The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old October 15, 2006, 11:39 PM   #1
trey_hawkins

Different Glock 18 Questions

i have some different questions concerning the glock 18 and other types of pistols. the glock 17, and 18 were made in 1986 according to glock, it did not list any specific date to see how the 1986 reagan ban affects them, if they were made before shouldnt the 18 be legal to own?

i have more questions as well, but its my first post, i have read through the forums on this subject, so ill just ask one at a time, thanx for any info you may provide in advance, trey
Old October 16, 2006, 12:30 AM   #2
cosmolinelover

Well I'm no expert on G18's trey_hawkins, but if they were in fact produced in 1986 I doubt very many of them would have been registered in time for the '86 MG ban. I guess its possible there's a couple of them floating around somewhere, although I doubted. And if there were they'd have a hefty premium.

Just my $.02.
Old October 16, 2006, 03:04 AM   #3
trey_hawkins

i have heard that there are at least 3 registered glock 18's in the u.s. so it would just be a matter of price, my next question would be, the aftermarket mods we all see that fit any glock, lots of companies made, and still make them as post samples for leo, and military/government use because of the date of manufacture, the earliest one i have seen was made in 1987, (www.fss-g.com) i was wondering if anybody knows of any of these modification kits made before the ban for the glock?

thanx, trey
Old October 16, 2006, 07:47 PM   #4
MDW Guns

So far I know, the G18 came after 86 to the US.
If not, they would be more then I would pay for them!
I am FFL/SOT and have a post dealer sample:

Nice to shoot, but certainly not worth 20K's+ of $$$.
Check www.mdwguns.com for great deals!
Old October 16, 2006, 09:06 PM   #5
gunslinger555

I have heard that their are a few floating around.
Old October 16, 2006, 09:36 PM   #6
oldbillthundercheif

One guy that that was filmed for the Mail Call knob creek episode had two of them (one in each hand). I'm not sure if they were the real deal or pre-86 conversions or dealer samples or what.

They looked like fun items, though.
Old October 17, 2006, 05:17 AM   #7
MDW Guns

If you mean the video with the Beta magazine, that was a converted G17.
If it has the switch in the back, it's a G17.
Old October 17, 2006, 06:43 AM   #8
shaggy

If there are any transferable "G18's" on the regisrty they would almost certainly be aftermarket conversions of G17's. I doubt there are, but if so, there are damned few - far fewer than Beretta 93Rs and the last transferable 93R I've seen (currently on Sturmgewehr) has an asking price of $125k. True, that one is a bit more rare as its made of titanium, but other than that, I've seen even pre-sample 93Rs with asking prices up to about $30k. If you could find a transferable G17/18 conversion, my guess is that $80-$100k would be the asking price. I've been buying and following the NFA market for about 13 years, and I've never seen or heard of a transferable G17/18 conversion for sale. I've seen transferable 93Rs and S&W 59's, but never a G18. There may be one or two out there, but if so, you'd likely need near 6-figures to pry it loose from its current owner.
Old October 18, 2006, 01:24 PM   #9
trey_hawkins

thanx for all the help guys, its really not worth that price at all, i cant think of any gun that i'd pay that much for, i was mainly interested in if there were any of the conversion kits made before the ban, but i really don't think there are. what are some other options for me as far as a full auto handgun, transferable, and oh yeah, some url's of where to find them for sale? i really don't want an uzi or mp5 or mac 10 or anything along those lines, stuff like the beretta 93r and glock 18 is what im talkin about.
thanx for any info you may help with, trey
Old October 18, 2006, 01:49 PM   #10
shaggy

Trey,

Any transferable full-auto handgun is going to cost some very serious cash. There are a handful of registered sears for the S&W59. When I last saw one for sale several years ago it was $6k - today, it would probably be in the $20k+ range. A transferable 93R? Well, the only transferable one I've even seen for sale in the last few years is that titanium one on Sturm for $125k. A G18 conversion would be even more. You might be able to find a Stechkin for under $20k, but it won't be much less (if at all).

Probably your best bet would be to reconsider the SMGs in the MAC family. A few years ago I had a SWD M11A1 in 380. The receiver of the gun (not including the barrel poking out the front of the receiver, or the wire stock at the rear of the receiver - just the receiver itself) is the same length as the slide of a G17. Thats probably as close to a transferable full auto handgun as you can get for under $15k-20k which you'll undoubtedly have to spend for something like a S&W conversion...IF you can find one. A MAC will still run $3000, but they're not a bad alternative for a much more reasonable price.

As far as where to find one to buy - if you have the cash for a transferable full auto machine pistol, you're going to have to find a dealer with good contacts to try and track one down. It will not be an easy task, and you better have a hefty sack full of cash ready to go. If you're not prepared to go a minimum of $20k+, consider a MAC. Here's a link to my dealer's site - one of the best in the business.

www.jbarms.com
Old October 20, 2006, 04:07 AM   #11
rkba_net

There are NO transferable G18's in the US.... The Gun Control Act of 1968 banned the importation of ALL TRANFERABLE NFA firearms... this is why you never have seen an ORIGINAL TRANSFERABLE MP5 and also do not see FOREIGN made suppressors and SBR's, SBS's for sale... the Gun Owners Protection Act of 1986 banned the registration of ALL new full autos as transferable...
Old October 20, 2006, 05:25 AM   #12
shaggy

Rkba-net

The MP5 was made prior to 1968 so there could (at least theoretically) be imported HK transferable guns in the US. Somewhere in my old files I have a copy of Irv Khan's catalog from the mid-1970's where he lists dozens of MP5s - and I think he had one (or more). I don't when Glock got set up in GA, if they do any manufacturing there, or when the G18 was developed and patented, but without more info I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility that an imported 17 could have been registered and converted by Glock in GA prior to 1986 as a prototype/experimental gun. Perhaps I'm being too optomisitc though. But there are some similar oddities in the registry; I once had a registered Bushmaster M16 made on an EA receiver (somewhat odd, but an example that some bigger manufacturers did do some factory 'conversions' prior to the 5-19-86 cutoff). FWIW, I don't think there are any factory G18's, but I just wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility. If one exists, however, as we both know the price would be astronomical.
Old October 20, 2006, 08:11 PM   #13
shaggy

FWIW, I just noticed a transferasble Browning Hi-Power for $17,000. on Sturm...

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nf...cgi?read=80242
Old October 25, 2006, 09:12 PM   #14
Slimjim

The glock 17 was imported about 2 years before 1986, thats why there are a few converted 17/18's on the registry. Not sure about the number of true 18's.
Old October 26, 2006, 12:02 PM   #15
trey_hawkins

check this out, browsing through "an online auction site" and found this,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4e_1.jpg (10.5 KB, 16229 views)
File Type: jpg ea_1.jpg (9.2 KB, 15658 views)

Last edited by trey_hawkins; October 26, 2006 at 12:06 PM. Reason: url not working
Old October 26, 2006, 12:41 PM   #16
MDW Guns

I can only advise anyone who has a fitting Glock to such a switch, to stay far away form things like this. It's not worth it!
You actually don't have to assamble this switch into your Glock, just having both is considered by the ATF the same as it would be installed.
Old October 26, 2006, 03:14 PM   #17
trey_hawkins

yeah, i was paranoid when i saw it too, surprised really, i dont even have a glock, so im not worried, but looking at it, how would that work? it doesnt appear to have a select switch, if not, would it be full time full auto? it looks home made, how could someone be selling them on " the auction site " i mean besides them not catching on, i mean how could they get them? i'm thinkin he made a bunch himself and tried to sell them under the radar, besides laws, does that thing look like it would work? ive never seen the internals of the 18's slide, or of any of the after market select fire switches, so i have no idea.

Trey
Old October 26, 2006, 04:09 PM   #18
shaggy

Quote:
You actually don't have to assamble this switch into your Glock, just having both is considered by the ATF the same as it would be installed.
Don't need both. Just possession of the part in the picture, even without a glock, would be a felony. Its a conversion part and thus a machinegun all by itself. If you value your freedom stay far away.
Old October 26, 2006, 04:50 PM   #19
MDW Guns

Well, since you guys asked:

Here you see the difference between the G17 and G18 slide.
On the backside of the slide there is a little pin as well, which you can see in the picture. I did not mark it.
As marked in the picture, one point (lever up) means semi auto. Then the G18 fires just like a G17.
Two point (lever down) means full auto.
Other then the selector switch, the G18 has the same dimensions as a G17.

Here you see the differences between the modes.

To the original question; yes I think this switch will work, but it would make a Glock full auto only.
Old October 26, 2006, 07:22 PM   #20
trey_hawkins

mdw, you need any help up there? runnin your shop, i bet you got lots more neat toys besides the g18, lol, im jealous, other than the slide selector switch, is it essentially a g17?
Old October 26, 2006, 07:38 PM   #21
MDW Guns

I have not found another difference to the G17, however the block in the frame is supposedly thicker.
If you want to see more of my inventory, check my web site at Class III.
Old October 26, 2006, 08:07 PM   #22
CleverNickname

If the G17 and G18 slide rails were the same width, then then a non-controlled part on the G18 (the slide) could be placed on a G17 and the G17 would be full-auto. Glock made the G18 with a different slide rail width so that it's not possible to swap the slide with any other Glock.
Old October 26, 2006, 08:19 PM   #23
MDW Guns

I did not mesure this, but I guess I have some home work!
Old October 26, 2006, 08:55 PM   #24
trey_hawkins

i heard the same thing about the width, for the same reason, glock was thinkin ahead there, not anticipating the ban, but makin sure if you wanted to convert your 17 you coudn't (not from them anyway) youd have to buy the 18 and make glock some more money, lol
Old October 27, 2006, 02:57 PM   #25
gunslinger555

They made it thicker because in most countries you cant own a firearm that is the semi automatic version of a full auto.