The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 14, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Bore Obstruction

Well it happened.
Got a brass brush stuck in the thing.

Had to push it out with a brass rod and wood dowel from the breech through the ?Nipple hole?. Glad I read all those threads in the rifle forum on how to do it, although being unable to open the breech did make things a little more complicated.
Worked pretty well after I bought the right size rod at Lowes. With a pretty bright LED the barrel looks great, so the brass worked well. Not much damage on the brass rod either. Will see if I buggered the nipple threads or not tomorrow once everything has a bit to dry out. If I did I guess I finally have a reasonable excuse to get a breach loader.

This poor muzzleloader was the first rifle I bought and seems to take all the beatings.

I'm not Catholic like my wife, so this is as close as I get to confession.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; December 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Willie Sutton

Well ally's well that ends well. Glad you got it out with nothing other than pride scratched. You did good. Would all gun stories come out the same way.

Willie

Old December 15, 2012, 02:37 AM   #3
Hawg

I don't use bore brushes. I use shotgun mops.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:17 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

Well Hawg, now that you mention it, I usually use a mop myself, BUT along with my first rifle came a cheap "universal" cleaning kit from walmart that needs an adapter to connect all the attachments to the cleaning rod. I couldn't locat the adapter for the mop and I was in a rush so I decided I could just send the 50 cal brush down a few times followed by some patches. Reversing direction in the barrel and all. That was the first mistake.