The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2009, 07:08 PM   #1
Oldagefun

Did I do something wrong?

Ive been shooting and hunting for years but just lately decided to reload. At 60 years old better late then never. I've read most of the more current manuals and have had some help from more experienced people but nothing compares to the wealth of knowledge I've gained from this forum. I can't thank the many friendly people who have shared their knowledge here.
On to my problem. Loading a 30-06 Nosler Bt 180 gr bullet with 57.5 gr of Viht N 165. Data came from the Nosler manual so I assume its OK. In seating the bullet the powder crunches. I've attempted to tap the cases and have even dropped the powder with a long necked funnel. Have I created a compressed load that might be potentially dangerous. Since I'm new at this would appreciate advice from you more experienced guys.

Never knew I could have so much fun with a new hobby like this. Nobody told me that I would be spending most of my extra cash on brass, bullets, powder ect. Thanx.
Old November 27, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
jepp2

I don't have a Nosler manual. Compressed powder charges in rifle loads are common in some calibers. Some manuals show compressed charges by an * or some other means. I load some 222 and 223 loads that I can't even get all the powder in the case without settling the powder.

I assume you are not starting with the max load listed with your load?
Old November 27, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
steveno

a compressed load isn't bad if you have a slow burning powder. I used 60 grains of H4831 in a 270 and it is a compressed load. if you have the Nosler book I think it lists the loading density of the load as a percentage. what does it say? if it is above 90 % there will probably be some powder compression. as is usually the case you don't start at the max load but start 10 to 15 % below and work up. all guns and pressure testing guns are different.
Old November 27, 2009, 09:34 PM   #4
wncchester

"In seating the bullet the powder crunches."

Compressed loads are not automatically good or bad, lots of other things come into play. IF your load displays no signs of excess pressure it's okay from that stand point.

It is possible for some highly compressed loads to actully push bullets up over a period of time. Only checking your average OAL after assembly and again after a week or so can tell you if that's happening. It likely isn't, but it's worth checking.
Old November 28, 2009, 12:08 AM   #5
LHB1

First, welcome to the forum "youngster". Glad to have you. Second, No, you didn't do anything wrong. That load is shown as a middle level load in the latest Nosler reloading guide with the powder and bullet you named and should not be a problem. Per the manual it is 109% load density. When a load is shown as over 100% loading density, it will be a compressed load. Slightly compressed loads are not dangerous if they don't exceed cartridge/gun pressure limits. The Nosler manual lists other loads for .30-06 with loading density as high as 114%.

Normally I try to choose a powder and bullet combination that will avoid compressed loads. For the .30-06 and 180 gr bullet, you might try IMR4320, Win760, IMR4350, or IMR4831. Each of these powders can exceed the predicted velocity for 180 gr bullet with Viht N165 powder and without needing compressed loading density.

Last edited by LHB1; November 28, 2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old November 28, 2009, 01:52 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

What brass are you using?

If it is something other than what Nosler built the load around, it might make a big difference.
Old November 28, 2009, 03:34 AM   #7
Hook686

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=30cal&s=137

you might ask your question on the Nosler forum site.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 28, 2009, 06:19 AM   #8
TheNatureBoy

Good advice from every body. Here is something else to consider. Check your bullet seater, make sure its set correctly. Also check you scale for 0.
I also checked my Nosler Manual (current) and it lists the Load Density for Viht N165/57.5 grains as **109 percent (compressed load). I checked the Nosler website and they list the same Load Density as 98 percent. I will only assume that since it is listed in the manual its ok to shoot other wise there would be a warning some where in the load data. You can always call Nosler and ask them.

P.S. welcome aboard. Reloading is addictive.

Last edited by TheNatureBoy; November 28, 2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old November 28, 2009, 02:05 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

57.5 grains is the 'middle' load in the Nosler manual. I wouldn't start with that load. Given the fact that this powder gives you compressed loads, I really wouldn't start with it.
Back down to the starting load, and work up in 0.5 gr or smaller increments. Some powders become unpredictable when compressed, or compressed different amounts.

It seems you haven't 'done anything wrong', but compressed loads can be tricky.
Don't forget a good crimp when you load these. Some compressed powders are capable of pushing the bullet right out of the case.