The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 12, 2011, 08:24 AM   #1
PigFarmer

Clearing a hang fire

Any advice for clearing a hang fire on a Hawken .50 cal? I have never seem to be able to make the jag on the ramrod work and I don't have a compressor to try compressed air behind it.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Pahoo

More than one way to skin this cat !!

A lot depends on what you have loaded and other factors as well.
My first pass is to recap two or three times. My second pass is pull the load with my screw jag which with my range rod and in the field, the same with a T-handle on the end of my GunRod. I'm talking Sabots as well well as PRB. Sabots are easier to pull than PRB. ...

Others will be along to list other methods like pulling the nipple and putting a pinch of powder in the nipple hole then making sure the nipple is clean, reinstall, and recap a few times. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 12, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:55 AM   #3
chack

are you talking about a hang fire or misfire?
I hangfire goes boom, it just takes longer than it should have.
Old September 12, 2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

The easiest way is to pull the nipple and pack some powder in the hole with a wooden match or a tooth pick. Pack in as much as you can, and make sure your nipple is clear and dry before putting it back in. Re-prime and fire two or three caps. If the powder inside the chamber is dry, then this should clear the load.

Over the years I have noticed 2 or 3 reasons for this problem that might keep it from happening again. 1st and foremost is always be sure to use FRESH DRY powder. Powder that has been stored very long will gather moisture if not stored properly.
A lot of people oil the barrel after cleaning from the year before, and don't bother running a dry patch down the barrel before loading it the next year. This will push any oil in the barrel down into the nipple hole, as soon as you push the bullet down the barrel.
Leaving your rifle loaded over several days of the season will also give it a chance to draw moisture, as the day goes from cool at night to warm during the day.

The worst thing I have found is to bring a loaded rifle, that has been out in the woods all day at 35 or 40 degrees, into a house that is at 75 or 80 degrees for the night, then back out in the woods at 35 or 40 degrees.

As with all things metal, Hot and Cold variations will cause moisture to form outside and inside the barrel, and over a couple of days will cause your powder to moisten, hence a mis-fire.

Hope this helps
Old September 12, 2011, 12:48 PM   #5
PigFarmer

Pahoo -- shooting round lead balls with cloth patch.

chack -- misfire based on your definitions. Pulled trigger cap ignited no big boom. Tried recap several times with no boom.
Old September 12, 2011, 12:57 PM   #6
kwhi43

Are you postive you put powder in it?
Old September 12, 2011, 12:58 PM   #7
zullo74

chack wrote:
Quote:
A hang-fire goes boom, it just takes longer than it should have.
That IS the definition of a hang-fire. A misfire doesn't go at all.

Last edited by zullo74; September 12, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old September 12, 2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Pahoo

A labor of Love !!!

PigFarmer
I understood what you meant even though that's not what you are seeing.
Hangfires I clean; Misfires, I clear. ...
If I don't pay attention to the Hangfires, they eventually will turn into Misfires. ...
I've seen them both and even a stuck ramrods and they are the worse to clear. My passion is in these SideLocks. Typically you should not see many on these TC Hawken models. I see them more, in the cheaper CVA's.

I'm suspecting what I call "Mud". Pull the nipple and pick your way through the ignition channel and into the main chamber. Easy to say but not easy to do. Look for black mud as you go. Clean, redry as best you can with denatures alchohol and repack with pwder, replace the nipple and pop some more caps.

Really hard to troubleshoot yours from here but I'd suggest you go back to the basics and reclean. If your nipple looks suspicious, replace it. Oh heck, replace it anyway. If you have a side cleanout screw, then use it but be careful as these break very easily. do you have a bottom scraper rounded jag? If so, use it as your clearances in this area might be closing up.

Again, on a PRB, with lubricated patch I have no problem pulling the ball with my screw jag. Might want to soften the bore with a little good old #13. Ya just got to be patient and make sure you get a good bight into that lead. ...
Another word of caution is twisting the rod. On you TC, you may have a Hickory, glass, Poly over glass or even aluminum. The Hickoy probably won't take the twist so go with a mon-wooden one or CO2.

By the way, I own two of the CO2 dischargers. One was used once on a stuck ramrod and the other one has never been used.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 12, 2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old September 13, 2011, 09:28 PM   #9
troy_mclure

ive used my small air compressor, 100psi pushed the load right out, including the dead spider that was blocking the nipple.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."