The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 2017, 02:30 PM   #26
roashooter

Quote:
Not concerned about this.
this is a dangerous frame of mind...it displays the lack of attention to detail....something that reloading will not tolerate....for long

Last edited by roashooter; August 11, 2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old August 11, 2017, 02:41 PM   #27
BumbleBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
...Is it just that the bench mounted ones have better "feel" when seating primers?
I'm sure you'll get many different answers to that question. The hand seating camp says the "feel" of a hand primer seater is their advantage. I've used several different hand tools & bench tools & press fixtures. When I load for ultimate accuracy I use a RCBS ram priming die. The case's pockets need to have been "uniformed" & the first case primed is set by feel then the die locked. I've found that the Sinclair pocket uniformer is the best available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snap3.jpg (27.1 KB, 11 views)
Old August 11, 2017, 08:14 PM   #28
oldscot3

I use the RCBS APS bench tool if I'm loading 50 or more cases, The hand held RCBS if less.
Old August 12, 2017, 03:27 PM   #29
ShootistPRS

You can prime more than 1 or 200 cases in an hour with an RCBS hand primer. You could do it while watching your favorite show or in the solitude of your reloading area. I found I have a lot more time to reload since I gave away the big screen TV and more money since I canceled the cable TV.
I don't spend a great deal of time reloading but I enjoy doing it. I shoot maybe 100 rounds a couple of times a week just to stay familiar with my older guns and to learn the new ones. 2 or 3 trips to the range a week is my normal.
Old August 12, 2017, 04:07 PM   #30
RC20

I have the RCBS universal. If the primer pockets are good (most US brass) then its a wonder. Fast, quick, any rim no insert (see note) You do have to watch the stress on the plastic insert.

The 7.5 Swiss Rim has been an issue as it does not insert right, I don't know if magnum rims are the same or its a 7.5 PPU thickness aspect. I use a different hand primer for those.
Old August 12, 2017, 04:14 PM   #31
roashooter

one thing is for certain....most any primer tool..is preferred over the Lee Hand Press...one primer at a time....hand fed...
Old August 12, 2017, 09:55 PM   #32
cdoc42

I've been using the RCBS APS bench tool with strips and the strip loader for at least 10-15 years now and I have absolutely no idea why they would stop making it. There are several positions for the handle so you can get any angle you feel is best to "feel" the primer seat. I load 100-200 primers in the strips ahead of time so they are ready to go whenever I need them - Large Rifle, LR Mag, Small Pistol and small pistol Mag. It's bench mounted and I added a trough to it so the primed cases just get kicked down to a small plastic container. I actually sent a picture -twice - to RCBS with a suggestion for them to use it but for some reason I never received any reply one way or the other. I can prime 100 rifle cases in less than 15 minutes.

A friend of mine recently called to tell me he used a RCBS hand-held device- with the strips and then loaded 350 rounds of .357 Mags. He found he hadn't seated the primers deep enough in the majority of cases, probably due to fatigue, and the revolver cylinder would not rotate. He had to reseat live rounds with caution. I never had that problem with the APS system.
Old August 12, 2017, 11:08 PM   #33
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roashooter View Post
one thing is for certain....most any primer tool..is preferred over the Lee Hand Press...one primer at a time....hand fed...
I don't mind the quality that the Lee Ram Prime and Hand Press give me, I can feel it very well, but the speed is far too slow.

At the time I bought the hand press, I was just looking for the smallest, lightest, cheapest way to turn a piece of brass into a full cartridge and the hand press was it.

I've grown since then and realized my "needs" are not being met.
Old August 13, 2017, 10:05 AM   #34
Doublehelix3216

I have been using the RCBS APS bench priming tool for a while, but I have just come to the realization that it is just TOO SLOW for my pistol rounds. I just can't keep up with my shooting.

I have just started priming on my Dillon XL650, and it is amazing how much time it saves, and once things are aligned correctly, it works very well.

I will still hand prime for precision loads and for rifle rounds, but for the bulk handgun ammo (9mm, .45 ACP, etc.), I am done. Priming on the press from now on.
Old August 13, 2017, 12:24 PM   #35
libiglou

I have used the lee hand prime tool for years(round trays) until I wore it out. The new ones are awful. Treied the rcbs hand prime , too many parts and a pain to use. A few months ago I picked a franklin arsenal tool. Very nice to use , easy change from large to small primers, comes in a nice plastic case with shellholders and the seating depth can be adjusted. This is what the Lee tool should be.
Old August 13, 2017, 01:28 PM   #36
condor bravo

...helix3216
There should be no question that loading, not just priming, is much faster with the 650 than single staging by priming with the the RCBS auto. But maybe I missed your point there. The bench tool is more appropriately used for single stage rifle loading where fewer rounds are normally being loaded per session. But as far as just priming is concerned, is there any real speed difference between the two procedures? A primer is seated with pressing the handle and then a new case inserted for the next handle press for either method. Primer seating speed by itself is the most trivial of considerations.
Old August 13, 2017, 01:50 PM   #37
RC20

I
Quote:
have used the lee hand prime tool for years(round trays) until I wore it out. The new ones are awful. Treied the rcbs hand prime , too many parts and a pain to use. A few months ago I picked a franklin arsenal tool. Very nice to use , easy change from large to small primers, comes in a nice plastic case with shellholders and the seating depth can be adjusted. This is what the Lee tool should be.
Curious if you tried the UNIVERSAL hand primer?

No shell holders, case slips in the lips and it deep seats.
Old August 13, 2017, 02:02 PM   #38
Don Fischer

Pertaining to reloading, I'm seeing more question's on how to do this and that faster. I don't do anything fast, to old to be in a hurry anymore! The worst experience I've ever had with reloading was trying a Sq Deal press in 9mm. Me and speed didn't get along well at all! It's gone and I'm back on my Rockchucker!
Old August 13, 2017, 02:26 PM   #39
Stats Shooter

fastest way to prime a case

Buy primed brass
Old August 13, 2017, 04:11 PM   #40
ed308

Best answer! +1 to that.
Old August 13, 2017, 05:32 PM   #41
condor bravo

Perhaps it would have been more realistic for the subject of the thread to have been the most appropriate method for primer seating, depending on loading circumstances, rather than speed of primer seating. If it takes one second to seat a primer, does anyone really care about cutting that time in half. Obviously using single stage loading versus progressive is a different story for overall speed of loading and is hardly influenced by primer speed.
Old August 13, 2017, 05:49 PM   #42
gwpercle

I like the Lee Hand priming tool because I can sit in my easy chair, feet propped up and prime all I want and I can take it to the office and prime cases. The hand primer gives a good feel when it bottoms out and a whole box of primers can be dumped onto loading tray without touching one. If a few are flipped over , tapping and/or a chop stick will flip them.
Cons to a bench mounted tool. It's mounted on the bench in my unheated un air- conditioned loading room, I can't sit in my easy chair, I can't take it to work and I have to stand at the bench.
Gary
Old August 13, 2017, 05:53 PM   #43
wild willy

For just priming cases the bench mount RCBS APS is hard to beat for speed.If your primers came in the strips.If you have to load the strips then most of the time advantage is lost.I guess RCBS holds the patents or rights to it I wish they would have let other companies use it.We would probably have some great priming tools It makes the boxes a little bigger but it is a really nice way to handle primers
Old August 13, 2017, 06:15 PM   #44
libiglou

Quote:
Curious if you tried the UNIVERSAL hand primer?
I dont remember. I bought it in the early 90's to try and speed up the priming process. I tried using it a couple of times and went back to the lee unit.It took me longer to set it up then it did to prime. I think I threw it out in one of my cleaning rampages/purges.