The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 15, 2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Lee McNelly

traditional sidelocks v inlines

some say thats progress for inlines to develope from sidelocks they say that the y can be stuffed w what 150 grains whey that is a lot 100+ for sidelocks

but one of the reasons i bought a sidelock was for its appearance of the originals that were carried buy my mothers family some were colonist and others were natives

i wanted to pass something down to my grandson for those of that period

I can teach him how to hunt, how to care for the sidelock and cast and loading and the serenity of Gods outdoors

Please dont take what I've said to downgrade the inlines at all but there is nothing prettier that the wood and brass of a nice sidelock and that plume of smoke

Hunting season is approaching and time for a visit to the range for many
Please be safe for yourself and others.
Have a good hunting and shooting experience
John/Lee McNeely

Last edited by Lee McNelly; September 15, 2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old September 15, 2011, 03:30 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

A member at THR posted an image of a Brock (or Brockway) 1850s inline target gun. Unfortunately, I could not get him to write an article on it for Muzzle Blasts magazine. So, while they have been around for a century and a half, I still prefer sidelock guns including the minie rifle over any in-line. In line folks brag about how accurate their guns are at 100 yards. They forget that a minie will shoot out to 500 yards. However, for artistry, you can't beat an American long rifle with its relief carved curly maple stock that has been embellished with silver wire inlays.

Lee - any ancestral guns left in the family and can you share some of your family's history with us?
Old September 15, 2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Lee McNelly

ancient history I call it 101

A cousin of mine started doing a family tree for her self anf that of those interested. Lets start off w my grandmothers side of the tree.

It was traced back to Pocohontas and the tribe she was from in the Virginias.

Then the founders of the first school for the deaf in the americas was one of my forefathers along w the gentleman who brought forth Tabacco and started the industry here in the early colonies.

One of the earliest Supreme Court Justices was a forefather as well it has been found.

One or more of the signers of the Declaration of Independence was a relative of mine.

I at this time dont have the specific documentation my brother has a hard copy 30 min away from me

If from what i've seen looked like an unabridged dictionary

For the entertainment of the gents here Ill try to get and post more w name and dates in the near future.

Thanks for asking
enjoyed talking about it

ps I grew up w a teacher who was a great great great daughter of Mr. D Boone yep i felt priviledge to know her and her family
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ava2.jpg (3.9 KB, 12 views)
Old September 15, 2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Sarge

Best muzzle-loader I've ever had is ol' Santa Fe, a sidelock .53 1/2.

Old September 15, 2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Newton24b

on inlines..

powder charges are inconsequential here. most of the 150 grain powder charge data is well marketing hype. ive only seen one leading manufacturer put that as an ok powder charge to use with any projectile. every manual ive seen for the latest inlines all stop at 100-120 grains.

the barrels are so short lately that the inlines cant USE that much powder efficiently, and youll get massive amounts of wasted powder. if you use 50 grain powder pellets youll waste the one under the projectile by watching it fly downrange on fire.

the main advantage for the market in inline weaponry is the ignition system. the last decade its NORMAL for the enclosed breech system to be 90% watertight when its loaded and closed, ready to be used. thats massive important when hunting.
cleaning is the biggest issue. 99 percent of people think you still need to either throw the whole sidelock gun into a bathtub of hot water and let it rust to heck in the process.
while with an inline it pops apart like your favorite pump shotgun or break open shotgun. and everyone doesnt care about getting down and dirty with it.
Old September 15, 2011, 09:29 PM   #6
B.L.E.

One of the nice things about a sidelock is that the powder fouling stays out of the lock work, that's probably one reason why old time muzzleloaders were predominently sidelock designs. With a hooked patent breech, the barrel comes out of the stock with the removal of a wedge and then you can put the butt end of the barrel in a can of cleaning solution and pump it in and out of the barrel with a cleaning rod and patch on a jag and have that thing completely clean in just a few minutes. It's not really that big a deal.
Old September 15, 2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Ideal Tool

Hello, everyone.. That O.P. that heard about the limit of b.p. charge in sidelocks sounds like so much of the same internet B.S. going on all over firearms sites nowdays! I suggest they educate themselves and either read up or better yet...attend a muzzle loading slug-gun match! These rifles are more akin to light artillery!
Old September 15, 2011, 10:37 PM   #8
B.L.E.

Most slug guns use underhammer locks.