The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2017, 05:01 AM   #1
chasep255

Using SPG lube in a 30-06.

I recently got started with casting so that I don't have to pay $0.70 per bullet to shoot my mauser 71/84 with black powder. I am using SPG lube with no heater and it works great in my lyman lube sizer. I would also like to start casting for my 40 S&W Glock (with aftermarket barrel) and my P17 Enfield in 30-06. I understand that the 20-1 alloy I have been using for the mauser is too soft for these cartridges and I will probably have to buy some Lyman #2. What I can't figure out is will the SPG lube I am already using work for these cartridges. I am pretty sure it will be good in the 40 S&W since the bullet will be going slower than the ones from my mauser, but I am unsure if I can use it in the 30-06. Has anyone ever used SPG for 30-06 or something similar? I know I can use a different lube, but it seems like a real pain to have to keep cleaning out the old lube between batches of bullets. Also I like that I don't have to heat the SPG.
Old July 26, 2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Oliver Sudden

SPG will work and has been used by many for years. Mike Venturino has written about cast bullets in many high power cartridges. He helped Steve Garby get SPG on the market and uses it for most everything. I use it for both black powder and smokeless cartridges.
Old August 15, 2017, 02:21 AM   #3
nanuk-O-dah-Nort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Sudden View Post
SPG will work and has been used by many for years. Mike Venturino has written about cast bullets in many high power cartridges. He helped Steve Garby get SPG on the market and uses it for most everything. I use it for both black powder and smokeless cartridges.
while I have never used SPG (can't get it up here easily) I have always questioned MV's promotion of it.

if one is getting paid for a product, how can we trust him/her to be honest about it?
Old August 18, 2017, 01:52 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
if one is getting paid for a product, how can we trust him/her to be honest about it?
While there is always suspicion, I think its still possible to tell the difference between an actor who is paid to advertise something, and someone who USES the product and advertises it.

while I've never bought an Oldsmobile (I have ridden in them) I always believed they were good cars, because Paul Harvey said so. He drove one. And, it was the ONLY car he ever advertised.

That kind of thing is rare these days.
Old August 18, 2017, 04:47 PM   #5
gwpercle

Try it...you hear all sorts of stuff about what works and doesn't work.
My thought is to give it a go.
I would even try your 20 to 1 alloy. A lot of what works has to do with the bullet fitting the throat/bore properly, weather the bullet has a gas check and the velocity.
In my O3-A3 Springfield 30-06 , I like to use a 170 to 195 grain bullet with a gas check, sized .001 - .002 over bore diameter to 1600 fps .
Bullet hardness is way over rated...fitting the barrel is king !
My usual alloy is 50-50 clip on wheel weights - pure lead. That may seem soft but it's not.
Gary

Tags
spg bullet lube casting