The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
arthury

Dillon RL550B and XL650: plastic parts?

I'm hearing that the XL650 has more plastic parts than the RL550B and they are breaking more frequently than the 550B?
Is this true?

I know that about the No-BS Warranty" but too many parts breakage and waiting for new parts in the mail can be highly disrupting. I am more keen on auto-indexing, though.

Any thots?
Old June 13, 2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Shootest

My XL 650 has only broken three plastic parts in almost 20 years. I don’t know where you herd they break often but it sounds like BS to me. The spare parts kit contains most of the parts that will wear out or get lost easy and having it means there is no waiting for parts.
Old June 13, 2012, 06:35 PM   #3
arthury

Apparently, the complaints about plastic parts breaking were from more recent owners. The hearsay indicated that the current 650 has more plastic parts than the more robust earlier ones.

Does the spare part kit comes with the system when you buy it or was it extra?

I am in the process of making a decision so, bear with me.
Old June 13, 2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Shootest

I have not seen a newer XL 650 except in pictures, but I don’t think Dillon would make them less robust, since they pay for replacement parts and shipping they have an interest in making them more reliable. Anything they saved by making cheaper parts would soon end up costing them much more.
Mike Dillon is a smart man and would have thought of this.
The spare parts kit is extra but if waiting is to inconvenient it might be worth it.
JMHO and best of luck to you.
Old June 13, 2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

The spare parts kit is something you get extra. The only reason for the kit is to have parts to replace right away to keep loading. You only need to contact Dillon to get those broken/lost parts replaced.

Since it takes a little while for parts to arrive in the mail you would not be able to reload until they arrived. Having the kit means you can keep loading while you wait for the parts to come. I have used some things from my kit. Most everything caused by me. I did have an E-clip for the primer pin break. That is the only thing I didn't cause. I had some of those on hand so I was able to continue on. One day I will probably contact Dillon with my list of parts just as soon as it gets large enough to be worth the effort. The E-clip broke after over 15k for that caliber. Those things probably cost up to 25 cents for a package of 2 or 4 at the local hardware store. The last time I bought them they were 2 cents each.
Old June 13, 2012, 07:21 PM   #6
arthury

Thank you much!
Old June 13, 2012, 10:15 PM   #7
jmorris

It's not plastic, its a spaceaged polymer....anyway the worst plastic part Dillon makes is the tip of the primer feed tube. Funny enough the 650 is the only machine that this part is machined out of brass. My old SD's had Delrin bushings in the lever arms and when I called to get new ones they sent complete new arms with brass/bronze bushings already in them.
Old June 14, 2012, 03:57 PM   #8
BigJimP

No, what you're hearing or reading is nonsense....

I've had my 650 for several yrs....and a buddy just bought a new one about 2 months ago ...and while Dillon has made some improvements ( like grease zirc fittings on some points ) ...there is nothing in the new Dillon 650 vs the older ones that is any reason for concern.