The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 17, 2014, 02:49 PM   #1
gyvel

"Delrin" blue on Smith & Wesson

Could someone tell me exactly what "Delrin" blue is (or "Delrin Black" finish) as it pertains to a Smith & Wesson revolver? Thanks.

Last edited by gyvel; March 17, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old March 17, 2014, 02:55 PM   #2
4thPoint

Delrin is a form of plastic, isn't it?
Depending upon the circumstances I would think it was short for 'blued metal with delrin-material grips'. The only time I've ever seen it mentioned as being an integral part of a firearm was an early concept "Air Marshal" concept in the early 70's with a non-reloadable delrin cylinder intended to prevent the revolver from being converted to offensive use by hijackers.

Last edited by 4thPoint; March 17, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old March 17, 2014, 03:01 PM   #3
gyvel

That's what I was wondering. I was looking into a plug for my Smith Revolver, but the guy that makes them states that they are "Delrin Black," and will match the finish on the "300 Series" revolvers.

My revolver has a gloss blue finish and I'm not sure it's going to match.
Old March 18, 2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Roughedge

Its a plastic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene . How are you going to use it on a revolver? Is it to fill in the safty lock hole?
Old March 19, 2014, 02:35 AM   #5
Webleymkv

By "300 series" revolvers I can only guess that he's referring to models with three-digit model numbers beginning with 3. If such is the case, then all such models have scandium-alloy frames. All such revolvers have what S&W describes as a "matte black" finish which most certainly isn't blued (I doubt that scandium alloy can be blued like carbon steel can). My best guess is that the plug you're looking at is made of delrin and colored to match the matte black finish of scandium-frame S&W revolvers, I highly doubt that it would match your gloss blue finish.

If you intend to remove the internal lock, you could simply remove the lock "flag" and leave the other components in place. This would disable the feature of the lock without leaving the hole which necessitates a plug.
Old March 19, 2014, 03:49 AM   #6
gyvel

After I looked at the mechanism, it was apparent that it could be easily defeated, but I would still like to plug the hole. The guy in WVA that's making plugs only offers them in stainless (brushed and bright) and "Delrin Black finish." I asked him if he made one in gloss blue, and his answer was to "wax the plug" to make it shiny.

The plug itself isn't a complicated thing, but he has a unique way of securing it from the inside with a grasshopper clip.

The other fly in the ointment is the slot cut next to the hammer where the flag protrudes. It's another opening to allow dirt into the action.

Overall, I have to say that their ILS wasn't very well thought out.

Last edited by gyvel; March 19, 2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old March 24, 2014, 06:21 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Delrin is a polymer - a formaldehyde based polymer. I used to shoot a lot of it in injections molding machines back in the early 70's - used for small parts and is very durable. Overheat it and it more or less "evaporates" into a formaldehyde smelling gas that will drive you right out of a plant building. (I was a supervisor in an injection molding plant and if the press operator "slacked off" and didn't keep up with the cycle of the injection molding press, the barrel of the machine would quickly overheat the material. t would imagine the "plugs" are injection molded into their shape and in colors to match/blend with the frame of the revolver?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 30, 2014, 01:03 AM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
t would imagine the "plugs" are injection molded into their shape and in colors to match/blend with the frame of the revolver?
You know, that's a good question. I need to contact him again and ask what his plugs are made of. I assumed they were steel.