The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 14, 2017, 06:30 PM   #1
Nathan

Help me shop....

Im just thinking about the fall itch I get around bonus time.

I have all I need. I really want a fun target type pistol in 9mm or maybe 45 Auto. I'm thinking Colt Gold Cup National Match or maybe some kind of CZ Custom shop gun.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? Main goal is small groups at 25 & 50 yds.

.....or should it be a S&W 25-2 or a 547??
Old August 14, 2017, 06:42 PM   #2
FITASC

There are always those $3K+ semi-custom 1911s from Baer, Wilson, et al.........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 14, 2017, 07:34 PM   #3
Nathan

Out of my league and only a blued Baer has my interest at all right now.
Old August 15, 2017, 10:41 AM   #4
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I have all I need. I really want a fun target type pistol in 9mm or maybe 45 Auto. I'm thinking Colt Gold Cup National Match or maybe some kind of CZ Custom shop gun.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?
Maybe giving an idea of what "all I need" is, helping with "something I'm missing would be easier.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 15, 2017, 12:34 PM   #5
UncleEd

A K-frame Smith .38, Models 14,15, 19 or 67, 66 in 4 or 6 inch barrel.

.38s are cheap or very easy and cheap to reload.

The guns are handy and have proven themselves through the
decades as so-called "tack drivers."

OK, Nathan, now you can go back to thinking about those silly guns
that were mentioned.
Old August 15, 2017, 12:42 PM   #6
Siggy-06

S&W Model 66 w/ 6 inch barrel!
Old August 15, 2017, 02:02 PM   #7
ShootistPRS

A "fun" range gun doesn't have to be a plastic lightweight so the CZ75B is a good choice. Its accuracy is rated second only to the Sig guns and the reliability is tops. I shoot 1.25" 25 yard groups with my CZ75B right off the shelf, If I had known there was a satin stainless version I would have bought that instead. I have had zero problems with my gun and it has digested the store bought rounds as well as hand loads from maximum loads down to well under the suggested starting loads. The one thing you may want to do is to have CZ do a trigger job on it before you take possession of it. Mine came with a smooth double action trigger but the single action pull was gritty and felt terrible. I have done some work to get it better and I am sure it will wear in but it was troublesome for me at first. The sights are smaller and closer to the bore than I was used to but they work fine for my use. I was going to get sights for it originally but the gun has grown on me.
I am a guy who doesn't like semi-autos and have past history with a few that taught me they were not to be counted on. I bought mine for use in three gun and it has been almost as accurate and every bit as dependable as my revolvers.