The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 25, 2020, 07:50 AM   #26
bobn

well i wasn't gonna start my day without checking my m70. "made in usa, assembled in portugal" marked. the inside of the stock is not rough like your picture. and it does have a finish/sealer on it, not just raw wood.
,,,hope what ever you decide, it turns out well. bob
Old September 25, 2020, 08:07 AM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
If you’ve never had, shot, or reloaded for one before, I believe you’ll enjoy the .270 WSM cal. I helped a friend out, figuring a good handload for their M700 SPS in that cal. Just a factory rifle, with no mods other than a factory trigger adjusted to around 3 lbs. turning out consistant sub moa on each outing to the range. Stayed within the higher end of the Hodgdon data range using IMR 4350 and Hornady 150 grn. S.Ps.

Why on earth did they change that wonderful old M70 trigger? Beautifully simplistic system (IMO).

Beautiful rifle, BTW, hope it shines downrange for you.
Thanks! I agree I favor the old-style trigger. I've developed some good loads for the 270 Weatherby magnum--though that's a different case but ballistic performance is almost identical and it is exceptionally accurate for a .277. I have similar hopes for this cartridge. I'm careful with Hodgdon data--my personal opinion is that they wander off into red-line territory very often with their maximum loads so I tend to take them with a grain of salt and stay under them, often I achieve their max velocity under their max charge.

Quote:
well i wasn't gonna start my day without checking my m70. "made in usa, assembled in portugal" marked. the inside of the stock is not rough like your picture. and it does have a finish/sealer on it, not just raw wood.
,,,hope what ever you decide, it turns out well. bob
Sounds like your rifle was made prior to Winnie going belly-up and being totally taken over by FN's browning factory in Portugal.

Last edited by stagpanther; September 25, 2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old September 25, 2020, 08:22 AM   #28
stagpanther

Hey Scorch--another question to you: you mentioned you just handled a batch of 70's for a customer--some of which I notice are long actions. Do the long actions also have a 1-piece bottom metal and the same 7 1/8" spacing between the receiver screws? Reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out whether or not there two different receivers now between the short action and long action. I'm thinking there has to be two different receivers.
Old September 25, 2020, 08:41 AM   #29
reinert

I think it was Mr. Rifleman (IIRC), the venerated Townsend W. himself, once said, “Only accurate rifles are interesting.” Hope that new one is a bug shooter the Col. would find interesting, as you already got “purty” for sure. Some old saying about cake and eatin’ it too? Hope that’s what you find on your plate!
Old September 25, 2020, 08:59 AM   #30
godale

I like it ! But for 900 all that work ? It’s really a shame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 25, 2020, 10:32 AM   #31
godale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddog409 View Post
For $900 you shouldn't have to do anything beyond shoot it.

I would have returned it.

I spent 900 and got production rifle with Cerekote action and barrel. Full length aluminum mini chassis. No bedding issues. Even the front swivel studs are screwed into the chassis. A performance trigger that is easily adjusted, but came at just a titch under 3 lbs with zero creep. Breaks like glass. Threaded barrel. Hand painted stock that is awesome. Adjustable cheek. The action is smooth as butter in July. There is no work needed to make things right. It shoots an honest 1/2 MOA.

This is what Winchester should be held to. As consumers we should force the these companies to be better. Return defects. That gets their attention. Buy other brands. That gets their attention. Stop settling for subpar quality.

Too many options out there to fix a brand new rifle.

I agree but it sure is pretty

Old September 25, 2020, 11:57 AM   #32
Don Fischer

Just wondering, before you decided it was a POS did you shoot it to see how it shot? I don't consider a 4# trigger all that bad but most my trigger's are set at 3#. For me 3# is perfect. I have a mod 70 Featherweight I got new in about 2006. came with a 5# trigger and was no problem at all to shoot. Shoot's right at 1" at 100yds and that is fine with me, hunting rifle! First Winchester I've ever had pretty much a round action fan, I know how to bed them! I have to Mossberg Patriot's I have not bedded. Never seen a rifle bedded as they are before and worry about messing up. But then in one I only shoot cast bullet's and the other, a 243, shoot's right at 1/2" and not one thing done to it. But before I condemned it to POS status I worked up a load and found one I liked. I think every manufacturer has their detractor's and with Winchester I suspect it's those that believe the pre 64 is the greatest there ever was, I doubt that but they were a good rifle. How they got God like status I haven't a clue! I suspect perhaps the OP's discontent might come from the rifle is built different that what he's used to. As for the trigger adjustment's not working, maybe some of the epoxy used seeped down into it. Most trigger's on new rifles I've ever seen have some kind of a glue on the adjustments, keeps them from moving on their own. My 700's it seem's have a small lock nut but seem's even they were locked in with some kind of glue. I can not imagine a company letting out a rifle with a trigger not well locked in, even if adjustable! Imagine if it should fail! It's claimed my Rem 700 trigger's are bad yet I have adjusted every one myself and have never had one fail me. I like my old Rem trigger's. Oh, I also found trying to set them under 3# is a fools mission. Then they are prone to fail! That Mod 70 above is a nice looking rifle and I would certainly have shoot it before fooling with it. Even the trigger I'd have checked with Winchester on before condemning it! 4# trigger would suit me just fine!
Old September 25, 2020, 01:49 PM   #33
godale

a dream come true--new rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
Just wondering, before you decided it was a POS did you shoot it to see how it shot? I don't consider a 4# trigger all that bad but most my trigger's are set at 3#. For me 3# is perfect. I have a mod 70 Featherweight I got new in about 2006. came with a 5# trigger and was no problem at all to shoot. Shoot's right at 1" at 100yds and that is fine with me, hunting rifle! First Winchester I've ever had pretty much a round action fan, I know how to bed them! I have to Mossberg Patriot's I have not bedded. Never seen a rifle bedded as they are before and worry about messing up. But then in one I only shoot cast bullet's and the other, a 243, shoot's right at 1/2" and not one thing done to it. But before I condemned it to POS status I worked up a load and found one I liked. I think every manufacturer has their detractor's and with Winchester I suspect it's those that believe the pre 64 is the greatest there ever was, I doubt that but they were a good rifle. How they got God like status I haven't a clue! I suspect perhaps the OP's discontent might come from the rifle is built different that what he's used to. As for the trigger adjustment's not working, maybe some of the epoxy used seeped down into it. Most trigger's on new rifles I've ever seen have some kind of a glue on the adjustments, keeps them from moving on their own. My 700's it seem's have a small lock nut but seem's even they were locked in with some kind of glue. I can not imagine a company letting out a rifle with a trigger not well locked in, even if adjustable! Imagine if it should fail! It's claimed my Rem 700 trigger's are bad yet I have adjusted every one myself and have never had one fail me. I like my old Rem trigger's. Oh, I also found trying to set them under 3# is a fools mission. Then they are prone to fail! That Mod 70 above is a nice looking rifle and I would certainly have shoot it before fooling with it. Even the trigger I'd have checked with Winchester on before condemning it! 4# trigger would suit me just fine!

Not as skilled as others but all my triggers are set at 4 lbs

Old September 25, 2020, 01:54 PM   #34
stagpanther

Quote:
Why are people always putting words in my mouth that I never said? I may have said I didn't like the blobs, rough inside finish and new fangdango modular trigger compared to an old model 70--but I NEVER said it was a POS!!

In fact......
Old September 25, 2020, 02:08 PM   #35
stagpanther

Although I was not supposed to leave the project I'm working on--I couldn't stand the anticipation and snuck out the door--I figured if I worked fast and just stepped out of my truck and shoot off the hood I could at least get some idea of how she shoots and be gone and back on my lunch break.

Setting up fast at 103 yds I pulled the bolt and sighted down the bore--luckily it only took one shot to get on paper. The ammo I'm using is the cheapest I could find--I chose it just to harvest brass and get some break-in on the barrel. The box arrived damaged, the cartridges tarnished and dinged, so I thought it would be crappy stuff. Boy was I surprised!

These are shots 2 through 6 down the virgin barrel--and I swear I actually pulled at least two of them. LOL I have to admit I've sometimes spent a week or two and 50 cartridges or more with some of my tuned handloads to get results like this.

It may be rough finished on the inside (though I did work a bit of "magic" on it), and it may not be as pretty as other's model 70's--but by God it's MY model 70!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1stshots model70.jpg (149.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3521.jpg (105.1 KB, 132 views)
Old September 25, 2020, 02:09 PM   #36
godale

Nice rifle

Old September 25, 2020, 02:12 PM   #37
stagpanther

Thanks--I look forward to developing some loads for it.
Old September 25, 2020, 02:20 PM   #38
stagpanther

Incidentally--the felt recoil is noticeably less than that of a 270 Weatherby magnum--this is a pleasant to shoot gun for a magnum IMO.
Old October 7, 2020, 09:10 PM   #39
stagpanther

Unfortunately the Winchester 270 WSM brass I bought is the worst brass I've ever purchased--donuts in the necks, dings in the cases, rim grooves machined incorrectly in a high number of cases.
Old October 8, 2020, 04:08 AM   #40
jetinteriorguy

Alright, I know you didn’t shoot that target. Where is the obligatory stray shot? All kidding aside congrats, looks like a shooter. I’ve always been tempted to get a 7mm short magnum, still thinking about it.
Old October 8, 2020, 04:39 AM   #41
stagpanther

Quote:
Where is the obligatory stray shot? All kidding aside congrats, looks like a shooter. I’ve always been tempted to get a 7mm short magnum, still thinking about it.
LOL--you know me well and the fact that I always throw a flyer in every tight group I shoot. A 7mm WSM would be great too I would think, with the advantage of more bullets available. Berger does make a modern 165 vld for the .277 but I don't think the twist is enough on my 70's barrel--I may try them anyway just out of curiosity. I think the WSM is a great case design--as is I suspect the SAUM. Tricky finding quality barrels/brass for either one though.

The .277 I've always thought is a great caliber; I have 2 6.8 spc rifles, 2 270 win rifles and now this one--I originally was looking for a 270 Weatherby Magnum but couldn't find one that fit the bill for what I wanted.