The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 19, 2007, 08:52 AM   #126
Mach II Sailor

hot dang !!

Quote:
Try Engine Shield.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/engine.htm
i was just joking about this, but it is for real !! and by damn i just might order some, my ol Ford Bronco will be 30 years old this fall and she is still in great shape.

ooooooh !! i run a patch thru my Grandfathers .22 Stevens Derringer, which has never been cleaned that i know of and the crap that come out of that barrel was unbeliveable !!

thanks George
Old July 19, 2007, 12:14 PM   #127
gcfennell

Thank you!!

Thank you all guys for such good reviews so far. (I won't even say "I told ya"... ). You'll all experience even more values to the Weapon Shield in time.

Let me answer a couple of questions some had.

Quote:
One question: What is the temperature tollerance? Always wonder this. Thanks.
-75C to Burn-Off, which is usually around 500F prox. What you WILL notice in repetative firing, is that the Weapon Shield can literally "vapor off" due to intense heat, but the advanced boundary film (ABF) remains, continually lubricating and preventing seizure. We've actually set the forward wood grips of AKM's and AK-47's on FIRE...with no disfunction (needless to say we had on welders gloves). Yeah...we had a few "cook-offs" too

Quote:
How well do the silicone and Weapon Shield work together. If repeated applications of weapon shield build more layers of protection and lubrication, does the silicone cloth interfere with the process?
No...not at all. The Weapon Shield's ABF Technology is surface reactive. It competes for the surface and wins against other products and technologies. There are no "laminate layers" caused by the Weapon Shield...just 1 surface matrix on each surface of the opposing metals in contact. That may be a little hard to visualize, but imagine that every time you clean and lube with the WS, it strips and removes all other substances and replenishes its own boundary film (which is only a few microns thick). But the question is "do you really need the silicone?" IMHO...not necessary.

Thanks again guys and keep em coming.
Best regards,
George
http://www.steelshieldtech.com
Old July 19, 2007, 02:12 PM   #128
Clayton

Using another product with Weapon Shield CLP, IMHO, defeats the purpose of using a CLP to begin with. It is unecessary and a waste of time and money. The only exception would be serious fouling in the bore or action, and you needed it off right now, then a stronger solvent might be a good thing. YMMV

Clay
Old July 19, 2007, 06:10 PM   #129
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Just got mine in the mail today. I have a little bit different story to tell...

I emailed George for my request Sunday. Wednesday came along and I thought I'd email again for a followup, just to make sure I don't miss out on the deadline...
1. He promptly emailed me back to confirm my order.
2. I received mine today. The date of mailing? Monday, the 16th.

My point? If the product lives up to it's name, then you may very well have another customer. No matter the quality of product, most times I will not buy if quality of service is not up to par. So far, I'm pleased with the prompt and responsive initial service.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 19, 2007, 06:38 PM   #130
Lancel

Quote:
Using another product with Weapon Shield CLP, IMHO, defeats the purpose of using a CLP
Sure, but regardless, it's important to know how different products work together.

For example, a side effect of wiping sweat off with a gun rag is that silicone gets wiped on.

It is good to know that Weapon Shield's features are unaffected by silicone impregnated gun rags or gun socks.

Larry

Last edited by Lancel; July 19, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old July 19, 2007, 09:09 PM   #131
Clayton

Gotcha. I agree 100% - compatability with other products and different surfaces is important, moreso today than ever before because of synthetics. Actually the first conversation I had with George back in 2001 was whether or not FP-10 would harm plastics.

Clay
Old July 19, 2007, 09:37 PM   #132
gcfennell

Fear Is....

Quote:
My point? If the product lives up to it's name, then you may very well have another customer. No matter the quality of product, most times I will not buy if quality of service is not up to par. So far, I'm pleased with the prompt and responsive initial service.
Thank you for the very nice compliment Tuttle8 but I think that's one of my biggest fears...having someone fall thru the cracks for one reason or another . I personally have been handling all of the requests and then passing them off to Gary and Mark(my partner) for processing and mailing. (God bless them both). That fear of "losing 1 or 2" is a latent fear left over from my former company of which I tried to set the standards of customer service, .... kind of like "no one gets left behind". I have always FIRMLY believed that customer service can either make you or break you, regardless of how good your product (or service....naw, that would be redundant) is.
But if anyone thinks that we somehow managed to miss you, please dont hesitate to contact me. Usually, give it a week, maximum to show up. If it isn't there by then, give me a hollar. We'll get you hooked back up.
Best regards,
George
Old July 19, 2007, 11:48 PM   #133
Mantua

E-mail sent, i hope I'm not too late
Old July 20, 2007, 12:28 AM   #134
50 shooter

George,
Seeing how I kinda started this by asking for any extra samples, I'll say thanks again. Got mine in the mail today, hopefully I'll get to put it to use soon.
No time for rearranging.
Old July 20, 2007, 09:26 AM   #135
ZeSpectre

George,
My sample arrived at the new address before -I- did!

As soon as the wife and I get the house put together enough to find anything I'll be making a few range trips and will then report back with my review.

Ze
Old July 20, 2007, 08:38 PM   #136
doncameron

Got my sample todayin the mail.
tonight, I cleaned and lubed the following,
Walther P22.....fired over 4000 before this cleaning.........worked GREAT as a
cleaner and lubed it just fine.

VZOR-70.....nice and cheap Yugo auto-pistol.....cleaned more GUNK out of it
than ANYTHING tried before.

Yugo SKS....after shooting alot of older wolf ammo this thing was DIRTY....
not anymore.

I will be firing all of them this weekend and will post an update
on how well they clean up after firing.
Old July 20, 2007, 08:43 PM   #137
dralarms

Update!!!!!

I received my Weapon Shield and promply cleaned and lubed my primary carry a S&W M&P9C. Up to this point I could wear it for a couple of days and start seeing rust (well more like a rusty color in the emblem). I do actually work for a living and sweat (bad at times), I joke around that someone mentioned a 4 letter word I' allergic to (work) .

Any way I have carried it for a week without so much as even looking at the condition, never even handleing it unless I was taking it off.

I have to say that this seems to be the best product for protection I have used. I will be ordering a 16oz bottle very soon.

George, you have a customer for life.
Old July 20, 2007, 09:45 PM   #138
Shane Tuttle
Staff

My first use with WeaponShield:

Started cleaning the cosmolene off of a couple of milsurp rifles I recently bought. Used Hoppe's as my usual cleaning agent for this. It did it's job well. There may be other's better, but I just like Hoppe's. Used WeaponShield afterwards to see if it would pick up stuff any extra. It didn't...

The viscosity, for my taste, is a little bit on the thick side. I don't care for Hoppe's oil, and it somewhat came close to the same "viscosity". I really like Eezox's consistency. However, the odor of WeaponShield is the tops. Very mild cinnamon type scent. Low, low odor...

After cleaning the bolt and action of one of the rifles, I didn't really see any better results than I would expect from any other quality lube. It, by no means was bad, just cycled well.

Some points to consider:

1. I only used this on old milsurp rifles that compared to today's high tolerance machining, it's rather crude. I didn't expect it to turn my Mosin from a dump truck to a Ferrari.
2. I was cleaning a gun with cosmolene coated on it. Underneath, this gun was already amazingly clean. I don't think my evaluation should be taken any further than what I stated so far. The gun didn't come back from the range dirty with powder residue and corrosive agents in the barrel. It was already a very clean rifle.
3. The bottle quantity was FULL. Not just 2/3 full. FULL! The bottle, however, had somewhat stiff walls and was a little tricky to get more than a drop, but not flood the patch. I didn't care for the nozzle tip size nor the lack of reach advantage. I did like the easy twist open/close similar to a mustard bottle.
4. I need to perform many more tests before I can give an accurate, full assessment, but this is what I've experienced so far...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 20, 2007, 09:59 PM   #139
gcfennell

End Of Offer

As all good things must come to an end, so must the 2 week offer.
As of 10:40 EST (now) I am closing the requests for Weapon Shield CLP samples.

Thanks to all who paqrticipated as we had hundreds of samples go out.

As requested, please post up your results/experiences as soon as you've had a chance to work with it a bit. As well as this went, we may offer it again in the future...stay tuned.

Good shooting and best regards,
George
Old July 20, 2007, 10:22 PM   #140
dralarms

George,

Did you get my email?
Old July 20, 2007, 10:28 PM   #141
asianthug

Just for the record, I got sample of FP-10 from George a long time ago and was hook. That stuff was like good. I went bought a bulk of it at gun show. I see it being sold at Walmart now, not sure if it is the same thing. I still have a little bit from my bulk purchase and has been very very please. Not sure if it is the best out there but it is the best I have used and I am very please. Save time, no smell, and very good result. Has not seen any rust or anything and I shoot a lot.
Old July 20, 2007, 10:33 PM   #142
M3 Pilot

Mine came today,thanks. Hope to try it withing the next week or 2.
Old July 21, 2007, 03:47 PM   #143
BobR

Thanks for the freebie. I took out a few bolt guns the other day. Before I went out I cycled them a few times, they felt pretty good. I then put a few drops of Weapon Shield on the bolt lugs and in the bolt channel and cycled them some more. While not very scientific, they seemed to be slicker, it seemed to take less effort to cycle the bolts.

I am sold, this stuff will definately have a place in the maintenance of my guns.

thanks for the opportunity to use your product.

bob
Old July 21, 2007, 06:12 PM   #144
Mtdew

Well I decided to give it a test on my Nagant pistol.

I cleaned the barrel with CLP and followed with dry patches until they came out very clean. I thought that has been the cleanest in a long time.

I put a couple of drops of Weapon Shield on a patch and pulled it through once and the patch came out almost black. I had to double check to see if someone switched pistols on me and gave me a dirty one!

It took a few more patches to come out clean but now I know it's clean!

I think I'm going to like this product.

Does it come with a Lilac scent? That would make people wonder where the heck the smell is coming from everytime you pull the trigger.
Old July 22, 2007, 04:15 PM   #145
Ricebrnr

Mine came within a few days of the request. Unfortunately I didn't get to use it on my Cz &5 until recently. Great product. I hadn't cleaned it in a while, but once done the action was nice and clean and smooth.

A lot better that the smelly solvent in my hoppes basic cleaning kit and a lot simpler with just the one bottle to use too.

Thanks! Highly recommended!!
Old July 23, 2007, 08:30 AM   #146
.45 Vet

I just got my sample Thursday,(19 July), works as advertised, but I miss the old odor....
Old July 23, 2007, 05:52 PM   #147
buzzman_45011

I used it this past week shooting steel. After about 200 rounds there was still some on the rails. I really like this product
Old July 23, 2007, 07:17 PM   #148
parrothead2581

Mine arrived in the mail today. I plan on doing some cleaning tomorrow and posting a report.

I would like to issue a big "thank you" to George for taking the time to do this. That he would not only offer a free sample, but to cover the shipping is truly a testament to his customer service as well as his faith in his product.

Again, thank you George!
Old July 24, 2007, 02:39 PM   #149
john1911

Got my sample in the mail today. I'll dirty up some guns this weekend and give it a try.
Old July 24, 2007, 09:40 PM   #150
FC-NOVA

Got my free sample in 2 days. I wish some of the stuff that I actually paid for would be shipped so promptly.

FWIW, I've been using FP-10 almost exclusively for the past 2 years and all of the guns are clean when the sample arrived. Here's what I noticed:

- The GLOCK 21 that I normally carry in a SafePacker has the dull black finish on it. With FP-10, I noticed the gun is usually "dry" after a couple of days. I cleaned and wiped down the G21 with Weapon Shield a week ago and it is still showing a sheen and it definitely feels slick to the touch. +1 for Weapon Shield.

- I normally swap and brush the barrel with Hoppe's No. 9. Prior to final assembly, I run a patch with FP-10 through the barrel, followed by several dry patches. The FP-10 patch usually brings out a bit more gunk from the barrel. When I run Weapon Shield through the clean barrels, I did not see any more gunks on the patch. This suggests FP-10 was doing a very good job. Until I get a chance to try Weapon Shield on a dirty barrel, it is a draw between FP-10 and Weapon Shield.

- I'm in the process of breaking in a Baer TRS and have been using FP-10 on it since day one. When I took it out of the safe, the TRS is still wet with FP-10 from its prior cleaning. I hand cycled the slide and noticed the action is slightly gritty and it still requires significant effort to take the gun out of battery. After field stripping and re-lube the TRS with Weapon Shield, the action is noticeably smoother and can be unlocked much easier than before. The TRS is still tight, but it now takes noticeably less effort to unlock it. +1 for Weapon Shield.

I'm impressed with what I've seen so far and definitely will be ordering some Weapon Shield even though I still have a brand new 16 oz. bottle of FP-10 sitting on the shelf. Thank you again for a great product!

Francis