The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 6, 2013, 01:33 PM   #1
waltin

VZ24 and its original stock color?

Ive been lurking on the sidelines but today I'd like to gain some information on the VZ24. I believe that these mausers like others were transformed after WWII, depending who possessed them had altered the stock finish with a stained schlack, prior to their storage. Im not sure of the accuracy of this statement but Id like to know what color the original BRNO finish was? Im hoping someone has more info on the vz's that they can expound on.

Last edited by waltin; May 6, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:22 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

This is as good a picture as I can find. Too bad it is not full length, but it is typical as far as color goes for most VZ.24's. Others were darker, depending on the wood, but most were of the color shown.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/pop...320389-2-L.JPG

Jim
Old May 7, 2013, 03:08 PM   #3
waltin

Thanks for the picture, I have one vz an it looks the same. I also acquired a cheap beat up vz stock that came a mohaganony black color and once I stripped it down the walnut was a nice light brown with a tint of pink. That I thought it might have been the original stain as the whitting process eventually removed that nice color. So im wondering when they came out of the factory back in the 30's if the color was different than the orange tinted we see these days.
Old May 7, 2013, 06:59 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

In trying to find an accurate picture, I saw a lot of refinished stocks of colors ranging from orange to yellow to brown and black. I can't say that all the VZ.24 stocks looked like the one I posted since wood varies in color. But obviously those guns have been around for at least 70 years and were used by many armies and many persons, so darkening and blackening over time is very common.

Your best bet is to look beyond the color and at the general condition of the stock for signs of sanding, oil soaking, denting, chipping, splitting, reworking, etc.

If the stock looks good in those respects, the actual color is probably not that important as an indicator of originality.

Jim
Old May 8, 2013, 07:10 AM   #5
waltin

Thanks Jim for your imput, ill kept that in mind. On the auction site I saw that color variation and each one had its own personality and I know now what direction to pursue in this project.