The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2012, 08:58 AM   #1
kealil

case cleaning question

Hello all!

I have a simple question. What is your process for wet washing your brass? What chemicals do you use?

Ok thats two questions but both still apply. I have been dry tumbling for a while now and getting good results but I want that primer pocket clean and I dont want to deal with stuck tumbling media. The few times I've ventured into wet washing, I had residue and other problems. What do you guys use to keep em shiny all over?
Old January 21, 2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

I use 14-20 corncob media from Granger and it doesn't get stuck anywhere.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:11 AM   #3
toolguy2006

I have had great luck with an ultra sonic cleaner, and the recipe found here:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...case-cleaning/

Also, something like this:

http://cool.cambro.com/Camwear_Shake...s_Display.ashx

makes changing the cleaning solution a breeze. The US cleaners that most of us can afford, only have the horsepower for a few cases at a time. Mine is the model offered by Lyman, and it can effectively clean 20 .308 cases at a time. Incidentally, that is how many cases those little shaker things will hold at once.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:27 AM   #4
hounddawg

I use a wet wash of 25% CLR and 75% water, rinse then boil for my pistol rounds and am considering even doing away with the CLR and just using a bit of dish detergent. I air dry them or blow them out with compressed air. I am pretty confident that my rounds are more accurate than my shooting ability, and unless there is some bench rest pistol competition I cant see doing any more than that.

On my rifle rounds I am down to using a bit of Never Dull around the neck, wiping the case down and inspecting it for damage then ream the inside of the neck with a reamer before resizing. I am getting less than 10 FPS differences in velocity on my chrono, so why do any more? As we used to say in the Navy, if it works don't screw with it. Back when I was tumbling I was getting 50 or more at times.

I don't sweat the primer pockets other than ensuring the flash hole is clean on new cases and making sure the pockets are tight when seating the primer.
Old January 21, 2012, 11:02 AM   #5
MR-7-45

I use a fine walnut media with a few capfuls of Dillon Precisions "Rapid Polish" then I blow out the casings with compressed air.
Old January 21, 2012, 11:28 AM   #6
maggys drawers

I use wet tumbling with stainless media, a generous tablespoon of Dawn dish soap and a 1/4 teaspoon of Lemi Shine dishwasher detergent. I get new looking brass when I open the tumbler.

I've heard of guys doing an hour or so soak in hot water with just the Lemi Shine added and they are saying their primer pockets are clean. Haven't tried it myself.

Lemi Shine can be found in the dishwasher soaps at Wally World.