The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 12, 2017, 11:11 AM   #1
TrueBlue711

S&W M&P 40 Apex Trigger install

I'm just about done with this install. I finished the trigger and everything in the frame. Now, I'm trying to replace the plunger that is under the rear sight in the slide. Took out the set screw in the sight, put it in the vice (non-marring) and trying to tap it out using the sight removal punch included with the trigger. But it's not budging! When I watched a video of the install, the sight just slid out. I even tried heating it up with a small torch. Still not budging. I'm on the edge of taking it to a smith, but would rather avoid the hassle and $$ for just removing the rear sight. Any ideas?
Old July 12, 2017, 12:45 PM   #2
Roughedge

The factory sights are tight. You really need a sight pusher but it can be done with a brass punch, don't be afraid to hit it a bit hard. the brass smudge will wipe right off.
Old July 12, 2017, 01:16 PM   #3
TrueBlue711

Quote:
You really need a sight pusher
I believe that's what I have that was included. It's a plastic "punch" in the same shape as the sight groove.
So sounds like I just need to keep hammering then?
Old July 12, 2017, 01:19 PM   #4
zipspyder

I used a brass punch almost the width of the sight notch. Don't use the plasticy thing if it's that tight.
Old July 12, 2017, 01:41 PM   #5
TrueBlue711

Copy, I'll probably do that. Does it matter if I hammer it from left or right side?
Old July 12, 2017, 02:05 PM   #6
zipspyder

Here you go. Either left or right is OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avy0LknVVO0
Old July 12, 2017, 10:16 PM   #7
CowTowner

Quote:
I believe that's what I have that was included. It's a plastic "punch" in the same shape as the sight groove.
That isn't a punch. That is to hold the spring/plunger down while you reinstall the sight.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy