The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 1, 2015, 08:02 AM   #26
csmsss

Senator Estes' protestations notwithstanding, that is PRECISELY what many Texas police departments intend to do. They weren't pushing so persistently to have the amendment removed out of a concern over vagueness or redundancy vis a vis federal case law - they do not see this as settled law! Have any of you read Acevedo's testimony and public comments? CLEARLY he believes his officers have the right to stop and demand a license from anyone they choose.
Old June 1, 2015, 09:44 AM   #27
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
So apparently Senator Estes, wanted it removed because he was worried that "judges" would interpret this Amendment incorrectly and that this Amendment was completely unnecessary.
Maybe. I don't think that accounts for the number of Representatives who changed their vote. I think there was more going on. Look at Senator Huffman's on-the-record speech in favor of her poison pill amendment to Huffhines amendment. I don't think she believed a single word of what she was saying, she just wanted that Huffhines Amendment gone. So I'm a little reluctant to rely on the record too much.