The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 8, 2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Eve379

Question regarding California gun show purchase

I'm new to the forums, and have scoured it looking for an answer to my question. It's kind of a silly little question. I'm aware of all the hoops I'll have to jump through as far as the 10-day wait, DROS, HSC card, etc....

So, here's the actual question. Since gun shows travel, do I need to get the information from my local gun shop to have the gun sent there after the 10-day wait? Or, do I have to drive to the gun show dealers location?

I know this seems like a silly question. I've just always had hand me downs and I'm just really excited to get my own so I want to have all my t's crossed and i's dotted!

Thanks so much!
Eve
Old March 8, 2010, 11:35 AM   #2
NavyLT

You should be able to have the gun show dealer send the gun to your local FFL. The ten day weight/DROS/4473 - all that will be with your local FFL, not with the gun show dealer. It is no different than buying a gun from an online auction. You will probably want to take a signed copy of your local dealer's FFL with you.

Good luck, Eve!
Old March 9, 2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

Here's the usual drill at gun shows in California:

There is usually one or more local dealers present who have agreed to act as a transfer agent. So you buy your gun from the seller at the gun show, and he walks it over to one of the local dealers who will handle the transfer.

You fill out the paperwork with the transfer dealer, and he keeps the gun. When the ten days are up, you go over to his local shop and pick up the gun.

I've bought a number of guns at our local gun shows, and that's how it's always worked. I've never had a dealer doing the transfer charge a service charge -- just the State fee for processing the paperwork.
Old March 9, 2010, 12:17 AM   #4
NavyLT

Yep, that makes perfect sense too, Fiddletown, if the gun show is actually local to the OP...
Old March 9, 2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLT
Yep, that makes perfect sense too, Fiddletown, if the gun show is actually local to the OP...
Yep, you're right. I didn't think of that.

I've seldom gone to a non-local show. In fact, the only time I did was some years back I went to one of the big shows in Reno. I came fully equipped with several signed licenses from one of the FFLs who accommodates me from time to time (I figure that I've been a big help putting his kids through college).

The irony was that I wound up buying a rifle and a shotgun from a dealer who has a shop local to me. So I did the California paperwork and then picked up the guns at his local California shop.
Old March 9, 2010, 03:36 AM   #6
BillCA

I'll add this...

If you're using an FFL local to you, be sure you understand what fees, if any, he may charge you for handling the transfer. For some shops, if you can buy the same gun from them (i.e. a current production model) they may charge you a fee or higher fee to make buying from them a better deal. Just be sure you understand all the fees.