The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2000, 04:20 PM   #1
Fisher

I'm trying to find out if anyone knows what velocity factory ammo shoots at. I'm getting ready to start reloading for my Remington 700 VS. I've decided on the Sierra MatchKing in 168 Grain HPBT. I will probably experiment with the Vmax and the ballistic tips later but for now I needed a starting point.

I know this has been talked about before on here but I couldn't seem to find it with the search routine. I will be using this gun to dust off a few groundhogs in the spring. So if any of you have any pet loads you would like to share I would appriciate it.

Thanks
Old December 9, 2000, 05:10 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Best way to find out factory ammo velocities is to go to the respective websites. I know that Federal,Remington and Winchester all publish velocities on their websites. Try a search engine to find them. Usually they're taken from 24" barrels, so you may want to buy some and chronograph their loads through your own barrel to account for weapon to weapon differences. Use the results for the factory ammo as a benchmark and try to dulplicate their accuracy and velocity.
Old December 9, 2000, 11:37 PM   #3
John Marshall

Federal says the 168gr Sierra MatchKing in their Gold Medal Match goes out at 2600fps. This cartridge is considered by many to be the benchmark for accuracy with the 168gr bullet in a factory loading.
Old December 11, 2000, 10:46 AM   #4
Fisher

Thanks John. I plan on reloading a few rounds at 2600 for this weekend to see how it does. Thanks again for the information.
Old December 11, 2000, 12:26 PM   #5
Bogie

disclaimer - I shoot benchrest

Campers, you've just GOT to remember that velocity does not equal accuracy. This is not a race.

What makes for accuracy are your barrel's vibrational characteristics. Your barrel may be vibing all over the place at your "low standard deviation" loads.

Go out to 200 or 300 yards. Put out some wind indicators, and pay attention to 'em. Shoot only when they're in a consistent condition. Take the sling swivels off the rifle, and shoot from a nice solid bench/bag setup, with the rifle able to recoil consistently.

Load three rounds with a starting load. Shoot 'em. You'll likely see a vertically strung group (if you're doing things right). Add about .2 grains powder, and try another. You should see the vertical tighten up. Keep going, and watch for pressure signs. You'll see your vertical tighten, and then open up again. Where it is tightest, that's your sweet spot. Fire a five-shot group to check. You may have several sweet spots.

I like 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and 4895. I get better accuracy with them than with matchkings.

Old December 11, 2000, 02:47 PM   #6
Hutch

In my 700vs

47.1 grains of H380, Fed LR primer, Sierra 168MK (no moly for me, thanks). Right on the mark of 2600 FPS, and has won me 2 benchrest matches (brag, brag). One was .669 avg for 5 five-shot groups, the other .749. For me, that's good shooting.
Old December 12, 2000, 08:33 AM   #7
DAVID NANCARROW

I've owned my VS in 308 for about 10 years, and have had excellent groups with 44 grains of Reloder 15, CCI No34 primer and a 2.8 overall length. No chronograph yet (PLEASE SANTA!) but lays them in at under a half inch. My 165 grain ballistic tip hunting load is essentially the same, and groups as well. H380 and BLC-2 do very well also. Its really hard to find a terrible load for this rifle in any weight bullet from 125 to 180 grains-just a middle speed powder and attention to detail will get you to the dance in fine shape. My VS barrel was touching the forestock about half way up and the trigger was a bit heavy, but a screwdriver and a dremel tool later put me where I wanted to be in less than 30 minutes!
Old December 12, 2000, 09:57 PM   #8
Fisher

Thanks again guys. This is what I was looking for. I know I can look in my manuals and pull out any number of different loads for the 308 round. But I wanted to hear what works for you and what problems you have run in to. Not to mention the problems I might avoid because of what you point out for me.

Thanks
Old December 14, 2000, 12:41 AM   #9
El Rojo

I like the V-max 110's and Speer TNT HP 125's.

I have shot numerous squirrels with the Hornady 110gr V-max with great success. When I shoot them at paper though, they don't seem to hold as good as a group as I would like. They destroy squirrels though and the two rabits I shot made me feel really bad due to the extreme violence of the bullet destroying the rabbit.

I ordered 500 of the Speer 125gr TNT HP and they hold better groups on paper that the 110's. They seem to do just as good as a job on squirrels and there are 5 coyotes now that really dislike that bullet. It just blows huge holes in coyotes and they don't go far. I had one frontal shot that left no exit wound. I figured his inside must have been complete mush!

For target I use the Sierra 168 HPBT match moly with great results. I have shot several sub moa groups using my reloads and the 168's. I used some Hornady 178 A-max for a 100 yard shoot with my Rem 700 VS and was really pleased with the results. I shot a 385-10x for my first 1000 yard shoot just shooting off of my Harris Model L bipod. It was a heck of a lot of fun. I just ordered a 500 pack of the Sierra 175 HPBT moly match and if I get a chance to shoot them this weekend, I will update you on how they did.

The .308 is a very versitile round with numerous uses. I hope you have a good reloaded (I have the Dillon 550B) and plenty of time on your hands. You have plenty to play with.