The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 10, 2017, 06:59 PM   #1
rep1954

Handgun Shooting Sling

Anyone try using a handgun shooting sling here? Would like to hear your experience with it and what make of sling it is as well as gun and caliber. I'm sure they must have some awkwardness or they would be more popular. Most I have read about them seems to point towards hunting situations.
Old September 10, 2017, 09:43 PM   #2
Model12Win

Never heard of such a thing.

Folks down this away don't use such contraptions.
Old September 10, 2017, 10:42 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

I've seen others using them and on their invitation I've tried them. They do offer a means to hold the gun steadier, and for those who use them it improves their ability to hold the gun steady. I've seen them on TC Contenders and also on a SW model 29. I'm not inclined to put a sling swivel on the bottom of my handgun grip in order to do this. The TC already had a swivel on both the front and back. The user puts the sling over their neck and adjusts it so that when both hands are fully extended the sling is taunt from the neck to the hands. Myself, I was an Int. class silhouette shooter in the standing class and I also spent many years learning how to shoot well standing. However, I'd rather see someone use a sling to shoot if it helped them make a better shot on a game animal like a deer if they didn't have the ability to make a good shot without using it. If it works for them, more power to them. No difference than using any other type of rest.
Old September 10, 2017, 11:45 PM   #4
BigJimP

I have seen a couple of them on the S&W "X" Frames.....but I don't see them as very practical, except maybe for hunting big game ....but even then, I think you would be better off taking a "rest" on a tree or something over trying to use a sling to stabilize you for a shot.

I thing they are a novelty.....that would end up in that big box of an assorted pile of "stuff " ....we all seem to have that ends up on a gunshow table for sale someday...
Old September 12, 2017, 07:05 PM   #5
HiBC

I never attached one to a handgun.
IMO,the sling's influence at the bottom of the grip would cause vertical stringing.
Back in the early 70's,I played with just having a loop -strap over one shoulder and across my back,and the palm of my shooting hand.I could push against it,but the gun was just held by my hand.
That was a long time ago.I don't remember the results,but had it worked I'd have kept doing it. I did not
Old September 13, 2017, 02:25 PM   #6
scottycoyote

ive seen videos where a guy used one on a ruger charger pistol and it seemed to help him some, definitely better than just standing and trying to shoot it freehanded (the charger i mean)
Old September 13, 2017, 02:36 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Lanyards have been used by civilized cavalry people's handguns for eons. snicker. BHP's, 1911's and assorted revolvers have all had 'em. Slings have been used on hunting revolvers for just about as long.