The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 17, 2013, 10:44 AM   #101
Dragline45

Nope but if the new 7 round limit passes in Massachusetts I'll be moving north to Maine or New Hampshire.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:05 PM   #102
RubiDing

Escaped from CA to AZ in 2006. Haven't been back and no plans to do so. Aggressive progressive agenda was the reason, anti 2A was part of that agenda.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:10 PM   #103
Spats McGee
Staff

No. I have lived in a variety of places, but I was born in and have spent most of my life in Arkansas, one of the "Patron States of Shootin' Stuff." (referring to the movie: Shooter)
Old January 17, 2013, 06:50 PM   #104
mayosligo

Mumbles Menino and his crowd will most likely follow suit in MA with the NY path.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:37 PM   #105
Daggitt

I heve not moved for such reasons. Howeever I do my best not to buy any good or service from Calif. , Illinois , Massachusetts etc. I let my billfold vote my opinion whenever possible.
Old January 18, 2013, 04:22 PM   #106
Mike38

In light of what recently happened in New York, would everyone agree that Illinois is far from being called Draconian? I sure would. I'm going to go to my man cave a make sure my 30 round mags are all loaded. You guys in NY keep those 7 rounders handy now!
Old January 18, 2013, 04:30 PM   #107
2ndsojourn

I moved to the fascist state of New Jersey from PA. Temporarily. In '83. I'm still here but looking forward to moving back to the wild west.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:51 PM   #108
RedBowTies88

The worse part about NJ is, if you went to philadelphia and walked maybe 10 miles south and then drew a line straight across to the atlantic and called it its own state we would have some of the best gubn laws in the country..

same goes for 30-40 miles north of NYC

Its just that armpit part in the middle where everyone lives that screws us over.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:58 PM   #109
sam colt

Maryland to North Carolina. Love the South.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:33 PM   #110
USMC EOD

When I retired from the military, I was in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. Their views on guns was probably my number one concern, and their greed for taxes was number two, so I moved to the Commenwealth of Virginia. It isn't the best state, but much better than Maryland by leaps and bounds. On the down side I have to drive almost an hour to work every day. Several of my co-workers live in Virginia for the same reason.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:36 PM   #111
jimbob86

I used to drive 47 minutes to work every day...... but it was a nice drive, with little to no traffic through rural Nebraska....... 2 stoplights..... now the City has grown out to meet me ....
Old January 18, 2013, 10:38 PM   #112
USMCGrunt

Other than boot camp and infantry school in Kalifornia and a couple month long TDY trips there as well, along with an 18 month tour of duty in Italy, I have never lived in a place that wasn't free. Born and raised in ND, spent most of my time in NC when I was in the Marines and then Florida to NC to Florida again when I was in the reserves before finally movign out here to Wyoming. I guess I really don't count my time in the Corps since having weapons while living in the barracks was a royal PITA but other than that, NC wasn't a bad place. As far as the democratic republic of Kalifornia goes, when my orders ended in September 2011, I was offered a job as OPFOR for a FLIR training company. I turned it down simply because it was near Sacramento. I told the recruiter (a retired USAF PJ) I would rather live in a cave and eat dirt like some kind of Afghan before I would consider moving to Kalifornia! He understood and later I got a GS job in Wyoming and I love it, both the job as well as the state.
Sorry for the F'ed up states and the conditions you have to deal with but I will not be joining you there. I know some folks behind the lines say we should move to these blue states to increase our numbers and take it back. Well, the idea of leaving family and friends behind to move into an opressive state is no better for us than for you to leave your homes either and we get the added kick in the balls of intentionally moving into a place where our kind isn't accepted in the first place.
Old January 25, 2013, 07:48 AM   #113
Brit

The move from England to Australia was a big one (12000 miles!) in 1965.

The move to Canada in 1968, an other big one, 35 years digging out of snow banks!

Joining my Son in Florida, in 2003, smart move. Sitting here at my Laptop, with my Glock19, and Cell phone, good feeling.

Watching the dummy, Joe Biden, on TV, surrounded by Children, Obama too.
Lets me know this is going to be some battle. The opposition to my freedoms is well funded, and totally unscrupulous.

In speaking to non gun people, the true reason the second amendment was created, to protect us from our Government, if we need too? It is like I am a weird new Citizen, "Sit down Grand Dad, have a drink of water!"

I had my Florida CCWL, prior to moving to Orlando, and carry every day.

One time only in those 10 years I was almost pushed into shooting two young men, not too long ago, very close. The thought of not having 16 rounds of very effective 9mm cartridges ready to go, at that time, sends cold shivers down my spine.

This was in answer to a threat against my lovely Wife of 20 years. The fact that the two young men were black, or that I am white, or my Wife is Indian, from the West Indies originally, had no bearing on this threat.

God Bless Florida.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:57 PM   #114
P5 Guy

Left New Jersey in 1989 and will never return to that state, I loved the Pine Barrens. The Wharton Tract, Cape May Point are beautiful places too bad the government there is the pits.
Now in the Gunshine State of Florida and I'm getting "Crackerized". I will never miss shoveling snow either.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:32 AM   #115
wuluf

With respect to the debate about leaving a restrictive state or staying and fighting to change it: I believe the Founders wanted the states to be "laboratories of democracy" so that residents would vote with their feet. Some states would work better than others, would grow and become more prosperous and set an example for the others.
Having said that, I left NY in 1977 for AZ. Then my career brought me to CA and I've been here 20 years. It's not too bad, I have a CCW, but I'd prefer MT or ID. Retirement maybe...
Old January 26, 2013, 11:50 AM   #116
brmfan

Left my home state of NJ in the early 90's. Still miss it, but would never move back. Got pulled over once and the first thing out of the officer's mouth was "Are you some kind of gun nut?" I couldn't figure out what his problem was until I realized I had an NRA bumper sticker AND ball cap sitting in the back window! He even called for backup when the stop was supposedly just for a traffic violation.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:14 PM   #117
WillyKern69

Sure did!

Left Chicago, Illinois for Texas! Not a day goes by that I say, "Why did I not do this years ago"! Leagally Illinois may seem like it is an okay state for gun owners(I saw some earlier posts), but it is very anti-gun and anti-hunting culturally. You have to have a FOID car to even look in a gun store or touch ammo.
INDR(Illinois Natural Dept. of Resources) litterally sends e-mails out begging for donation money, because the politicians have been robbing thier funds to pay every entitlement fund known to man. Not to mention lining thier own pockets in the form of huge pensions.

Last edited by WillyKern69; February 4, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:28 AM   #118
4D5

Ten years ago, from Calif to Nevada.

I was born and raised in the San Joaquin Valley, now a far different place than back in the 50's-60's, that is... much worse.

Lived most of my life in Calif except for 4 years in the USAF.
Was divorced in 1989, first problem solved

Then things changed and I had an opportunity to move to Nevada. And as they say, that's the rest of the story.

No more more restrictive oppressive gun laws to live by.

Here in Nevada the number, type and size of toys is only limited by the thickness of your wallet
Old February 7, 2013, 11:49 AM   #119
rvb

Quote:
I am very curious as to how many of you TFLers have specifically moved from one state to another because of gun restrictions/politics? Everyone talks about moving, but just how many of you have done it for the politics of firearms?

Tell us your tale of sadness or happiness and where you are now or want to be in the future as an aspect of your love of firearms.

In addition, if you were able to, tell us which state you would move to in a
I have. Moved from MD to IN. I couldn't be happier to be living in America again.

-rvb
Old February 7, 2013, 05:19 PM   #120
breakingcontact

Indiana is surprisingly awesome.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:26 PM   #121
Elker_43

Some very great posts!

It really does makes me happy to see just how many of the folks on this thread have really thought long and hard about the politics of guns when deciding to make life changes.

I started this thread some time ago and continue to read about the stories of true americans and the way all of you feel about our country and the drive to be free by using your feet to show those in restrictive states just how silly their politics are.

My home state of Kalifornia has taken me from a 12 year old who could buy a box of 22's for a day of plinking out in the desert to fleeing the state at 61 and my adopted state of Idaho which I truely love.

Keep up the stories Guys and Gals!!
Old February 13, 2013, 11:38 PM   #122
egor20

Nope, born and bred a Virginian, and left...

Spent 22 years in the Navy then my parents were killed in an auto crash. Someone had to run the farm, sooooo..

Born and bred a Virginian, and left...
and then came back.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand

Last edited by egor20; February 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM.