The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 2, 2018, 10:44 PM   #1
pwc

Taurus 38 Spl

What is the model number for this revolver? I know the caliber, the barrel length but the model is COMUM? Also says ACABAMENTO: OXID.

Shoots single action very well, but in DA if the trigger doesn't return all the way between shots, pulling the trigger will cause the hand to rotate the cyclinder, but not draw the hammer back. Guesses?

Any help is appreciated, especiall on the model. Thanks ahead of time.
Old November 3, 2018, 12:09 AM   #2
hammie

I don't know if it is the same for every Taurus revolver, but I would expect it to be. On my Taurus, the model number is stamped on the frame, underneath the cylinder crane. Mine says "83", meaning a model 83.
Old November 3, 2018, 06:21 AM   #3
jar

My Taurus 605 has the model on the left side frame under the cylinder.

Old November 3, 2018, 08:57 AM   #4
hammie

@jar: Well, I was wrong again. The model number location is not the same for all Taurus revolvers. It looks like the only general rule you can make about firearms is: "You can't make a general rule." There are always exceptions.
Old November 3, 2018, 10:22 AM   #5
Buckeye!

If possible, post a pic
Old November 3, 2018, 05:21 PM   #6
pwc

Per Buckeye's request I've attched 2 pics. Inside it looks like a S&W, so in 1968 Taurus and S&W may have already become sister companies under the overhead owning co. (don't remember it name)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taurus right.jpg (80.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Taurus left.jpg (85.9 KB, 120 views)
Old November 3, 2018, 06:11 PM   #7
Buckeye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwc View Post
Per Buckeye's request I've attched 2 pics. Inside it looks like a S&W, so in 1968 Taurus and S&W may have already become sister companies under the overhead owning co. (don't remember it name)
A early Model 80 ,I owned one back in the day ... Mine was a great revolver

Last edited by Buckeye!; November 3, 2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old November 3, 2018, 06:22 PM   #8
lee n. field

---delete, read the rest of the thread---

Oh, that's an old one.

Good luck with that. That pre-dates Taurus USA (imported by FIE, back in the day), and you won't be able to get service from them.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 8, 2018, 09:32 AM   #9
Ibmikey

Pic, S&W and Taurus were never affiliated under the same parentage.
Old November 8, 2018, 09:43 AM   #10
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwc View Post
What is the model number for this revolver? I know the caliber, the barrel length but the model is COMUM? Also says ACABAMENTO: OXID.

Shoots single action very well, but in DA if the trigger doesn't return all the way between shots, pulling the trigger will cause the hand to rotate the cyclinder, but not draw the hammer back. Guesses?

Any help is appreciated, especiall on the model. Thanks ahead of time.
82, used to have one..great shooter but needed a take apart and clean/lube before it would stop jamming. Son has a '65', .38/357..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 8, 2018, 09:29 PM   #11
Chowder

Not a bad looking older Taurus. My first handgun was a mid 80s Model 66 6". I sold it because I really wanted a glock and couldn't afford one and have regretted it ever since. I carry a new M85 now and its not fancy but its been a great gun for $215 on sale.
Old November 8, 2018, 09:33 PM   #12
JERRYS.

I've owned three Taurus revolvers in the past. in the 90's it was a DAO stainless model 85 and a blued standard model 85; both were great guns. in the early 2000s I bought a CIA 850 that was also a great gun. I cannot recommend anything current because I have little experience with the new guns and one few that I have handled or know of from others were problematic.
Old November 8, 2018, 11:03 PM   #13
Dano4734

I never had luck with them. The ones i owned spent more time back at the factory then on the range. I won’t buy another Taurus but others had good luck with them. Only ruger for this old guy
Old November 9, 2018, 08:15 PM   #14
pwc

IbMikey said- "S&W and Taurus were never affiliated under the same parentage."

From the Taurus homepage....."In the meantime, Smith & Wesson had been purchased by a conglomerate named Bangor Punta. In 1970, Bangor Punta also purchased 54% of Taurus. Thus, the two companies became "sisters". Smith & Wesson never owned Taurus. They were both independent companies. However, during the next seven years, a great deal of technology and methodology was passed between the two. What may come as a surprise to some is that more of what was "right" in Porto Alegre was sent to Springfield than was sent from Springfield to south of the equator."
Old November 16, 2018, 08:08 PM   #15
52_and_done

Have you tried looking on this site ?? You might ask that question in this thread https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/ and get some better help. I have a New model Taurus 66 4" 7 shot, but that's the only Taurus I have ever owned, so I can't help except for the link above.