The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 4, 2018, 06:19 PM   #1
keithdog

My wasr 10 experience. rethink century

My father and I use this same account, so if you notice the post claiming to have never shot an AK that's because HE's never shot one. I have.
Anyway, people say wasr's have bad furniture and screwed up sights. People say AK's are inaccurate and that they kick like a mule. And that they're heavy.
My wasr 10 is current production. 2018 manufactured. It is lighter in weight than my AR-15 was. Truly. Idk if my free float handguard sucked or what, but it is. It's also as accurate at the 25 yard mark with iron sights. I haven't shot it further because I haven't yet made it to the distant outdoor range with the AK. Plan on waiting till I have the scope I want. Then I'll just sight it all in correctly. Accuracy difference should show then.
The wood furniture is nice. Perhaps it used to suck or perhaps I got lucky, but the guys at the shop were impressed. One dude said, "Maybe I need to rethink century."
Well, maybe he should. Maybe you should, too.
The sights were canted but I don't really care. They are still well within the range of mil-spec (or whatever) and I found I had plenty of clearance to sight the thing in. Rivets are clean. Fit and finish are ok.
The pmag it came with locks in perfect and without wobble. The steel surplus I got didn't lock in when loaded. I can see how that's a problem for some people, but it isn't for me. I like 20 round Ak pmags. I just do. And they work perfectly so what the hell? Maybe they won't withstand AK pushups. Guess what? I don't do Ak pushups. I use bench press like a real American. And I shoot off a bench at the range. Because I'm a civilian and not a soldier in a war. So I'm good with my 20 round pmags.
I didn't want to shoot it till I got my muzzle brake (or compensator, I forgot which is which). It's the Spikes Tactical Dynacomp. Perhaps that product is just exemplary, but I was quite shocked at how minimal the kick of the Ak was. People act like shooting an Ak is like getting punched by a gorilla. But it shot with a tid-bit more force than my Ar did. And my Ar was like shooting a pellet gun. So, you know, it just wasn't bad. It was easy, even. Not easy like an AR or like my hi point carbine in 9, but easy.
Not much more to say. I'm eager to scope it up and switch out the furniture. Just thought it was worth reporting my experience.
Century Arms guns maybe used to suck, but from what I see they're great now. As long as you steer clear of the RAS47 and C39. They probably ok, but I don't want something that'll start to break at the 2k round mark.
But that's just me.
Happy shooting.

Last edited by keithdog; November 4, 2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: because i proofread after post. Dumb.
Old November 4, 2018, 06:21 PM   #2
keithdog

Anyone know whether the C308 is good?
Old November 5, 2018, 10:33 AM   #3
MC 1911

There is a difference between Century built & Century imported. I would still avoid their built guns but imported stuff should be good to go. Better choices then the C308.
Old November 5, 2018, 06:12 PM   #4
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Anyone know whether the C308 is good?
I just looked at a C308 last weekend and was disappointed that they did away with the diaopter rear sight and put a rediculous notch rear sight on it. I was really wanting one too. I have two FALs that are Century builds, one from an English parts kit and the other is Austrian. They have both had issues and are rather poor quality. Our most recent AK is a Serbian PAP, and it has been a great, fun, blaster.
Old November 5, 2018, 09:55 PM   #5
DubC-Hicks

My experience with Century WASRs has been mostly good. Of course I've seen the ones with the canted sights and loose magwells but those were primarily older guns, and recent examples that I've seen have been better.

I recently picked up an RH10 and have been extremely pleased with it. Straight sights, good finish, nice rivets. The trigger is also the new Century Rak-1, not the Tapco G2. It feels better, and no real bolt carrier tail deformation yet.

I would never buy one of their US made models, though.
Old November 6, 2018, 01:11 AM   #6
Bamashooter

I have a 2016 built WASR-10 that I bought earlier this year. Great shooting AK with groups at 100yrds in the 3.5" range with Wolf ammo. Front sight did need a slight adjustment and was dead on after. I couldnt afford an Arsenal and figured this one would be my best bet based on the research I did beforehand.
Old November 6, 2018, 09:04 PM   #7
kymasabe

...nothing wrong with 20 round mags. Back in the day when my safe was full of AK's, the 20 round Hungarian "tanker" mag was my go-to mag. 20 rounds in a box? 20 rounds in the mag. Perfect.
Old November 7, 2018, 07:52 AM   #8
Road_Clam

Back in 2012 when I was AK shopping I was researching the Wasr 10 and the Paps. The Wasr 10's were readily available at my LGS's but the build quality was clearly poor. The canted sight issue was easily spotted even by AK novices. The pap's were more nicely assembled. I was able to score a private sale used, unfired Opap locally and glad I passed on the Wasr's at the time. I've handled a few recent Wasr's at my gun club and they now look excellent as far as overall build quality.
Old November 7, 2018, 08:46 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Aside from the terrible wood Century is installing on them to comply with 622R, current-production WASRs are, while not pretty, generally recognized to be very good rifles.

They are still one of the few imported factory-built AKs manufactured on the same line with military-contract rifles, which automatically makes them better than any of the commercial-grade US-made AKs or parts kits guns of questionable quality.
Old November 8, 2018, 02:17 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

The problem with Century is their complete lack of understanding of what QC means. They've been assembling firearms out of parts bins, without bothering to ensure the thing are safe to shoot, for eons. As in no checking headspace at all on the thousands of Lee-Enfields they cobbled together and sold. Mixing inch and metric parts of FN's. Etc. Etc.
I wouldn't touch any firearm they had anything to do with myself.
Old November 8, 2018, 05:26 PM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
The problem with Century is their complete lack of understanding of what QC means. They've been assembling firearms out of parts bins, without bothering to ensure the thing are safe to shoot, for eons.
The good news here is that the WASR is not a parts bin gun that is assembled by Century. They are manufactured by Cugir in Romania on the same line that makes rifles for military contracts.

Century only brings these rifles in 622R compliance in the US. Granted, their work on this side of the Atlantic has a spotty history, but the work on WASRs over the last few years have generally been good. If the sights are straight and mags lock up properly, there is little else to worry about. If you still have concerns, you ca nbuy from somewhere like Atlantic Firearms, who will perform a QA check before shipping out the rifle.
Old November 15, 2018, 09:51 AM   #12
ndking1126

Quote:
People act like shooting an Ak is like getting punched by a gorilla.
And the other side of the camp claims that 30-06s hardly kick at all.. Somethings are just better to experience for yourself!

Good to hear about WASR quality being good as of late. I've been toying with the idea of buying an AK, but didn't want to shell out for an Arsenal or similar.