The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2010, 05:48 PM   #1
bravorigging

grading

can someone tell me how to tell the grade of a Browning.I have a xt trap and have seen others on line that say they are a grade I,II,III, how is this determined.
Old March 16, 2010, 06:34 PM   #2
zippy13

Grading in shotguns is sort of like trim levels in cars. In the case of Brownings, Grade I is the entry level. Standard up-grades may be identified by number, letter or names. As the number increases, extras are added to the gun as well as a price increase. Typical up-grades include fancier wood and metal detailing (engraving, gold, etc) or additional features like adjustable stocks or recoil devices.

With higher levels, the up-grade may include a trip to the custom shop for individual stock dimensioning, custom engraving, hand fitted parts for a better trigger pull, or plastic and/or stamped parts may be replaced by machined metal ones. For example, between a A-grade and D-grade R-1100 you can hear the difference as the gun cycles ammo. Like the difference between hearing the doors closed on a KIA and a Mercedes.

Here's a link to Browning's XT Plus Grade III, you can compare it to yours.
Old March 16, 2010, 11:53 PM   #3
olddrum1

Usally on each sit of a manufacturer there will be a custom shop listed.
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...image_cat=001L
This is Brownings custom shop. It pretty much is where they advertise their special wares. Hope this helps.
Old March 17, 2010, 03:07 AM   #4
LanceOregon

With Browning shotguns, the only difference between the different grades is that higher grades getting more engraving and better wood for their stocks.

The higher grades will not shoot any better. They will simply look better.

Old March 17, 2010, 08:43 AM   #5
oneounceload

Quote:
With Browning shotguns, the only difference between the different grades is that higher grades getting more engraving and better wood for their stocks.

The higher grades will not shoot any better. They will simply look better.
And with few exceptions (like going to a sidelock in the SO series), that is all your extra money is paying for - cosmetic differences.
Old March 17, 2010, 12:34 PM   #6
BigJimP

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...9&d=1264785384

Attachment 58075

Grade levels are not black and white either ...it depends on the subjective comparison of the appraiser....

The 2 XT's that I have / the one on top in photos is proabably a grade 2 or maybe a 3 / the bottom one is probably a 4 or 5 ... in terms of their wood.

Last edited by BigJimP; July 24, 2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old March 17, 2010, 07:01 PM   #7
olddrum1

Actually Browning will have the grade printed on the box.
Old March 17, 2010, 07:38 PM   #8
oneounceload

Quote:
Actually Browning will have the grade printed on the box.
True, but that is still a subjective thing since no two pieces of wood are identical - what one person sees as Grade II, someone else might see as a Grade I or Grade IV
Old March 18, 2010, 12:45 PM   #9
BigJimP

I've seen some Browning boxes marked grade III ( when it looked like left over crate wood ...and a mediocre dye job - especially 25 yrs ago ...) although in the last 10 - 15 years or so, Browning is doing a much better job on selecting wood for their stocks.

I see a lot of very nice wood out there on Brownings now ...when boxes are marked grade II / III .....
Old March 19, 2010, 02:24 AM   #10
olddrum1

"True, but that is still a subjective thing since no two pieces of wood are identical."

Thats true but they are graded on the engraving, not the wood. Remember the Citori Grand Lightenings that had no engraving but wood suitable for a grade six engraving. I have seen Midas and Diana grade shotguns that were works of art but had some pretty bland wood.