The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2018, 11:56 PM   #1
idek

recommended rebluing and/or refinishing businesses?

I bought a well-used Browning Citori a while back. Functionally, it is solid, but the bluing and the finish on the stock aren't very good anymore.

Can anyone recommend companies/businesses that do a good job of rebluing and refinishing? If one company could do both, that might save me waiting time and money, but I am open to sending the gun to separate places.

I don't want to break the bank (or I would have just bought a new gun to begin with), but I also don't have the time or know-how to do these projects myself in the near future.
Old October 31, 2018, 07:13 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

The standard to compare to is Arts Gun Shop. The Browning's are their stock and trade.
A reblue on a O/U is about $700, but you won't get better from some one else.
Old October 31, 2018, 08:35 AM   #3
TrueBlue711

This may be blasphemous for an over under, but consider cerakote. You can choose whatever color you want and is more duarble than bluing. You can choose a gloss black color to make it look like bluing too. Price varies from who's doing it, but I'd say at least half of the $700 bluing bill.
Old October 31, 2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Doyle

Ford's in Crystal River, FL is about as good as it gets.
Old October 31, 2018, 09:26 AM   #5
FITASC

If you want the BEST, you call Doug Turnbull
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 31, 2018, 11:29 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

A restore by Turnbull will add value to any gun.
Old October 31, 2018, 02:18 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...Browning Citori..." What model? A new CXS' MSRP is $2189. Goes up according to the stock. Adjustable combs and ports. With both MSRP is $2659.99. Give you an idea. Very much doubt you'll pay anywhere near that for a refinishing job.
"...might save me waiting time and money..." Highly unlikely. Anybody doing bluing will be busy as not many places do it. Hot bluing needs a special room with no other ferrous metals in it due to the salts that get into the air and rust everything.
Hot bluing is kind of an art form. The results are based almost entirely on the amount of polishing done before the thing goes in the tanks. All of it is done completely by hand. As in a guy standing in front of a polishing wheel.
Refinishing a stock is hand done too.
Oh and if you just send the gun, you'll pay for the disassembly time. Doing the disassembly yourself can save some money. Maybe some time too.
Old November 6, 2018, 10:37 PM   #8
idek

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to go through this pheasant hunting season (it's a field model) and do some informal clay target shooting with it just to be sure it holds up and doesn't have any issues beyond a rough exterior.

It will be easier to put the money into it once I'm more confident that I'll be able to use it for many years.