The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 23, 2011, 09:07 PM   #1
dlbarr

Difference in quality for the price?

I'm referring to the price difference between Pietta or Uberti and Cimarron. As you know there is a significant $$ difference between these companies' products and I am wondering if there is, in the opinion of you all, a commensurate difference in the quality of Cimarron over the others.

I am just getting started in this game and don't have the experience to know these answers yet.
Old November 23, 2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Both Pietta and Uberti are manufacturers. Cimmaron is an importer. I believe most of Cimmaron's revolvers are made by Uberti.
Old November 23, 2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Hawg

Cimarrons are a cut above even tho they are Uberti's but a Pietta from Cabela's is the best bang for the buck.
Old November 23, 2011, 10:22 PM   #4
dlbarr

Yeah I was aware that Uberti made the stuff Cimarron sells. I talked with somebody there in Fredericksburg and they said that the manufacturing and steel quality was superior to anything else on the market. Like they bought/provided the machinery for Uberti which was or is supposed to be better than what is used for the production of the other firearms.

Anyway, that's still my question - is their stuff made better than the others?
Old November 23, 2011, 10:23 PM   #5
dlbarr

OK Hawg, thanks.....so why is their stuff "a cut above"?
Old November 23, 2011, 11:48 PM   #6
Shotgun693

Some importers do extra stuff to the guns they market. My Taylor and Co SAA has a better fit and finish, has case hardening on the hammer and to me feels slicker. I've heard it argued back and forth, all I know is my T&Co is a better gun than the plain Uberti or the Navy Arms SAAs I've owned.
Old November 24, 2011, 04:24 AM   #7
Hawg

Cimarron supposedly hand picks there's from the factory. I've also heard they do their own finish work and tuning. I have a Cimarron SAA and had a standard Uberti. The case colors on the Cimarron are a lot better and the action is a lot smoother. To see any Italian markings other than the cat number on the frame you have to take the ejector rod housing off. Cimarron's barrel address is roll stamped in the same font and style as the old Colt's.
Old November 24, 2011, 06:52 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbarr
Yeah I was aware that Uberti made the stuff Cimarron sells. I talked with somebody there in Fredericksburg and they said that the manufacturing and steel quality was superior to anything else on the market. Like they bought/provided the machinery for Uberti which was or is supposed to be better than what is used for the production of the other firearms.

Anyway, that's still my question - is their stuff made better than the others?
No truth to that. Uberti and then later Pietta upgraded manufacturing technologies in the late 90's and early y2k.

The Cimarron Ubertis are different because the guns are built to Cimarron's specification of a better fit and finish. Same gun with more attention to detail.
Old November 24, 2011, 11:56 AM   #9
MJN77

For what it's worth, I have Uberti revolvers and rifles from Cimarron, Taylor's, Uberti USA, Navy Arms, and Dixie Gun Works. Some are almost twenty years old, and one or two I got this year. The only difference is the company name stamped on the barrel. The fit, finish and function is about the same on all of them, although the newer guns look "prettier". Including cartridge and C&B revolvers I have twenty Uberti pistols. That's my $0.02