The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 23, 2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Brandon_x5b

CVA conversion cylinder?

I have a CVA Armi San Marco 1858 Remington .44. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck buying conversion cylinders for this type of pistol. I have looked at several posts and found that the uberti cylinder may be the closest fit. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old September 23, 2017, 01:52 PM   #2
Hawg

You could probably call Howell or Kirst and get them to fit one for you but you will probably lose the ability to use the C&B cylinder.
Old September 23, 2017, 04:53 PM   #3
noelf2

You may be in for a lot of grief trying to fit a conversion cylinder on an older gun like that. If you are going to go through the expense of getting a conversion cylinder, perhaps you should get a new gun as well, pietta or uberti, and get the right cylinder. Keep the cva shooting c&b. Just my humble opinion.
Old September 23, 2017, 09:23 PM   #4
Stormson

I had a CVA/ASM 1858.. It was a brass frame.

Just in case you're new to conversions, and you happen to have the same kind, ya cant use them in brass frames. Ever.

Other then that.. What Hawg and Noelf said... Ya COULD get lucky and Uberti work (Pietta absolutely WONT!), but probably not, and then you'll be stuck with a $250 paperweight... Get another steel framed six shooter for the conversion. If ya go with an Uberti 1858 then ya can switch back forth if it DOES happen to work and if not then ya have one of each.. A win/win...
Old September 24, 2017, 08:42 AM   #5
noelf2

I recommend a short barreled remmy and a fluted Howell's conversion... Fluting gives it a little of that 1875 remmy look.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1858.jpg (242.5 KB, 497 views)