The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 8, 2014, 10:26 AM   #1726
BillyG

Howdy from SE Texas!

Have been a 'member' here since 2009 (I think). I've even made a few post. Anyway, figured it was time to introduce myself. Love reading the forums, both the subjects and the comments.

Billy G
Arsenal (to name a few): DPMS Sportical w/Magpul, Marlin 336 (30-30) and XL7(25-06), Savage 110 (308), Winchester Mod 70 (243), H&R Handi Rifle (7mm 08), Blackhawk .357, Super Single Six 22/22WMR, SR9, SR1911, S&W M&P 45, Ruger LC9. Wishlist includes a SR 40, Mini-14. Dream Pistol - 5 1/2" Redhawk 44 mag. Dream Rifle - M-1 Garand.
Quote:
***What is GUN CONTROL??? Gun control is hitting what you AIM AT!!! Damn Right I believe in Gun Control!***
Old June 15, 2014, 11:25 AM   #1727
The Harmonica Kid

Introduction

Hey everyone, Im the Harmonica Kid (After my favorite character from Once Upon A Time in the West). Ive been creeping on your forum for a while and finally just decided to join. Im from NC and im a grunt in the Marine Corps currently. Im pretty young, but ive been shooting all my life. Like most people, my father got me into it- he was a benchrest shooter for quite some time and was acually a minor celeb in that world. ( He was one of the first americans to ever play with the .338 Lapua for example) Im more of a handgunner than anything, rifleman next, and a shotgunner dead last- the only one i own is a stock 870 express. My list of guns follows- A beautiful old 700 BDL in 25-06, made in 1970 that i bought off an old FBI agent who was getting into .22 benchrest. A henry .22 lever gun. A Ruger Gp 100. My absolute favorite gun ever that i bought myself when i was 14 and shot the crap out of- my ruger single 10. The aftermentioned 870. And finally, an fns-40 that isnt technically mine, but my friend lent it to me when we went to frontsight and i intend to buy it off him so its sort of mine. Anyway thanks for the time and i hope to have a good expierience here with everyone.
Where the hell do you put the bayonet? (Chestey Puller, upon seeing his first flamethrower)
Old June 16, 2014, 06:36 AM   #1728
txpossum

A native Texan (Fort Worth is home) now living in SW Pennsylvania. I started shooting when I was 5 years old, and the depressing math now gives me 54 years of shooting experience. The majority of my experience has been handguns, and in my younger days was a Bullseye shooter, but in the past four or five years my interest in long guns has grown.

My favorite handgun: 1911, with N-frame Smiths being a close second.

My favorite rifle: Savage 99

My firearm-related pet peeve: People who refer to semi-auto handguns as pistols but put wheelguns in a separate category as revolvers. I don't know exactly where this started, but it's not correct. Both are technically pistols, and it really annoys me.
Old June 16, 2014, 10:14 PM   #1729
Doc Holliday 1950

New to TFL

Hi Everyone. Been carrying since 1970 when I was on home town police Reserves. Qualified on FBI range and carried a 4 inch 357 mag Colt Python.
Got married 33 yrs. ago and sold the Colt. Should have got rid of the wife(which came later). Now I have 2- 357 mags. one's a 2 inch Rossi with laser sights and the other is a 4 inch Windicator 357 mag. I picked up the EAA and to me the balance was terrific. Had the trigger worked on and it's not pretty, but don't care if it's pretty as long as it shoots every time and exactly where I want it to go.Even my wife(2nd) likes it. I had a 9mm Millennium with Poly frame. Talk about recoil and jumping around. Give me steel every time and the 357 mags never jam. If I need 12-22 shots, then I'm dead no matter what. One great placed shot beat the heck out of 22 rounds.
I spent weeks reading this expert and that expert on what to use for Critical Personal Defense and everyone had different thoughts. Finally bought 357 mag 125 grain JHP from Remington. Shoots like a dream and the noise and recoil absolutely don't bother me. Also spoke to the master gunsmiths at EAA and Rossi and both said the same thing DO NOT USE 38 special +P loads.
Glad to be here.Yes, I love being a "Junior Member".

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; June 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old June 16, 2014, 10:54 PM   #1730
Doc Holliday 1950

best ammo

Ok. This why I joined up. I currently am using Remington's 125 grain 357 mag SJHP. in both my 2 inch and my 4 inch 357 mag revolver.

Do I stick with the Remington, or get the Golden Sabre or use the Hornady 125 grain JHP 357 mag ammo or Gold Dot 357 mag 158 grain JHP?

All I want is to stop the SOB dead in his tracks while protecting my family and business,
Old June 17, 2014, 12:35 AM   #1731
old farm hand

David

Hi,
It's rural where I am so shooting and making noise isn't a problem. I like guns and am able to use responsibly. My favorite gun is all of them.
Old June 19, 2014, 06:11 AM   #1732
MosinMan91/30

Hello

I am new to TFL. I am really big in to Mosin Nagants. And just really like everything shooting related.
Old June 19, 2014, 06:00 PM   #1733
Shotgun Slim

New to TFL and glad to be here. I am an old clay target shooter who has gotten bitten hard by the pistol bug just because I wanted to improve with my EDC. I find myself deep into IDPA,bowling pin shooting and dueling tree shootouts. I must enjoy flirting with disaster because all I shoot is .40 s&w and I reload every round. It seems there are plenty of reasonable voices here and I hope I can add to the conversation.
Old June 20, 2014, 07:42 PM   #1734
recoil junky

New Guy Here

As the user name implies, I like to shoot. If it can go bang I'd shoot it at least once. I shoot wheel guns, (44 mags and .357's) bolt guns, (22 lr to 300RUM to 45-70) and the occasional sidelock muzzle loader. I cast my own bullets for the 44's, 357's and the 45-70 and when need arises for the 45 Kentucky rifle. I reload for everything I shoot (except the 22 )

I'm a big time elk hunter and varmint shooter.

So, I guess that's it . . .

RJ
Old June 25, 2014, 03:23 AM   #1735
Modeler

Hi, new here.... Been into firearms as a hobby for about 4 years now and I've already amassed a good size collection. I'm mostly into handguns and NFA stuff (SBR's and suppressors) and just today sent off Form 7CR to get my C&R FFL. I also have a part time job at a local gun shop. Looking forward to hearing a broader set of ideas than what I get on my local forum.
Old June 27, 2014, 08:11 PM   #1736
Intheshop

First post

Retired builder.Got a pro cabinet shop,a very well equipped machine shop,all welding processes.......you'll usually find me,"in the shop".
Old July 4, 2014, 11:21 AM   #1737
kajvid

New guy. From Alameda, CA.
Old July 6, 2014, 09:04 PM   #1738
Bubs1179

New to tfl

I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm in the middle of a 1976 speedmaster 552a project and I just posted details to find its value. Thanks in advance and I look forward to chattin w u guys.
Old July 6, 2014, 09:06 PM   #1739
drive_sideways

Im new just joined a couple days ago. Live in a very rural area an love shooting guns. I'll shoot just about anything. Love deer hunting an skeet shooting especially. Fav rifle ive owned was a tikka t3 ss in 270 wsm in lefty cuz i shoot lefty. Looking to buy my first handgun in a few months.
Old July 14, 2014, 12:37 PM   #1740
9uc

Hello from Las Vegas, NV. Not native to these parts, born and reared in N. Central Texas, but have been residing here since I was stationed at Nellis AFB in late '85. Have been on the site for a few days, mostly reading but have done a couple of responses to others posts.
Then said He unto them.... he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
RetiredUSAF,
Life Mrb NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW

Last edited by 9uc; July 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old July 16, 2014, 04:05 PM   #1741
DPI7800

Hello all new here but not new to firearms, I am a full time LE firearm instructor and have been so for over 7 years. I am also an avid archery hunter.
Old July 18, 2014, 01:36 AM   #1742
Alpena

I'm a new member but I've been a follower of TFL for a few years now. I'm mostly here to seek advice and give advice when I can and I look foward to being a part of this great forum for many years to come.
Old July 19, 2014, 03:56 AM   #1743
DeadEyeJack

Hello, my name is...

Hey y'all, the names DeadEyeJack. Sadly that isn't a boast as I've never been more than an average shot at best. Its actually a nickname that gets passed down in my family every other generation or so. We even have a rifle sling that goes with it.

I'm primarily a handgun shooter. As odd as it may be, the first gun I ever shot was a 44mag wheel gun and I've loved handguns ever since. I've recently learned how to use a semi-auto and now carry a Beretta 92. I shoot enough rifle to keep me in practice for deer season. The only reason I even own a shotgun is in case of a break in.

I've actually been using this site for the past few years. Anytime I had a firearms related question I'd Google it and probably 8 out of 10 times I'd find the answer by clickin a link from this site. I finally decided to give up the ghost and just join.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:48 PM   #1744
Gabe1972

Hi from Western NY, the SAFE ACT state (ug). I'm new to TFL and primarily came to learn and ask questions about .223 bolt action rifles and ammo. This is a great forum.
Old July 30, 2014, 10:29 PM   #1745
maconite

Greetings and salutations

Just wanted to take a moment to say hello and let you all know I'm here.

Fortunately, I'm in Georgia, where the politicians are expanding their views on the right to carry, unlike some of the states where carry rights are being whittled away or made financially burdensome. The last bill we had passed here allows concealed carry in government (state/county/city) building and prevents hassles over demands to see licenses. The only government building I cannot carry in now are those like the courthouse where they have metal screening devices and a trained security officer manning it. Those little paper signs, like a pistol with a circle and a slash through it - aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Now, in all fairness.... If the management of a business asks you to leave because you're armed - and you DON'T - they CAN have you arrested for criminal trespass. But if they don't want my business, I'll happily spend my money elsewhere - NOT a problem.

I got my first firearm at the tender age of 5 years old. A single shot bolt action .22 rifle, and a brick of shorts, purchased by my parents with Benson and hedges & Belair cigarette coupons. Needless to say, that was well before the GCA of 68. At the time I could hold the rifle, or I could hold the bullets - but I couldn't have both at the same time.

But I followed suit and bought my daughter a .22 single shot rifle for HER birthday when she turned 5 as well. Her's was a Ted Williams lever action single shot .22 that she wasn't strong enough to cock the hammer on. That was a GOOD thing! It meant MY hand was on the weapon at all times while it was loaded and she was shooting it. You should have seen them at the range when she walked in (with me of course) carrying her own rifle. When they questioned it my response was, "Can you tell me better place to teach her gun safety than at a range? Don't worry, I'll have one hand on the weapon at all times when it's loaded." THIS they had to see - and they did.

But I'm in central Georgia, retired, a boolit caster and reloader as well as a weapons restorer - all as hobbies. I've brought several weapons back into service that had been abandoned in outdoor sheds for decades and am currently working on a Ruger Mini-14 that probably hadn't been cleaned since it was manufactured and sat in a high humidity closet for too many years. Another 7-10 hand rubbed coats of Formby's Tung Oil varnish and it'll look a LOT better than it did the day it left the factory. I've already gotten rid of the rust and done the (cold) bluing on the hardware. All that's left to finish is the furniture.

But I'm glad to be here and look forward to meeting you all.

maconite
Old August 4, 2014, 06:54 PM   #1746
Zeffie

Michigan based web hosting service

After hearing how some Internet providers were discriminating against the Firearm community of websites and shutting off their services, I decided to open FirearmHosting.com. I have hosted websites, managed servers, provided Linux support, written code, and developed software packages for years. I’ve been a full time Internet consultant and service provider since 1996. I can host sites, servers, all here in the United States, and not shut you off without notice because your site is firearm related.
Internet website hosting support and service since the 90’s
Old August 5, 2014, 01:35 PM   #1747
missshooter

Hey everyone, new gal here from sunny California

Grew up shooting with my dad and brothers and looking forward to joining the community. Cheers!
Old August 6, 2014, 07:29 PM   #1748
armed

Been lurking for years. My first post - I think?

Hello, I’m 54 years old.

I’m a lifelong shooter.

Did six years in the Navy (3 yrs active, 3 yrs reserve) and was stationed on the USS Tuscaloosa, USS Samual Gompers, and USS Gridley. Received Expeditionary Medal for Iran Hostage Crisis. My last year was shore duty attached to COMPHIBGRUEASTPAC in San Diego, 32nd Street. Felt strange with sea legs and all.

Currently, I’m Staff Investigator for a criminal law firm and a humble full-time firearms instructor. I stay in my lane, no Tier 1 Operator, BTDT, HSLG bs… or whatever gun poetry that’s being touted these days by trainers with absolutely zero combat experience.

There are many gun boards but I always turn here for keeping it real. Thanks for having me.

Last edited by armed; August 6, 2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old August 7, 2014, 10:59 AM   #1749
Sometnfancy

New Member Seeking Advice

Hi. I'm Sometnfancy. This is my first post and I'm new to any kind of forum website. Could people please educate me what the official rules and conduct are for forum posts? Thanks a ton
Old August 7, 2014, 11:03 AM   #1750
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Welcome!

Click on "Forum Rules" near the top-left of this page.

Simplest put, courtesy and politeness and staying on topic.

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent