The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 9, 2017, 06:47 PM   #1
Jacket67

Full Size Polymer 9mm

I've been thinking really hard about this for the past week now so I figured I would post my struggle here.

A full-size polymer frame 9mm seems like something I would really like to pick up next. CCW is covered, so I'm not interested in a g19/p07 sized gun that fits every bill.

Of all the current options, I am really drawn to a CZ P09, and an M&P 2.0 full size with either the 4.25" or 5" barrel.

The polymer CZ's have always been appealing to me. More-so since I've been thinking about adding a FS 9mm. It has a great following, is reportedly reliable, and everything I've read says it shoots like a dream. I held a P07 some time ago and it felt amazing in my hand. I have no reservations against it being da/sa either.

The 2.0 is a brand new gun with some nice upgrades to the original. Being I already own a shield, I wouldn't mind sticking with a more familiar platform. It is said to be a reliable option as well.

The purpose for getting one is primarily HD, with the slight possibility of being a competition gun once I am able to take up that hobby. I really like the P09.... quite a bit. It looks very rugged, but also very sleek. CZ ergos are legendary and I know a good many of you love the platform. I am not, however, crazy about the magazine prices. If it were to be my choice, I'd have to find a way to buy more affordable mags. And as far as I know, parts availability is slim for CZ's as well (please inform me otherwise if I am wrong).

Basically, I'm torn between two guns I like. One looks to be the more practical option being that it is a more popular gun with affordable parts that are easy to get (M&P). The other one is a gun I'm highly interested in trying/buying, but I am not sure if it is a good option for me right now (CZ).

I'd appreciate any input you all have to offer.
Old October 9, 2017, 07:03 PM   #2
DubC-Hicks

I bought an M&P M2.0 9mm in the 4.25" variety last week. Just put 200 rounds through it today and I must say I think I've finally converted from Glock. Already shopping for the 2.0 compact lol

Between the two you listed, that's a hard choice. The CZ has very few aftermarket upgrades besides the ones from Cajun Gunworks. But it's very nice from the factory anyway. As you said though, magazines are $$$$

As I already said, I think the M&P 2.0 is a great pistol. Can't go wrong with either.
Old October 9, 2017, 07:14 PM   #3
Rangerrich99

S&W M&P9 2.0. Excellent gun. The variety of backstraps makes finding your perfect grip shape and size nearly a certainty. 500+ rounds through mine without any failures. Trigger might be the best production striker-fire trigger I've ever personally experienced. Also very accurate out-of-the-box. First range session out I shot a 5-shot 3-inch group at 25 yds with mine, using my plinker reloads.
Old October 9, 2017, 07:27 PM   #4
VoodooMountain

Pick your poison
Both are good but the one that feels best in your hand wins.
Old October 9, 2017, 07:51 PM   #5
JMag1

I'm leaning toward a Beretta APX, fwiw. Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 9, 2017, 08:57 PM   #6
FITASC

The granddaddy would be a Glock 17..............worth a look - rugged, reliable, accurate, simple "point and shoot" operation
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 9, 2017, 09:00 PM   #7
JoeSixpack

Have you taken a look at the full size Beretta px4?
I don't have one but I've seen some good deals on them recently.
I have the metal predecessor the cougar.. nice gun.
Old October 9, 2017, 09:07 PM   #8
OhioGuy

The options are endless. Given your ownership of the Shield, I would stay within the S&W family for a familiar trigger feel.

I went the Walther route. PPS M2 for carry, PPQ M2 5" for range and competition. I picked up the PPQ in .22 for extra practice
Old October 9, 2017, 09:14 PM   #9
disseminator

You can't go wrong with the M&P9 4.25"

I have four of the first gen M&P's and I put Apex trigger in em and they're great.

The new 2.0 grip is really great over the old one and the trigger is good enough that I wouldn't bother changing it. I'll likely get a 2.0 when they release the 4.25" with RMR mount.
Old October 9, 2017, 09:17 PM   #10
Areoflyer09

If you are drawn to CZ, what about a 75 SP-01 Phantom?
Old October 9, 2017, 09:46 PM   #11
ritepath

I love my FDE P-09 it's been my HD gun for 3 or 4 years now unseating my p220. I also love my Shield and loved my 9c.

Both guns are the epitome of reliability, good looks, and easy point and shoot operation. I can take my p-09 and hit the 100yd gong almost 100% of the time if you're wondering about CZ accuracy.

Someone else already posted and I agree the phantom is also another great CZ option in poly.

As for either gun you don't have to richard around with with their triggers or internals, just shoot and enjoy. Mergar makes the CZ mags and you can find them for several bucks less BTW.

FWIW when the 2.0's come out I fell in love with the FDE 9mm 5" and even sold a 45 to fund the purchase. But when I went to buy it, something told me to hold off, that I'd find the right CZ soon. So I spent that money 4 different times before the right CZ come by a few months ago.

Last edited by ritepath; October 9, 2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old October 9, 2017, 10:25 PM   #12
5whiskey

Quote:
It has a great following, is reportedly reliable, and everything I've read says it shoots like a dream. I held a P07 some time ago and it felt amazing in my hand. I have no reservations against it being da/sa either.
I will mirror this opinion of the CZ P-series. I just qualified with my P-07 and it's like I can't miss with the darn thing no matter how fast I go.

None-the-less I have no experience with any M&P pistols so I can't weigh which is the better pistol. All I can say is a CZ P-09 (a bigger version of the P-07) is a very solid choice and I don't think you will be disappointed. The P-09 is gaining popularity in the competition world as well.
Old October 9, 2017, 10:31 PM   #13
Ghost1958

Just me but I'd likely go with ruger sr9 or American.

If I was going MP I'd probably save some bucks and get a SD 9. Same basic pistol.
Old October 10, 2017, 07:54 AM   #14
adamBomb

Both are excellent choices and there are tons of others in this category as well. Go with what feels best. The only reason I would push you towards MP is that you already have one so its much easier to go back and forth between you CCW and HD gun. But you aren't going wrong with either of them. I just got a new HD full size handgun but went with a Beretta 92FS. I loved the all metal feel. I personally didn't like the CZ sights. The MP felt really good for me and I may end up getting the new 15 round compact for a larger capacity CCW gun.
Old October 10, 2017, 08:39 AM   #15
Kvon2

Have you gotten your hands on each yet? They're both great options but if one doesn't feel right to you then you have your decision.

I understand the hesitancy with magazine prices but how often are you really going to buy magazines? It'll hurt initially but unless you're throwing them around I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.
Old October 10, 2017, 10:23 AM   #16
OhioGuy

No matter what you choose, you'll be getting something that's of high quality. The unfortunate reality is that you can't tell how much you really like something by feeling it in a store, or even by running 50 rounds through it as a rental. It takes a long time of actually living with something and learning its quirks and little hidden items that start to annoy you over time, that you never noticed when it was new. It's a lot like being married, only in this case you can have more than one relationship

Personally I don't get hung up too much on things like sights, because those are easily swapped out. I don't like 3-dot sights anyway and would probably replace them on any gun. One thing I wonder about the M2.0 is whether that grip texture will eventually get annoying. Sure, you can grip it when your hands are coated in olive oil, but most of the time they won't be. I know some people who absolutely love it, and others who ended up filing it down or putting some other grip over it because it got irritating after a few months of training with it.
Old October 10, 2017, 12:08 PM   #17
JDBerg

IMHO, an HK P30L is on a whole different level compared to just about every other polymer framed service pistol, costs a little more but I think it’s worth it!
Old October 10, 2017, 12:41 PM   #18
jmhyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
IMHO, an HK P30L is on a whole different level compared to just about every other polymer framed service pistol, costs a little more but I think it’s worth it!
+1

And for a striker-fired version, there's the VP9.
Old October 10, 2017, 12:54 PM   #19
CalmerThanYou

^^Totally agree
Old October 10, 2017, 01:13 PM   #20
vba

Another option would be the Glock 34. I've got one that is very accurate and shoots everything I put in it. The G34 has a 5.3" barrel.
Old October 10, 2017, 02:38 PM   #21
VoodooMountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
Just me but I'd likely go with ruger sr9 or American.

If I was going MP I'd probably save some bucks and get a SD 9. Same basic pistol.
The sd9 is not the same basic pistol as an mp....at all

MP 2.0 is miles ahead
Old October 10, 2017, 04:49 PM   #22
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areoflyer09 View Post
If you are drawn to CZ, what about a 75 SP-01 Phantom?
Had another thought today about this. There is the Tanfoglio Witness P-Match. Should be a larger frame than the 75s, more like a CZ97. About the same price as the 75 Phantom. Finding one may be difficult though in 9mm.
Old October 10, 2017, 04:49 PM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

Based on my limited or non-existent experience with those platforms (but having read plenty of posts by owners), it'd be hard to really go wrong with either choice.
Old October 10, 2017, 05:49 PM   #24
MarkCO

The M&P converted me from the Glocks (after 20 years shooting them) and the CZP09 has converted me from the M&P.
Old October 10, 2017, 06:52 PM   #25
Kilrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
The options are endless. Given your ownership of the Shield, I would stay within the S&W family for a familiar trigger feel.

I went the Walther route. PPS M2 for carry, PPQ M2 5" for range and competition. I picked up the PPQ in .22 for extra practice
I went with PPQ M2 in 5" , but picking up CZ SP01 Friday also