The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 17, 2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Prof Young

Theory on gun auctions confirmed once again.

Spent large part of this afternoon at a gun auction. Don't know about the rest of the country but in rural IL it kind of goes like this IN GENERAL:
1. Cheap guns go for more than they are worth ($90 derringer for $160).
2. Middle ranged good serviceable guns go for about what they are worth or are a good buy. (Mossberg Deer slayer package in 12 ga for $400)
3. High priced guns are a good buy. (CZ 550 Safari Magnum 459 Win Mag for $900)
And if you wanna buy a good serviceable used 12ga bide your time and you'll eventually get a $400-$500 gun for $200-$300.
I bought a CVA Hawken kit gun, already assembled in 45 cal for $90 and a Stevens bolt action 20ga for $80. If the Hawken works well I'll expand my Deer hunting into the muzzle loader season. Not sure what to do with Stevens 20ga. Look for thread called "Would This Be Legal" in the legal part of this forum.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 17, 2018, 07:20 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Shoot the Stevens. They're more fun that you might expect. ... IF it has a magazine.
If it doesn't, give it to someone that likes single-shots.
Last time I checked, the 2-round magazines were $40(+).
Old February 17, 2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Chaparral

I like to go to gunshows to find nick knacks and fun stuff. I like to talk to friends and sample beef jerky. But RARELY will I buy a weapon. And don't ever take your gun to trade or to sell. Occasionally you will find a fellow that is selling his personal weapons that you can reach a sensible deal with, but very rare. I usually look at guns that I read about, touch them, examine them, and then go order them. Many times scopes are the same way. I just shake my head when you go to these shows and the prices are higher than Cabelas or any other chain sporting goods store, and on top of that you can buy them cheaper than Cabelas even. And gun auctions are too frustrating. I go just to watch people spend ridiculous amounts for things.
Old February 17, 2018, 10:02 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
but in rural IL
1. Cheap guns go for more than they are worth ($90 derringer for $160).
Rural IL here, too. Haven't been to a gun auction for quite a piece.

Anyhoo -- I remember one gun auction where a FEG PA-63 went for $300. At the time they were going for $99 from the various surplus vendors (AIM and the like).
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 18, 2018, 06:20 AM   #5
Mike40-11

That's about what I see. I still go though, sometimes you get lucky. Just went to one last night. Well, couple guns at an auction, not a "gun auction". Ruger LCP went for $275. They're $230 at Cabelas, cheaper elsewhere...
Old February 18, 2018, 08:59 AM   #6
RedHoundTargets

In my experience (CT) things have gone somewhat like you stated. The little trick is that if you wait till about the third quarter of the auction you can get common items for super cheap. At that point many people have already spent a lot of their cash on earlier items and now want to make sure they’ve got enough for the unique/hard to find things that are still on the table near the end. Because of this I’ve seen decent condition mosins, 1903s, somewhat no-name but plenty-serviceable shotguns, etc go for $5 just to move the auction along because no one was bidding on them.
Old February 18, 2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Mike40-11

Bingo Redhound. Ive picked up a lot of reloading equipment and components dirt cheap that way.
Old February 19, 2018, 11:46 AM   #8
the possum

Prof Young-
Did you go to the one in Greenville?

I've also noticed the general trends you're talking about. Once at an auction, the local gun dealer was there in the audience, and remarked he wished he could bring his entire inventory to the auction so it could sell for more money.

The main thing is that there's always a deal on something, even if much is overpriced. Ya just gotta be patient and watch for it.
Old February 19, 2018, 11:05 PM   #9
kenny53

I don't go to gun auctions but do go to gun shows. I will agree with Chaparral about prices at gun shows. But at the last show I went to I found a guy selling a personal collection and was able to buy a NIB never fired Ruger Stainless Steel SP 101 4 inch barrel 357 mag for $400 out the door. So deals are out there if you look long enough.
Old February 20, 2018, 09:07 PM   #10
In The Ten Ring

I went to an auction in 1991 and watched two old men get into a bidding war over an $8.00 box of 30.30 shells. One happy fool bought that box for over $20.00. SMH.

I bought a dozen turkey calls for almost nothing. I didn't get any use out of those for 25 years until a friend used one to call in a bird so I had a shot.
Old February 21, 2018, 02:49 AM   #11
Rob228

Quote:
I bought a dozen turkey calls for almost nothing. I didn't get any use out of those for 25 years until a friend used one to call in a bird so I had a shot.
But for 25 years you never woke up thinking "I need to buy turkey calls today"
Old February 25, 2018, 12:58 AM   #12
Prof Young

Possum, yes I did . . .

Possum - Yeah it was the Langham brothers auction. They do at least one gun auction a year and have 300 plus lots every time. I've learned to go to the preview, and take a good look at the last 100 lots. The auction starts at ten and I show up at 12:30 or 1:00. A big part of the crowd is gone by then and the guns I might buy, in expensive guns to shoot for fun, stay in expensive. There are still the on line bidders so the high end stuff stays high end. It's partly for entertainment and education. I'll keep track of what the guns sale for and then look them up in my "gun values" book later at my leisure. The Langhams are a good bunch of guys and I enjoy their auctions.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 25, 2018, 05:13 PM   #13
In The Ten Ring

But for 25 years you never woke up thinking "I need to buy turkey calls today"

I was listening to the advice of a serious turkey hunting friend who came with me and who urged me to buy that box....I did try to learn how to use those mouth calls but to no avail. Not much money put out so I came off OK I think---much better than that guy that bought an $8.00 box of Winchester 30.30 shells for $20.00.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; February 25, 2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old February 25, 2018, 05:52 PM   #14
Tom2

Yea, I always have to LOL when the radio ads for the gunshows claim "buy at low gun show prices....".