The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 12, 2006, 05:26 PM   #1
swk314

Is the Sig or S&W Academies any good?

hey guys, i'm new to this forum and was wondering if you could help me. If this question has been answered a million times already then i apologize. My question is, does anybody know if the Smith and Wesson or Sigarms academy are any good? I would like to take a concealed carry course at one of the two and was curious if you guys had any insight on it before I spent 595 dollars(sigarms) on it. Thanks again.
Old July 12, 2006, 05:53 PM   #2
hpg

Good question, I've never heard anything about either. The way I understand it they are mainly for Law Enforcement Officers. I hear more about GunSite than anywhere else. hpg
Old July 12, 2006, 06:06 PM   #3
M1911

I haven't been back to S&W Academy in some time. I took a carbine class there about 5 years ago and wasn't that impressed.

I've taken two classes at Sigarms Academy -- Concealed Carry and Advanced Concealed Carry. However, it's been quite a while and there training cadre is mostly turned over. George Harris is still there and I thought he was a pretty decent instructor. I took a class from Randy Cain and one of the other students in the class was Scott Reidy, who is an adjunct instructor at Sigarms Academy. He's a nice guy and an excellent shot. I expect he's a good instructor.

I'll go back to Sigarms before I go back to S&W.

In addition, John Farnam is going to be teaching a class at Riverside in Hudson this fall. You can find details about it at http://www.northeastshooters.com

Another alternative is LFI-1 up in NH. Ayoob's coverage of the legal implications of deadly force is unmatched.
Old July 13, 2006, 08:10 AM   #4
symr00

I took the SIGARMS Academy Defensive Carbine class 3 years ago. It was a 2 day course and half the price of your CCW course. Personally, I would look elsewere for a CCW course. A 2 day course in AZ is about $100. I know there are several CCW certified instructors in MA.
Old July 14, 2006, 10:36 AM   #5
SonOfLiberty

Some of the stuff at the S&W Academy is great. Its more of a curriculum that runs from entry to upper level. Even the basic stuff is great training / refreshers. Safe gun handling and practices is the number one concern (hence the progressive curriculum.) One thing is for sure, that instructor can shoot and he knows his stuff (he's taught me a bunch.) The Handgun Technique course starts with threat focused point shooting, drawing and recovering to a holster, engaging multiple targets, yada yada. You can read all about it on the website. Only downside is that you have to do the curriculum, you can't just sign up for the upper level classes. Just my 2 cents.
Old July 14, 2006, 10:47 AM   #6
M1911

Who is the instructor at S&W these days?
Old July 14, 2006, 01:49 PM   #7
M1911

Quote:
A 2 day course in AZ is about $100. I know there are several CCW certified instructors in MA.
Note that the Sigarms 3 day concealed carry course goes well beyond most state mandated CCW classes.

I don't know what you mean a a "CCW certified instructor" in MA. I am certified by the MA state police to teach firearm safety classes. While MA does require a safety class prior to getting a License to Carry, the required courses need not cover anything about concealed carry. For example, the NRA Home Firearm Safety class (which I teach) is accepted by MA state police as meeting the requirements for a License To Carry. The NRA Home Firearm Safety class does not include any shooting, does not cover anything to do with concealed carry, and only takes 4-6 hours. Is it cheaper than the Sigarms concealed carry class? Sure is? But comparing the two is like comparing apples and pineapples...
Old July 14, 2006, 10:59 PM   #8
swk314

M1911,

I just finished retaking my basic safety course. I lost my certificate moving back from college and it would not be of any use because i needed to be certified by the state police. I also just recieved my certification for teaching basic pistol safety from the NRA. I need my License to Carry before i can get certified by the state. I live in boston so i know it can be tough to get an "all lawful purpose" LTC. I know everyone is going to tell me to move from Boston if i want to get an unrestricted license, but that is not possible right now. I inquired about how hard it is to get in Boston and they told me they do give them out, i just need to jump through the hoops to get one. If i do get one i want to be trained properly, because i believe there is no sense in carrying if you are not going to do it properly. Safety is my biggest concern as well as the proper techniques. I do not want to jeopardize anyones safety because of my lack of knowledge. That is why i want to learn as much as i can from qualified people.
Old July 15, 2006, 01:43 AM   #9
symr00

swk314,

I understand. When I lived in MA, my police chief was very liberal. After speaking with a lawyer who specialized in helping folks get their unrestricted permit in MA, he said taking a course through S&W or SIG would most certainly help. I just find that course kind of steep considering that most training schools charge in the area of $300-$500 for a 2-5 day course. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either place, though. I do know that when I went to SIGARMS, their staff seemed to rotate but I would call to find out who the instructor would be before signing up for a course. You might also look into LFI as they visit mA quite often. There are many other training organizations in MA but I here about them through POSA so not all may be available to non-LEO.
Old July 15, 2006, 06:11 PM   #10
M1911

swk314, it will be very hard to get All Lawful Purposes in Boston, unless you own a business and deposit cash regularly (and can prove it). I don't know if retaining a firearms attorney would help. I can point you towards some if you'd like.

Have you taken the range test at Moon Island yet? If not and you'd like to practice, send me a PM and I can meet you at the range I belong to in Wayland (about 30-45 min west of Boston). I'll bring a couple revolvers and ammo.

LFI-1 covers the legal and ethical issues in far greater detail than any other class I've taken. Sigarms Academy has a nicer facility and their concealed carry class is only 3 days long.