The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Is 4+1 rounds of 12 gauge enough for home defense duty?
Yes 10 52.63%
Probably, but I prefer more rounds 9 47.37%
No 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 30, 2018, 01:18 PM   #51
Dragger34

LOL, then it's just my time
Old August 31, 2018, 07:28 AM   #52
agtman

Quote:
Odds of two armed people, breaking into my home, while I'm home with the will to keep fighting after my 5 rounds 00Buck, HK VP40 (back-up), a German Shepherd, Saint Bernard, two Great Danes, and the Yorky (She's a bitch) over a T.V. that is now probably full of holes or blood? If all those stars align then it's just my time.
You're calculating the odds wrong. You're more likely to be killed by a hurricane or earthquake first.

Quote:
I also have a safe with numerous other weapons if needed. I just doubt I'll need several hundred or thousand rounds to run off or stop a pair of 90 pound, tweaked out meth heads.
You're still calculating it wrong ... Once the bad guy(s) break in, you won't have time to stroll over to the safe and get it open.

After they kill the dogs, you're next - unless you have some form of firepower immediately at the ready. The dogs are effectively your expendable first-line of defense to keep the bad guy(s) occupied while you aim and fire.
Old August 31, 2018, 10:51 AM   #53
stephen426

Dragger34 is from Gainesville. That means he probably has a moat filled with hungry gators, and the mosquitoes will get the ones that make it past the gators.

Go Gators!
Old August 31, 2018, 08:01 PM   #54
Dragger34

My calculations are spot on. Please point out the error.

Otherwise the odds of multiple, motivated to the death, armed, home invaders (that's while your home) is extremely rare. Look it up for yourself.
Old September 1, 2018, 12:25 AM   #55
stagpanther

Quote:
Otherwise the odds of multiple, motivated to the death, armed, home invaders (that's while your home) is extremely rare. Look it up for yourself.
I don't know about statistical odds--but I do know something about "smash and grab" break-in techniques used by gangs having seen them in action several times and caused an attempt on my house to be aborted. Usually they want to be in and out as fast as possible so if they find anyone home it's a miscalculation on their part and they will be just as surprised as you are. What happens at that point depends on who is in on the break-in--but if it's members of the large organized gangs and they are looking to advance their "street cred" while having little fear of killing or being killed--hard to say what they may or may not do.
Old September 1, 2018, 04:31 PM   #56
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I didn't think so----so purchased a Maverick 8 shot security model for a little more than $200---it also has 6 extra shells in a cheap elastic butt cuff.

That way I keep my hunting guns configured as hunting guns too.
-------Metallica
Old September 14, 2018, 04:20 PM   #57
Glenn E. Meyer

Some shotgun mythology from Denny - one of our SWAT gurus.

https://www.swatmag.com/article/rack...ptions-truths/
Old September 15, 2018, 11:13 PM   #58
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Anyone run their home defense shotgun with the standard tube? On the Remington 870, that's 4 rounds of #1 buckshot for me:

I love the way the standard tubes with no extension balance and point. They just feel "right", and there is very little to go wrong with them. No problems with feeding due to extension junction points or the extension becoming bent/damaged in some fashion. I believe Dave McCracken was a fan of standard-length mag tubes on defensive shotguns as well, but don't quote me on that.

It's my choice, whether a box stock old school police 870 or a newer version with more "tactical" accessories like a Surefire forend, the 4+1 setup works for me.

But what about you? Do you think 4+1 is fine for home defense, or perhaps not? Please share your thoughts. Thanks gang!

M12
4+1 Federal Flight Control #1 Buck.

The way this stuff hits...?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNb2uvezzx0

Red

Last edited by Red Devil; September 15, 2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:45 AM   #59
Glenn E. Meyer

I said this about half way through:

Quote:
This is an old debate about capacity and whether you:

1. Assume you will hit the target and have disabling effects
2. You have one or two opponents

There is a continuum of incident intensity, so as in statistical decision making, you have to pick a criterion level and take the risks associated with that cut off.

Cliches by Cooper, or whomever, are not that useful in today's world.
We have circled back to the same points with some rather pointless insults (deleted).

This isn't the Double Barrel Joe Biden Capacity Banning Forum.

Closed.