The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 14, 2012, 12:09 AM   #1
TennJed

How many rounds a month for your carry

How many rounds a month (on average) do you put through your carry gun each month? I usually put 100 - 200 rounds through mine. So I am going to say 150. It is a Sig P290 BTW.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:34 AM   #2
9mm

0.... I shoot mine atlest 150 rounds a year, if that. I do not want high millage on my carry peice. I know how it works, and how good of a shot I am with it. Glock 19, that I do not need to keep wearing it out. I will buy another Glock 19 to train on if I felt I needed to get better with it. I have done some drills at 7,14 and 25 yards. I feel confident I can use my peice at long range if I needed to hit say a car moving toward me. Mine has about 800-900 rounds through it and is 2 years and a half almost. I think it's a good idea for people to have an extra main carry peice so you can train with one and carry the other. I wanted to get another Glock 19, but I just spend the money on other guns lol..

It did take me a while to train on my j frame S&W, had to shoot it a bunch of times to get those pesky sights lined up. This is the gun I will shoot a few times a year to keep up my aim skills on, those sights are hard......
Old December 14, 2012, 01:53 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

50 a week is best I think.

I did it when I first started carrying, but at this point simply can't spend that much on shooting($1000 a year with WWB).
Old December 14, 2012, 01:58 AM   #4
sfchemist

I reload for my wife's .38 and my .40 and we both fire ~50 rounds a week. Not always easy picking up fired cases in 6" of snow...but we try
Old December 14, 2012, 05:12 AM   #5
Sparks1957

A magazine or two each range trip, usually. Enough to keep the feel of the trigger present in my memory.
Old December 14, 2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Varies from 12 shots to 50 shots per session but I would think best guess is 60 rounds a month if you averaged it out over the year. Had to check my inventory and shooters log to come up with annual ammo use.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 14, 2012, 04:05 PM   #7
j3ffr0

Right now it's about 50 per month. I would like to do more -- at least double, time permitting. I would not want to do less.

It's still just a portion of my monthly shooting. I still shoot at least 250 rounds per month. Most of it is .22lr.

I'd like to double or triple all of it.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:22 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

I think I last fired my J-frame when there was still snow in the shadows of the juniper trees.
So... May?
Prior to that, it saw 78 rounds in about a year.
I don't think it will be shot again until February or March.

So, almost 3 rounds per month, averaged over 27 months.

Edit: I nailed down the exact date. It was February 12th, 2012.
So, it will probably go more than 12 months, without being fired. (But the average remains the same.)

Last edited by FrankenMauser; December 14, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:42 PM   #9
wpsdlrg

Per month ? Hard to say, exactly. Since I have 4 hand guns.....and I carry them all, in rotation.....and I try to get to the range almost every weekend.....and I shoot each one regularly (to stay proficient)......

Oh, heck....I have no idea. I'll GUESS that it averages perhaps 60, for each gun, if figured on a monthly basis.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:42 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Mauser,
there is something to be said for maintaining a skill is easier than building it. One of the reasons I still feel pretty comfortable with my carry gun is all the round I sent through it.

OTOH, if I had a j-frame I might not shoot it much either, especially if a 357.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:15 PM   #11
PT-92

Well I have two answers to the OP. Firstly, prior to the deteriorating economy I would shoot about 400 rounds of 9mm per month with 100-150 of that via my carry gun, namely, a Kel-Tec P11. Secondly and now due to said financial change, ironically I shoot more rounds numerically but the majority of them are now .22lr with 100 rounds of 9mm going downrange (this on average--it will be more, for example, this month as family is coming in for Christmas and we will have several Family "Holiday" Shoots whereby exponentially more rounds will be had .

Old December 14, 2012, 09:18 PM   #12
allaroundhunter

I would guess about 2-300 on average.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old December 14, 2012, 11:03 PM   #13
Mobuck

depends on how many varmints get close enough for me to waste a bullet on.
I seldom fire my carry gun other than a couple of times now and then. I can step to the plates at the corner of my yard and pop off a round as I wish and that's all I need. I may shoot some equivalent rounds through a backup pistol once in a while but I don't put a lot of rounds through my carry gun.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:20 PM   #14
PT-92

Quote:
Mobuck
...I can step to the plates at the corner of my yard and pop off a round as I wish and that's all I need...
I hope you guys that 'can pop a cap off' now and then in their own backyard are indeed lucky as us "city-folk' only dream of such!

Old December 15, 2012, 12:23 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Mauser,
there is something to be said for maintaining a skill is easier than building it. One of the reasons I still feel pretty comfortable with my carry gun is all the round I sent through it.

OTOH, if I had a j-frame I might not shoot it much either, especially if a 357.
I completely agree with the need for maintaining a skill set.
I shoot everything else, quite a bit.

But, regularly shooting that 642 will shake it apart. The 78 rounds I have put through it have already nearly quadrupled play in the crane and cylinder, and the timing is getting worse.

As for the pounding your hand takes with full power loads in a 14.4 oz revolver... you adapt, adjust, and get used to it; or give up and get rid of it. (It came into my possession, because the last owner took the latter option. )
Old December 15, 2012, 12:57 AM   #16
El Paso Joe

I usually get to the range three of four times a week. Most of the time it is a box of reloads per session. If I can get them into a group the size of my palm at 10yds I am ok with it. Excluding called flyers - and there aren't many of them. My fear is that, God forbid, I should take the life of another - even if it is justified - and I would miss and hit someone else. I would recommend "In the Gravest Extreme" as a must read for anyone who might carry and need to use it...
Old December 15, 2012, 01:09 AM   #17
egor20

About once a month or two I shoot my carry load, then reload my magazines.

As for shooting practice ammo out of them about a box of 50 the same time.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 15, 2012, 01:43 AM   #18
jason_iowa

Depends on the month. This time of year I spend very little time at the range. Some months 1 or 2k rounds. Avg 1-200 per month prolly. Not the best way to do it but I could shoot my carry guns blindfolded if you pointed me in the right direction and gave me ranges
Old December 15, 2012, 06:38 AM   #19
Alnamvet68

Weather permitting, I'll go to the outdoor range close by (hate indoor ranges with all the closed in noise and air just filled with healthy lead particles) once a month, and fire about 200 rounds through one of the J frames, same amount of rounds through one of my Colt 1911's, and about 100 rounds or so through my G 19; so I'd say about 500+ rounds a month total.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:58 PM   #20
Crankylove

I usually put 2-3 mags thru my carry gun each time go shoot, so call it 2-300 rounds a year.
Old December 15, 2012, 07:18 PM   #21
dayman

I shoot them a lot when I first get them to make sure they work, but after that.... maybe 20 rounds/month - 5-10 rounds or so every couple weeks. Enough to make sure I can still hit what I point it at and reload in a reasonable amount of time, but not a lot more.
I shoot a lot through my other guns, but I don't carry guns that are particularly fun to shoot a lot (sp101, BG380, XDs).
I guess I do carry my PPQ occasionally, but I wouldn't really consider it my "carry gun".
Old December 15, 2012, 11:02 PM   #22
Hansam

During non-holiday months I average around 300 rounds a week. From November till half way though January every year I find myself not having much time for range time so that number drops dramatically - to about 200-300 rounds per month.

I know a lot of people say not to put that much through your EDC but I look at it as that I REALLY want to know my EDC. If I wear something out its easier for me to replace the part than to have to try and get used to a different gun.
Old December 18, 2012, 01:00 PM   #23
bossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser;
But, regularly shooting that 642 will shake it apart. The 78 rounds I have put through it have already nearly quadrupled play in the crane and cylinder, and the timing is getting worse.
What in the world are you shooting in that thing? I have shot hundreds and hundreds of 38 spl and 38 spl +P in my 638. Lock up is just fine. Granted more 38spl than the +P's, but it's holding up well.

Maybe that other owner shot it a little more than you thought.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.