The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 22, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
l98ster

What Do You Collect???

Hi everyone,

I was curious as to what all of you "gun people" collect as part of the firearms hobby? I know some people collect knives, cartridges and firearms themselves.

Do any of you collect anything out of the ordinary??

I ask this because I just finished building my gun room in the basement of my house. This room is 16x13 and it looks more like a museum showroom than a gun room. One wall is used for displaying my firearms, but the other 3 are kind of bare right now.

Im looking for a theme to decorate the room, and thought that starting a collection of something might be pretty cool.

Any suggestions???
-George
Old October 22, 2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Falcon5NZ

Cartridges.

I have 185 different chamberings and 500ish individual rounds
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!
Old October 22, 2012, 04:34 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

If I had a dedicated gun room,,,

If I had a dedicated gun room,,,
I would purchase old gun ads and frame them.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 22, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Rembrandt

Have a weakness for quality .22 rimfires and engraved Belgium Brownings. Also have an extensive taxidermy collection....over 40 different species at last count.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:31 PM   #5
deadcoyote

I need to stop buying broken C&R firearms. I keep telling myself when I get around to fixing them I'll have a nice collection, but I'mm still 18 years away from retirement...
Old October 22, 2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Tinner666

Just dust so far, and I'm so poor, that's getting to be out of my financial reach.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:05 PM   #7
PeterGreg

In my man cave I've got framed signed/numbered wildlife art a 8' bamboo fly rod and a Hurd (rod/reel combo) a couple of wood longbows, bookshelf and outdoor books and a shelf that has paper shotshells and boxes a few bait casting reels and a cup with the tail feathers of all the birds I slew.

All my guns are locked up
Old October 22, 2012, 07:40 PM   #8
30-30remchester

Antique guns, holsters, ammunition and knives. I used to collect beautiful women but my wife made me get rid of the when we got married.
Old October 22, 2012, 08:54 PM   #9
SPEMack618

I have a soft spot for anything related to shotgunning, be it waterfowling, riot guns, or competition trap, with a special emphasis on old shell boxes, and paper wrapped shells, especially 16 ga. items. And you can lump in old duck hunting stuff with that as well, my boy hood room looks like a long forgotten hunting supply store.
Old October 22, 2012, 08:58 PM   #10
TheBigO

This will be the worst but I collect OD Green Glocks... so if anyone is looking to sell let me know
Old October 22, 2012, 09:07 PM   #11
Corrections Cop

I have been trying to collect patches. I collect Corrections Department Patches, I'm trying to get all 50 states. Thats about it for now. If I had more $$ I would start collecting antique firearms. Right now I have a 1902 Colt, but I'd like more if I had the cash.
Old October 22, 2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Atbat82

I know a guy who complements his guns with knives and patches from uniforms. He's former Mil/LE and has a great collection of patches from various police depts, fire depts, and US military units. He's also sent a dozen or so boxes of cigars to soldiers abroad and generally frames the thank you notes and the photos sent back.
Old October 22, 2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Buckley

What Do You Collect

Great question!! My den is filled with " cartridges " from really big guns. 75mm , 105 mm, 40mm and , .50 cal, .30-06 , and some marine shells I can`t identify as I was 26th Infantry Division , 3rd Rocket Howitzer Battalion ( Yankee Division).

All are " Trench Art " pieces ranging from the Spanish American war through to Viet Nam. Many vases , lamps, ash trays, candle sticks , saki "glasses",
letter openers etc. , etc,.

Plus some World War I and II military rifles. Would have a 105 howitzer , a 155 howitzer and an eight inch gun but my budget is limited and the neighbors would probably be nervous! : Buckley
Old October 22, 2012, 09:50 PM   #14
DarylBruce

I gather mostly military arms and others odds and ends. I have a “Hobby Room” and I can assure you that in short time your room will not be large enough.
Old October 24, 2012, 07:37 AM   #15
cornbush

Lately I have become a serious collector of empty brass
Old October 24, 2012, 10:50 PM   #16
SOUTHERN WOODS

Been adding hunting, fishing, and gun reference books to my collection for the last couple of years.

I also collect older rifles (.22 mostly) and shotguns (C&R stuff)
Old October 24, 2012, 10:54 PM   #17
SundownRider

Birthdays, mostly.

But I do have a nice gathering of 1911's.

SR
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old October 24, 2012, 11:09 PM   #18
FloridaVeteran

Cowboy guns. So far, unfortunately, I haven't been able to afford authentic pre-1890s ones, but I try to pick up the best-looking of the replicas. Would never buy a gun just to have as a wall-hanger - I wanna shoot 'em.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:23 AM   #19
geetarman

I really like quality knives.

I just got my first Damascus steel Boker. It is something. I do not have a lot but I do have some nice ones.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 25, 2012, 01:15 PM   #20
Skans

Guns, guns guns and guns....interesting or hand-made automatic knives, mechanical metal puzzles, occasionally automatic watches and antique pocket watches. Yes, I'm obsessed with mechanical things!
Old October 25, 2012, 09:46 PM   #21
FloridaVeteran

Geetarman - have you ever been to one of the big annual (?) Knifemaker's Guild shows? They used to be in Orlando but moved away about ten years ago, I think to Las Vegas.

A good buddy of mine loved high-end knives and canes - the kind with the sword blade in them. I went along but the prices were way out of my league except for a skinner or two made by a journeyman qualifying for the guild. Very interesting to see the mix - buyers of all sorts, including rich folks that you wouldn't see at the Orlando gun shows, and knifemakers from all over. In particular I remember one old fella, a knifemaker, with a long shaggy beard who looked like he might live way-deep in Appalachia. He also looked terrified at being around so many people at one time. I felt really sorry for him - he was about as far out of his element as a person could be.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:49 PM   #22
TennJed

I have a thing for large size 380s
Old October 25, 2012, 11:09 PM   #23
kilimanjaro

I have a curio cabinet with a bunch of old ammo in boxes. Also a Martini-Henry on the wall, some African spears, and a couple of large framed Zulu War prints, couple of old framed maps of Africa and Hindoostan, both are old enough to have good blank spaces on them.

The bayonets are in the map drawers along with the other maps, and there's a collection of old medals, too. Lots of bookshelves and books, fireplace, so it's all pretty relaxing. The guns are in the safe room just through the door by a cabinet.
Old October 26, 2012, 05:34 PM   #24
geetarman

Quote:
Geetarman - have you ever been to one of the big annual (?) Knifemaker's Guild shows?
No, I have not. I have seen some of the knives that won prizes and they are really nice. Some of the fantasy knives ( Gil Hibben ) don't work for me.

I don't often see one that really floats my boat. . .but sometimes I do.

Knife Center of the internet and Smoky Mountain Knife Works have some interesting offerings.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 26, 2012, 08:24 PM   #25
berettaprofessor

Berettas....old Berettas