The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1
flashhole

Sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good

Last spring I picked up a new Kimber Longmaster Classic in 223 Remington. I started in on load development with some good quality 55 grain bullets. I couldn't get them to shoot worth a darn no matter what powder and primer combinations I tried. Everyone else was raving about the accuracy of the bullet and I thought my gun was screwed up. I tried a different 40 grain bullet I had on hand and started shooting one hole groups so I knew it wasn't the gun. I settled on the Sierra 63 grain Semi Point and it shoots really well.

I picked up some 60 grain Hollow Point Boat Tails for a good price and tried them with BL-C(2) powder and was disappointed in the results. My wife suggested I go to the range today as she was going to be gone all morning. She drove off with my target stand and my rest. Oh well. Can't sweat the small stuff.

So, I loaded up the same 60 grain bulelts with some IMR 4895 that I had tried with my 45-70 (another disappointment). I wasn't expecting much as I just threw the loads together using a Lee 1.9cc dipper cup powder measure and some FL size range pick up brass I had sitting on the bench. This target was at 150 yards and I was shooting off a wood block and a rolled up rag I used as a rear bag. Looks like a keeper.

Are you ready for civil war?