The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2013, 07:55 PM   #1
BerdanSS

Anyone use the RCBS Summit?

Getting serious about starting to reload. I have talked and thought about it a lot, but with the purchase of my first .44 mag (rifle) I'm dead set on doing it now. I always look at the RCBS rock chucker supreme at the LGS that sells reloading supplies. But I have started looking at the newer RCBS summit single stage. Anyone use one or both of these? recommendation between the two?

I've never done this, so other than my general understanding of firearms and ammunition (I've been told I have a very high understanding of both) I'm pretty green with the process. I've read all the stickys, and also I'm not wanting to spend massive amounts of money right out of the gate on the press. All I need is something really simple and rugged I can keep and use forever, even when I upgrade later. Something I can learn on and turn out high quality, over quantity. Both of these look like good options.

To start off with at least these are the calibers I use and will be reloading the most of.

45 Colt
44 Mag and Special
357 Mag
38 special
30-30 win
45-110

and maybe some 8x57

I will have limited shop space. I currently have no area right now, but I'm in the process of layout for a 12x16 shop. Plans to build within a few weeks. Basically an interior finished mini-barn with heat and air. The reloading portion will be confined to one end of this, with a full 12' building width counter space of some sort with upper and lower cabinet space.
Old November 19, 2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Savage99

I am looking at the RCBS Summit press on their site and I don't favor it's design.

What I don't like is having to reach up there for the handle. I have had a Lyman Eze Loader with a similar "reach up there" handle since 1953 and have favored the RCBS Rockchucker type since the 1960's. I use two RCBS presses.

I prefer this design. RCBS is the best!
ROCK CHUCKER SUPREME PRESS
Old November 20, 2013, 02:12 AM   #3
JimDandy

I've got Hornady myself. I think both are great companies, and gave the tiniest edge in customer service to Hornady, and the tiniest edge in kit contents to RCBS.

Handle location IS important, but it's the one that's right for you. If you mount it low, the high handle may be nice. Mount it high, and the low handle might be if you sit, or the high handle if you stand. In other words, think ergonomics when you get whichever press you want, and when you build your bench for it. Or vice versa, get the press that fits your bench if you've already got one picked out.

For my bench, it's a touch high, and I plan on sitting, so the low handle was called for.

And for a final piece of advice, the handle it comes with doesn't have to be the handle you use. There's a company out there, Inline Fabrication, that makes aftermarket handles, light kits and so on for the common presses out there for sale on their website and Midway USA. I suppose you could also design something yourself and go to a local fabricator.
Old November 20, 2013, 09:37 AM   #4
David Bachelder

Just my opinion, for whatever that's worth.

Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Redding and most all manufacturers of single stage "O" frame presses are pretty much equal. I'd stick with cast iron construction if I were you. I'm not sure but I think Hornady's single stage is an Aluminum Alloy. Hornady makes some great stuff, so aluminum would be fine in this case.

Me .... I'd go with the RockChucker, but only because I own one and I know they are very good presses.
Old November 20, 2013, 11:39 AM   #5
BerdanSS

The rock chucker is sounding better and better. Really the only difference I can see looking at them online is the summit is table top mounted and the die moves to the case not the other way around. Would that make any kind of noticeable difference?

As for bench level, it is going to be standard counter. Mostly because I have two VERY comfortable bar chairs that will be going in there.
Old November 20, 2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Savage99

In theory a press that moves the case might rattle it a bit in the shell holder.

All of the industrial presses I worked with like transfer presses, progressives all moved the tools to the work.
Old November 20, 2013, 12:01 PM   #7
mikld

The Summit press may be a good press, time will tell. For a new reloader I would suggest starting with tried and true equipment. You cannot go wrong with a good, modern single stage "O" design press, of any manufacturer (except Smart Reloader). All the modern manufactured single stage presses will last you a lifetime of reloading and your choice of RCBS equipment is a good choice/investment. The time for trying out "new" designs or "improved" methods is after the basics are learned, when ya got 'em down pat!
Old November 20, 2013, 12:12 PM   #8
GWS

I have both. The Rock Chucker has been in use for many many years and no sign of wearing out. The Summit I brought to check it out. I like the design. And I have an idea or two on how it's going to fit in with my other equipment.

Features I like:
1. For one thing its got an open front and makes it easy to see, and easier to feed.
2. You can mount it anywhere....you don't have a handle hanging over the bench.
3. Optionally you can buy a short handle to go with the long one, which possibly makes it ideal to punch out primers, seat bullets, use a separate crimper, on and on.
4. Made in America of Cast Iron.
5. Maybe, and I repeat maybe it can seat bullets with less runout. (I'm working on a test to check that out, to prove or disprove it.

Anyway it was perfect for a new winter project for me. Would I replace the Rock Chucker? Not even a hint of a chance. All of the above is to enhance the whole loading experience, not to replace what is STILL RCBS's flag ship single station product...the venerable Rock Chucker. I am planning a complete picture review of the Summit, before Christmas.

See what I mean by easy to see:

I already upgraded the spent primer cup! clear tubing delivers them to a container under the bench. (yes....all of them)

Yup....I mounted the press slightly angled (and close to my Rock Chucker) Ergo inspired. Now, seated, without a need to shift or move myself or my stool, I can use either or both presses at once comfortably. Show you in my coming review.

I did order a short handle that recently arrived. I like!......to the guy who says he doesn't like the handle from above.....I say...try it before you say that. Short fast stroke is well.....addicting!

Last edited by GWS; November 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old November 20, 2013, 12:12 PM   #9
AllenJ

Using Midway as my price checker I don't see spending that much more on the Summit Press. I've been using my Rockchucker for over 30 years and it is still going strong.
Old November 20, 2013, 01:01 PM   #10
GWS

Well, Allen, it all relative to whether a person has a need, a want, an or an itch to scratch.......and of course the extra funds set aside to take care of them..... What I can say about the press is it's interesting.....a new idea based on some old ideas, and it has a nitch or two that it can fill really nice. RCBS hasn't really pushed the press toward some specific use excepting that they're offering the short handle......and that's pointing to seating or decrimping or other low torque operations.

I point blank asked an RCBS R&D engineer I know if it was aimed to replace the Rock Chucker. He said flatly, "No, the Rock Chucker is still our top of the line single station press." He did not elaborate....you know how they are....without company authorization they don't. Yes, it's priced up there with other high quality presses, because it is a high quality press. Once set up, lubed properly, and arms adjusted, the handle moves smooth and rich.......uh, well, you know.....exactly like a Rock Chucker.

I also asked the engineer if it would be a good press to make mobile to take to the range. He said that it might be a bit heavy for that use.......but for one reloader that's exactly what he's set it up for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i9phIfc0SE

Last edited by GWS; November 20, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old November 20, 2013, 04:49 PM   #11
AllenJ

Quote:
Well, Allen, it all relative to whether a person has a need, a want, or an itch to scratch
I understand all three of those things I did not mean any disrespect with my comments above, I was only trying to point out that the Summit press' price might be more than someone just starting out needs. I do not doubt it is an outstanding press and when they were first introduced I had to remind myself of the difference between need and want!
Old November 21, 2013, 12:28 AM   #12
GWS

You are right....absolutely true story if he is as poor as I was when I bought my Rock Chucker 42 years ago.......I had to go in with 2 friends to buy it......later bought them out. But if the O.P. has the means, I wouldn't summarily dismiss the Summit. It does have some neat features to trumpet.

Right now I think a Rock Chucker "Kit" is the best bet for most new loaders wanting to start out with a great press and have quality keeper accessory tools included. None of the other brands equal RCBS's Rock Chucker Kit. The Lee Classic Cast would be a contender as a press only, but their "kit" doesn't come with accessory tools I'd keep long...just an opinion mind you. Same with Hornady kits....and Hornady presses are okay, but aluminum breaks sooner.

Last edited by GWS; November 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old November 21, 2013, 05:04 AM   #13
Mike / Tx

Over the years I couldn't tell you how many rounds I have turned out on single stage presses. I used them for not only rifle but for many revolver loads as well. They simply give a much better feel for the crimp than does my progressive.

I started out in the early 70's with a Wells C type which my pop purchased back around '60 or so, and it still does a great job of fabricating very accurate rounds. My initial purchase of a new press was Roch Chucker Supreme and I have found I like most things about it. If I could change anything it might be the primer catch or drop on it. I usually end up with about as many in the tray as on the floor. With my old Wells they fall straight through the ram into a nice little catch bag I put under it.

As with anything I do I also have a Partner press as well as a couple of the small Lee presses as well. Not that I would recommend either of these for someone just starting out they have their place and do offer some a reasonable entry into loading who might be on a tight budget, or are simply loading for one caliber only. I use mine when I am in the country or at the range as they allow me to have a compact easy to set up assembly line so to speak. I have them mounted to flat bar which I can C-clamp just about anywhere for loading on the go.

The cast iron presses are the way to go. Personally, and I guess it has to do with what I got accustomed to with the Wells, I like the C type over the O type. That said they will both produce plenty accurate ammunition if your doing everything else correct. If your getting into BR then you might skip both and simple get an arbor type.

For handgun only, or a single rifle caliber your on the right track. You might also LOOK at some of the turret type presses which are offered. These give you the ability to set up your dies and leave them set for what you load, and simply change out the turret when changing caliber. I picked one up not long ago and have put it to some pretty serious use over the past couple of months. Didn't need it at all but thought I would give it a try and see what all the whoopla was all about. While they have their issues like any other, I find it is easier for me to swap out a die plate to change calibers, than it is to break down my progressive to simply load up a box or two of something for testing. It is also much faster to simply turn the turret to the next die rather than screwing and unscrewing them into the single stage. These are also offered by several manufactures and aren't a bad deal for an intro press. Knowing what I do now that I have used one, I might have gone this route years ago instead of picking up one of my other single stage types.

Bottom line is that just about any of the cast iron C or O types will last you a lifetime of loading with a little bit of care and maintenance. They are for sure the best way to start out loading in order to get to know each stage of the process and keep things simple. Even starting with one of the less expensive ones just to get your feet wet, will gain you some good knowledge of the process and give you an idea of what you REALLY might need or want to improve upon. For simply loading handgun these work just fine. I have even loaded calibers up to 300 RUM on my little ones with few issue and the loads are just as accurate as those I have loaded on my bigger cast iron presses. They aren't built for serious pressure like swedging brass from one caliber to the next, or swedging primer pockets, but they do an admiral job of everything else. With a set of carbide dies they are sweet for handgun and they take up little room.

Hope I have given a halfway decent overview of what it out there. I have found not necessarily a need, but a function for each of the ones I have. They all serve their purpose and fit well within my way of dong things.