The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 19, 2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Alex Johnson

Colt Officers Model Match

I was travelling out of state and found an old Colt Officers Model Match 38 special with the brilliant shiny colt blue. I have one like it in my collection, but mine is a considerably later model with the matte blue. The serial number on this one is 3302XX, does anyone have any idea what date this would place this gun at? It is wearing what looks to be original checkered walnut stocks, it has a checkered backstrap and triggerguard. It has easily 85% blue remaining with some wear and scratches in the finish, but everything is tight. At $350 I couldn't resist and have had it transferred to my dealer in North Dakota. Any thoughts on this model and the vintage. I don't know if the price was great, but I don't think you can find a revolver of similar quality in that price range on the new market.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old April 19, 2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Scorch

Quote:
The serial number on this one is 3302XX, does anyone have any idea what date this would place this gun at?
I believe you got too many numbers in your serial number. If the number was supposed to be 5 digits, it would fall into the WW2 wartime production range (1943-1947).
Old April 19, 2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Checkered TRIGGER GUARD???
The pre-war Colt Officer's Model Target had a checkered back strap and trigger.

The Officer's Model MATCH was made from 1953 to 1969.
The Officer's Model TARGET was made from 1904 to 1949.

If yours is a 1943 to 1949 model, it'd be an Officer's Model Target, Third Issue.

You can check the production date here:

http://proofhouse.com/colt/

The progression of the Colt Officer's Models ran:
Officer's Model Target, First issue....1904-1908.
Officer's Model Target, Second Issue....1913-1923.
Officer's Model Target, Third Issue....1927-1949.
Officer's Model Special, Fourth Issue....1949-1952.
Officer's Model Match, Fifth Issue....1953-1969.
Officer's Model Match Mark III....500 made in 1969-70.
Old April 20, 2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

Ooops, I misstyped, mark that a checkered trigger. I could have made a mistake when I wrote down the number (guess I'll find out when it gets here). There is no mistaking that it is an older gun than the Officers Model that I have right now. My newer one has the original box and factory target with it and the blueing is the much darker with matting on the top of the frame. This one has the much lighter higher polished peacock blue of the earlier colts and the checkering that I do not think (I'm not home right now) that my other one has.

In any event it should be a nice shooter as it is still good and tight. My other one has been a competition gun that was well cared for, but is well worn and somewhat loose now. This one has some wear, but just enough to give it character and not make a guy guilty for adding some more to it.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old April 21, 2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Other than the super-premium Python, you can make a good argument that the Officer's Model series were the most accurate DA revolvers ever made.
Old April 28, 2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Casimer

$350 is a very good price for a 38spl OMM in the condition you describe.