The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2018, 10:34 AM   #1
njsportsman

Progressive Press

I am thinking of upgrading to a progressive press. I have been loading for about 2 year now and want to upgrade. I knew this was in my future but on the advice of more experienced loaders I went the single stage route first. I'm glad I did but now it's time to move on. I have some questions on the accessories. The bullet feeder. I have looked on pages to try and gauge and see if they are caliber specific or like a case feeder you just need to change the case feed plates inside the hopper about $40 a plate. What is up with the bullet feeder? Do you need one per caliber or can you just change plates or hoppers? RCBS for example has a bullet feeder for pistol and one for rifle which and is about $600ea. Dillon I got the same impression. Please clear this up for me. Basically how does the bullet feeder work? Thanks and Merry Christmas
Old December 24, 2018, 11:10 AM   #2
daboone

I don't think, if you go with the 550, it's necessary to do those add ons. Once you learn the rhythm loading just flows for both case and bullet placement. But I love reloading lots of different calibers and the 550 is perfect cost wise and setup time.
If it's mass production to accommodate high volume range time then think about the 650 or the LNL. However the 550 keep me, my 3 sons and 6 grandson well fed in ammo. We shoot almost every weekend.
Old December 24, 2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Nathan

I can load as fast as I want on the basic Hornady LNL press....about 5000 per year with limited time in the reloading room.

I think you would find it good to 15000 per year.

If you want less time investment or more rounds, try the LNL ammo plant or the Dillon 1050!
Old December 24, 2018, 11:30 AM   #4
njsportsman

Actually I am looking at the RCBS Pro Chucker 5 progressive. I found it for $539 free shipping and RCBS has a $175 mail in rebate for purchases over $500. I enjoy spending time in the reloading room so, as i would like high production I don't need to do it in a day. I just need to understand the bullet feeder which from more research I think I found my answer and that is; you need to buy 2 one for rifle and one for handgun which is kinda of costly at 400-500 dollars per but, I don't think I would get the rifle one because I think I want more control and precise methods of reloading. A matter of fact i would probably still use my single stage unless I am loading .223 rounds for plinking. My hunting rounds and long range i would use my single stage.