, 2019, 03:06 PM   #40
sigarms228

I have never owned an XD but have shot my son's XD45 a few times. It seemed to be a decent pistol but nothing to make me want to own one. I don't think the XD like was ever "in favor" all that much and certainly no where near Glock. It seems the grip safety turned a lot of people off to it, way more than those that may have wanted it. Glock had already developed a very favorable reputation that Springfield XD seemed to never come close to achieving.
Old May 9, 2019, 03:27 PM   #41
sevt_chevelle

Maybe its cause Springfield got caught red handed selling out to the antis.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...the-long-haul/
Old May 9, 2019, 11:58 PM   #42
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Maybe its cause Springfield got caught red handed selling out to the antis.
Like Smith & Wesson did?
Old May 10, 2019, 04:39 AM   #43
stagpanther

I measure value differently. I bought my XD 45 when they were first introduced.

It has never, ever, had a failure of any kind in my shooting. (except a user-error induced one when I let someone else shoot it: not properly inserting magazine or racking, the rather stiff racking being the one bone I'd pick about the gun, but no big deal for me)

Despite my generally poor technique and bad eyesight--it generally puts the bullet close to where I aim--with consistency.

It's still my chosen first line of home defense--despite the many other handguns (many of which were more expensive) I've purchased since I bought it.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 13, 2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old May 10, 2019, 04:28 PM   #44
sevt_chevelle

Quote:
Like Smith & Wesson did?
And yet some guys still wont touch a S&W because of it.

Me personally, I like my CZs and S&W MPs
Old May 10, 2019, 04:34 PM   #45
MarkCO

Never liked the XDs much at all. Stopped shooting Glocks and went to M&Ps and would gladly sell the few I have left if I could get anything for them. CZP09 fan these days.

Kahrs, Glocks and 1911s are the fall backs that I'll always have a few of each.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:31 PM   #46
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision shooter
Springfield can’t design nor produce a pistol that is not 1911 pattern so they bought a well designed Croatian-made gun, slapped their name on it, and yes increased the price 300% over what the same pistol sold for when it was known as the HS2000.
So, you stuck to your claim as they increased it 300%, even when others have provided dollars to donuts they actually may not. The price at the retailer isn't necessarily up to Springfield. Therefore, the water is pretty murky to begin with to support your assertion.

Yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by precision shooter
300% in my example may be an over-exaggeration, but the fact remains of a ridiculous price hike once Springfield put their name on it.
...it appears you just proved my point.

Quote:
Glock never offered their pistols under any other name except Glock.
So? Consumers spend roughly the same amount of money on a Glock as they would an XD. They're either paying for Glock's R&D or Springfield's efforts in importing a platform and making it a success over here. Capitalism at its finest, eh?

Quote:
You say Springfield were upfront, and maybe they mentioned it at some point. We will just have to agree to disagree about what being “upfront” is... Anyway, I digress. You seem to like the XD, I don’t and stated why. You, nor anyone, have to agree with my view.
When you have the Reece family and their staff openly explain at our gun shows/stores the history of the HS2000, how they spent a lot of capital to import and market it, and how they bolstered careers in Croatia as well in Geneseo, Illinois, I pretty much think that's "upfront". I used to live a stone's throw away from Springfield. Pretty much everybody within a several hundred mile radius of the QC area that visits the local gun stores and frequent gun shows were full aware when they bought an XD, Springfield isn't the manufacturer.

The crux of the matter has nothing to do with convincing you, me, or anyone else the validity of Glock/Springfield, etc. It's about providing honest information on this board. In the end, I'm not so concerned with whether Springfield was "upfront" about their source as much as people making a false assertion to pass off as truth which misleads those that are seeking actual facts.

Maybe I outta add to my original statement that the XD might be falling out of favor due to dismissive "misinformation" that may cause others to shy away from them...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 13, 2019, 06:14 AM   #47
JJ45

First, the consensus here is that the XD platform is super reliable...Personally, my interest is in auto pistols that function, as intended, ALL of the time. Accuracy, ergonomics, ease of maintenance, while very important, are secondary concerns to reliability/durability and the XDs are iron clad in this. This, of course, is an opinion based on MY experience.

Second, the OP asked "has the XD fallen out of favor" My question is, when was it ever in favor, by whom, and compared to what??... except by me and other individuals who actually own and shoot the pistol.

I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, it hasn't been adopted by LE to a great extent except maybe Croatian military and police...so the fine XD probably never was "in favor" to a great degree.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:40 PM   #48
precision_shooter

Insert Slow clap here. You’ve worn me down to idgaf what you say status.
Find this vast marketing material and post it. Find where when people brought up the XD they were made aware, by Springfield, they were purchasing a $200 pistol for $500. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

Fact is, the XD didn’t become popular until 2005ish and by then Springfield already owned them for several years. So you’re telling me Springfield continued to tell everyone how they are buying a rebranded hs2000 even years after buying the rights? No, no I don’t think they did.

Quote:
It's about providing honest information on this board.
Pot, meet tuttle...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 13, 2019, 01:25 PM   #49
Cornhusker77

I've got a few XD's and Glocks.
M&P's, CZs, Sigs, etc.
I like them all.
I shoot the XD's better than the Glocks, but I still like my Glocks.
My guns are for fun mostly, and variety is the spice of life.
I'm too old to go to war, I'm not likely to become a vigilante, police officer or soldier of fortune.
Right now, I kinda like my CZ P-09 for punching holes in paper, but the others get used too, even the night stand Glock will see a little action once in a while.
If one gun worked for everybody, they'd just make the one.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:11 PM   #50
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Why should I spend anymore time with someone being caught asserting embellishments as facts? You admitted you don't care what I say. So, why should I continue to provide evidence that supports my claims upon which you refuse to accept. Instead, you want to imply I embellish as well?

No, thanks. You've already been taken to the wood shed. It's high time to redirect this thread back to the OP's intent.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting