The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2017, 11:56 AM   #1
telman

reloading app

Hi All,

My name is Telman, this is my first post in this forum. I have been reloading for a couple of years. I hope this is useful to other reloaders. I have been searching and trying different ways to keep tracks of my loads and most importantly taking a note while I test my loads, and I also wanted to take a photo of my groups that I could use as a reference in future.
I am not sure how others do it, but I decided to take a year break from reloading and create something new myself.
Ended up buying a mac (Last year in August), learning how to create an ios app, it has been a long journey, lots of new things to learn, and having a full-time job did not make it easy. Wife and kids have been extremely supportive. I am not sure if I will create an Android version since I plan to add a few more things to the app. I have pre-loaded some bullet data including coefficient, and most of powders.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old August 10, 2017, 12:19 PM   #2
hdwhit

Wow. That's an impressive achievement.

Is it in the Apple store?

I've got an Android phone so I can't use your product, but if you are successful with ios, I'm sure someone will follow along with a similar app for Android.
Old August 10, 2017, 12:28 PM   #3
telman

thank you for kind words, unfortunately, it is iOS only at this point, since this is my first ever experience creating something for mobile it was a steep learning curve. I will eventually create an Android version, but there are still certain things that I would like to add to the app. Please kindly this is a native iOS app, it is not easy to port over to Android. I did this on purpose to maximize a user experience.

I can tell for sure If I did not have a passion for shooting and reloading I would have quit halfway.
Old August 10, 2017, 06:01 PM   #4
telman

here is the quick video to show how it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpxSTDbtOrE
Old August 10, 2017, 07:02 PM   #5
RickD1225

Very impressive! I do see it in the App Store, $0.99, Telman that is cheap. I hitting download now. I want to play with it.
Old August 11, 2017, 08:40 AM   #6
telman

thank you for the kind words, Rick, I would appreciate any feedback that you may have, including negative ones, please. I have created the app in a way that I can add new fields with out too much effort. I plan to make 100% international, it is half way there. I also have some other ideas as well. As for the price, I have made it for myself mostly, then I figured it could be useful others. This is just one man's idea I would like to hear what others have in their mind.
Old August 11, 2017, 01:58 PM   #7
sirgilligan

telman,

Good job. Trust me, I know the time and effort it takes. I do love good competition in everything, it creates solutions more focused for user's needs, and makes products better in general.

I offer you similar advice I gave to the developer that makes Firearms Safe App:
1) Don't use third party development tools (typically cross-platform tools) and languages, go directly to iOS via XCode and use Objective C or Swift. The reasons: iOS changes can break old tools, and you never know where the bugs are, your code, the development tool, or the latest iOS release.
2) Be careful using 3rd party libraries. I do not use any. If I did use any I would make sure that the library doesn't use any external internet services. For instance, I have often been asked to use a bar code reader in my app and there are libraries that use services to do that, but I can't guarantee that the service isn't logging data.
3) Resist creating fancy GUI elements, try to stay to the basic GUI elements provided by iOS. That said, if the GUI widget doesn't exist then make it following the best practices specified by Apple, that way your GUI gadget may not break with an iOS update.
4) Make sure your users know if you use iCloud storage or some other type of storage where the users data is not on their device. Some people do not like their data being stored somewhere other than their own devices.
5) Make sure any "canned" data you provide is very accurate. For instance in my apps (current or in progress) I avoid such things as suggested load data, I just don't want the legal responsibility, I could easily mess up entering the data and ka-boom.
6) Watch the reviews on the App Store. I have had, in my opinion, competitors buy my app or have their friends buy it, and give nonsensical bad reviews. Watch your sales plummet with just a single One Star review. You can have Apple remove the obvious ones.

I have been working on a reloading app for some time now, but mine is not a log book per say, but more of a process management system for the entire reloading process, and it is best suited to be Mac OS and iOS, not just iOS like my other apps.

I would love to try your app, if you send me promo-codes for your apps I can try them out and I won't be able to review them on the app store. I will send you promo-codes for my apps if you wish.

Last edited by sirgilligan; August 11, 2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old August 11, 2017, 10:47 PM   #8
telman

I appreciate all the feedback and advice, many thanks! Anytime! could you please send me your iTunes email address in a private message. I will deliver it via a test flight, I could not figure why I do not have an option for promo codes etc. I will send mine in a private message as well.
Old August 13, 2017, 09:00 AM   #9
sirgilligan

I sent you a code in a private message and via email.
Old August 14, 2017, 08:23 AM   #10
telman

thank you, SirGilligan, I did too.
Old August 16, 2017, 02:13 PM   #11
telman

Good afternoon All,

A few people messaged me and asked where they can get a copy of the app. I am not sure if I can put a direct link to the app store in this forum. I have updated youtube video description to show where you can get a copy.

Many thanks!

Telman
Old August 16, 2017, 05:38 PM   #12
jpx2rk

I just went to the apple store and had no trouble in finding it.
Old August 16, 2017, 08:14 PM   #13
Joe-ker

Telmen I think you should've included the name of your app in your first post---- I think some may have missed it in the link.

Search iBallistic in the App Store.

Anyway, congrats on the achievement! I don't reload as most on this site, but I can see it being a great tool----probably beats the heck outta scribbling on my targets and stacking them in a pile. The next time I get some cash in my apple account I think I'll download.
Old August 16, 2017, 09:56 PM   #14
telman

Thank you very much, and I apologize for the confusion. I was not sure how much detail I could put on the forum.
Please kindly note the app name is "iReload reloading log book". iBallistic, is something I released half way into development as a starting point and I was not sure I could ever finish iReload. Even it was my original idea but I under estimated the whole effort.
Then I re-wrote 80% of it from scratch to make iReload and to have a better metric support.

iReload does have all iBallistic in it and much..much more. if you are searching in app store you could search for "Telman" and choose "iReload"

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Telman
Old August 18, 2017, 11:56 PM   #15
Jbotto

I've spent a dollar on way worse things! You need to get into the reloading groups on FB and get some more people using it. I'm buying this app tonight, but won't be able to use it for awhile. I'm not a hugely tech savvy person, but I can see me using this one lots! Thank you sir!
Old August 19, 2017, 01:14 AM   #16
Metal god

I just downloaded it and all I get when I open it is a blank screen with a header that has

Edit.........settings..........logs........circle with an i in it.........+

Edit does nothing

Settings allows me to choose the different measurement descriptions ( FPS , MPH etc )

The circle with the i and the + only gives me the company name , IOS version , website etc .

I'm sure I'm missing something . Please help thanks

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 19, 2017, 10:22 AM   #17
Jbotto

I'm with Metal god. I e had the same stuff happen. I'm using it in an iPhone 5se.
Old August 19, 2017, 02:21 PM   #18
Pat C

Me too when I hit the + I get the about page.
Old August 19, 2017, 11:13 PM   #19
Metal god

I just sent a PM to the OP hoping he gets alerted via email when he gets a PM . The app in the video looks really cool but not working for me . I'd sure hate to be one of those bad reviews

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 20, 2017, 08:50 AM   #20
telman

Good morning All,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Waiting for Apple to release the update. In the meantime please swipe on an existing record to make a copy to create from an existing.

Thank you,

Telman
Old August 20, 2017, 10:25 AM   #21
Metal god

Im not sure what you mean by swipe . This is/was the first time opening the app . I have no data or logs in the app as of yet . Swiping anywhere on the screen does nothing .

Old August 20, 2017, 11:48 AM   #22
Jbotto

I have no existing record as I just bought the app, so i can't even make a copy of an existing record. Since I bought it a few days ago, i haven't been able to begin using it because as of now, it is non-functioning. I will be patient and wait for the update
Old August 21, 2017, 08:52 PM   #23
telman

Thank you for the patience all. I guess Apple does not do app reviews on weekends. Anyway, I have verified that the update is now available to download.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Telman
Old August 21, 2017, 10:00 PM   #24
Metal god

I updated the app and it seems to be working . Another couple things you may consider adding is bushing size in the case info . More primers in the preset area like CCI . There was something else but I forgot what it was .

I like it though could be very helpful . I'll just have to see how often having that info on my phone actually comes in handy . If I'm loading , all that info is on the desk in front of me in binders so it's unlikely I'd pull out my phone to look it up . That said , I remember once thinking I'd never need a Ipod because I had a CD player , boy was that a dumb way of thinking so we'll see how this goes .

Old August 22, 2017, 12:51 AM   #25
Jbotto

Thank you Telman, I downloaded the update and it seems to be working as it should be now!