The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2006, 11:59 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

Dumb questions (multiple) re: slugs & chokes

If I'm shooting a rifled slug out of a shotgun, am I better off using an improved cylinder, or simply removing the choke altogether? Or, is it safe to even go tighter with a modified choke? I've shot slugs before out of an IC with no problems, but it's been a few years, and I now wonder if this is unsafe. Would accuracy be terrible if I removed the choke? Could it actually HELP accuracy relative to an IC? Would it harm the choke tube threads? Would the answer be any different with a saboted slug? Bottom line: Where do I get the best accuracy while still being perfectly safe? Thanks a lot.

My questions are similar to Andy's here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=199024

Sorry; should've just posted there.
Old February 9, 2006, 02:00 PM   #2
GlocksRfun

I wondered that same thing back when I was 18. I ended up taking the dremel and cutting the barrel down to before the chokes. Granted that's kinda like buying a new car when u have a flat tire, and probably not the best choice. But in the 8 years since then, I have never found the answer to that question. And often times regret doing that. Oh well, live and learn. I was scared to leave exposed threads.
Old February 9, 2006, 02:36 PM   #3
cmreinke

See my reply in the other thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=199024.

-Charles
Old February 10, 2006, 09:03 AM   #4
foghornl

Not sure, but your post reads like you have a shotgun with the changeable choke tubes. If so:

DO NOT EVER FIRE THAT WITHOUT A CHOKE TUBE INSTALLED. YOU WILL RUIN THE THREADS.

That being said, if your shotty has a fixed amount of choke, please disregard my shouting in the previous sentence.

MOST slugs (the no-sabot "Forster" type) will perform best with either a cylinder-bore [no choke] or the Improved-Cylinder choke. The sabot slugs usually perform better with either a full-rifled barell, or the rifled choke tube.
Old February 10, 2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Ruger4570

Most of the Foster type slugs are not a tight fit in the barrel and will shoot through any choke. You will find that they tend to shoot better through a cylinder or an Imp. Cylinder best. As posted above, always have a choke screwed in the barrel.
Old February 10, 2006, 05:51 PM   #6
dsmaruska

Dumb questions (multiple) re: slugs & chokes

My 870 Express Pump 12 gauge shoots Remington 2 3/4" Sluggers out to 100 yards with 5" - 6" groups. The setup is a 21" RemChoke barrel, open rifle sights (Williams Fire Sights) and a Remington extended rifled choke tube. The stock set is all synthetic. My experience with RemChoke barrels and slugs ... the extended rifled choke tube provides very consistent groups with 21" and 26" barrels. I prefer the shorter barrel. The improved choke tube works well out to about 50 yards then grouping opens up a little. A choke tube tighter than improved has not helped slug accuracy. Also, hunting club buddies have gotten very good results shooting slugs with Remington's cylinder bore barrel.

BTW, the 12 gauge kicks like a mule. My current project is an 870 Express Pump 20 gauge slug gun. Accurate, less recoil and more than enough power for hunting deer and hogs. I will post a picture with build details if you would like.

Hope this helps.
Old February 10, 2006, 08:50 PM   #7
Jeff F

I’ve shot slugs out of a Remington 878 that had a 30in fixed full choke barrel. At the time it was the only shotgun I had. I killed quite a few wild hogs and a couple of bucks with that shotgun. It was surprisingly accurate out to 50 yds with only a bead sight. I probably fired at least 100 slugs and a whole bunch of oo buckshot thru that barrel and I don’t think it hurt it at all.