The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2009, 11:39 PM   #1
firemancope

Bullet works bullet's

Has anyone here used the bullets from Bullet works. They seem like a great deal.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Christchild

Don't think I've ever heard of them.

Any info? What's their "M.O."?
Old October 29, 2009, 11:49 PM   #3
firemancope

Their prices sem to be very resonable, maybe too much. Heres the site.

http://www.thebulletworks.net/default.asp
Old October 30, 2009, 12:15 AM   #4
Christchild

$100-$112 per 1000 isn't bad, but when I loaded .45 ACP, I bought 1000 Nosler Custom Competition Sporting JHP 185 grain for (I think) around $130.

While $30-$18 IS a savings............

Not a bad price, however. If You shoot alot, that amount will add up.

LongDayJake, is a member of TFL. He sells plated bullets, and recently posted a Thread about some "tests" he performed on 2 of the brands of bullets he sells, and concluded one brand was better than the other.

If You're interested in Plated Bullets, maybe check with him. He might beat the Bullet Works price.

While I don't have ANY idea about his asking price, it may be worth looking into, if You're interested in plated bullets.
Old October 30, 2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Longdayjake

Since I was mentioned I figure I had better chime in. Going by the pictures of what bullet works is selling, I can tell you that they are not the same thing that I sell. I don't know what brand he is selling, but they look similar to the shape berry's makes but the color is a little different. Before you buy plated bullets, make sure you research the limitations of the big name brands. I sell Powerbond bullets which should be loaded as though they were jacketed bullets. Berry's, Rainier, and others recommend using lead cast data. I am still testing berrys and powerbond and though both are working, the berry's are way more difficult to load without deforming the nose and stripping the plating. This is because they have a thin plating. If you compare bullet works prices with mine, the prices are pretty close after shipping. All the prices on my website include shipping whereas his prices add shipping afterward. If you do buy from him make sure you know what brand he is selling you because not all plated bullets are created equal. The berry's that I loaded all deformed on the nose while being seated. Though its not too big a deal for plinking, it may affect accuracy or feeding.
Old October 30, 2009, 11:24 AM   #6
margiesex

What he said....

For what it's worth - I've been shooting and loading Jake's bullets now for some time - for myself and family and friends (just ordered some more yesterday, actually) - they load and function flawlessly. And I'm speaking over 9 and 40, not just one caliber.

The accuracy has been excellent as well.

And, they are clean aka make a wonderful looking loaded round and I can see no fouling, either.

I'm sold on them and will use them as long as he can supply them.

God bless.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old October 30, 2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Foxbat

Well, not bad, but not too good either.

I looked at .40 180 grain bullets... $96... sounds good, BUT... plus $14 shipping!

That's $110 for PLATED bullets, and today I ordered 3000 of JACKETED 180gr Precision bullets... for $106 per 1000 - DELIVERED.
Old October 30, 2009, 12:50 PM   #8
SQUAREKNOT

I have been buying bullets from S&S Casting in .38, .40 and .45. Beautiful
bullets! A thousand 230gr hardcast .45's are $70.00 plus freight and you can get 2000 shipped for something like $13.00. Takes about three days to get them.
http://shop.snscasting.com/main.sc
Old October 30, 2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Longdayjake

Quote:
I ordered 3000 of JACKETED 180gr Precision bullets... for $106 per 1000 - DELIVERED.
Link please!
Old October 30, 2009, 03:33 PM   #10
putteral

Here is the link
http://www.precisiondeltasales.com/
Old October 30, 2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Foxbat

Precision Delta is a wonderful source, unfortunately they constantly out of stock. I called today and asked what they had in stock in .40 caliber - they said 180's were there... I recommend calling before ordering them.
Old October 30, 2009, 04:48 PM   #12
flashhole

longdayjake - I was looking at the 223 bullets you offer for sale. It was not clear to me if the price included shipping. Can you clarify?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old October 30, 2009, 05:24 PM   #13
Christchild

FireManCope, check this out...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=382068
Old October 30, 2009, 06:06 PM   #14
Longdayjake

Shipping is always included in all that I offer.
Old October 30, 2009, 06:10 PM   #15
Longdayjake

Precision delta has some awesome prices, but because of it you are going to have to wait. Here is a link to a thread on THR that was started in march. apparently people are still waiting on bullets that they ordered in July. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=436105

I wish I could compete with those prices, but they have the advantage of being a manufacturer. Atleast I can beat their ship times.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:20 PM   #16
Randy 1911

I use www.thebulletworks.net all the time. It is a very good bullet. He is local for me. They are some of the best cast bullets I have ever used. They are clean and not sticky. I have no connection with Ken, but I really like his bullets. The only draw back is he only sells by the 1K. He is located in Van Buren, AR.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:34 PM   #17
DavidAGO

.357 Mag Ruger vs. Smith loads

sorry, wrong place

Last edited by DavidAGO; October 30, 2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: wrong place for the post
Old October 30, 2009, 10:54 PM   #18
Shane Tuttle
Staff

While you have to wait for Precision Delta, I have to give props to them regarding their prices and communication with me regarding backorders.

I ordered 3000ea 230gr FMJ .45ACP and 1000ea. 115gr. FMJ 9mm bullets from them in late August. They called me about 4 days later to let me know the .45ACPs would be delayed until October sometime and the 9mm in late winter. October 5th was the date I received the .45ACPs. Fast enough for me...

The only problem I saw was one of the batches is 38 bullets short. I haven't cracked into the other 2000 yet to see if they're in there or if I'm shorted. I also haven't called Precision Delta to ask for a resolution, so I don't know what their service after the sale is, yet. They did very well loading and shot well, too.

In the near future, I'm looking into purchasing bullets from www.rmrbullets.com. Their prices, although a bit higher than Precision, are definitely lower than plated bullets from other companies. I wouldn't necessarily boycott Bullet Works. They've been an honest business providing a product like anyone else out there.

That's my take.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting